Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
twinthe_12

What's happening with George Thorne?

Recommended Posts

At the last home game chap a few rows in front of me in the south stand was watching a different game on his phone!!

Edited by rsmini

Share this post


Link to post

This debate should be wether Thorne is good enough to start in the first 11 or on the bench. Has he got a future at the club or not. That will be decided by the management team with what they see in training and U23 matches and how they see him compared with the likes of Evans. His phone habits or demeanour during a first team game won’t even matter one bit compared to his football abilities. That’s what should be discussed and opinionated.  

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

This debate should be wether Thorne is good enough to start in the first 11 or on the bench. Has he got a future at the club or not. That will be decided by the management team with what they see in training and U23 matches and how they see him compared with the likes of Evans. His phone habits or demeanour during a first team game won’t even matter one bit compared to his football abilities. That’s what should be discussed and opinionated.  

That is not completely correct Horsforth. To play at a professional level requires total commitment to the cause. Of course ability is first and foremost but 100% dedication and application also absolutely essential.  Now, we all know George has/had the ability so why isn't he in the first team picture? Is he mentally finished? Is he lazy? Is he unable to physically perform at the top level? Something is very wrong. He's a young player who has once been our best player, its all very strange. As some have said before why on earth Steve Nicholson and Radio Derby aren't all over this I don't know.

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

This debate should be wether Thorne is good enough to start in the first 11 or on the bench. Has he got a future at the club or not. That will be decided by the management team with what they see in training and U23 matches and how they see him compared with the likes of Evans. His phone habits or demeanour during a first team game won’t even matter one bit compared to his football abilities. That’s what should be discussed and opinionated.  

As SP has touched on … I am afraid you are wrong on that. Nowadays a players professional attitude is also brought into the equation. Not just about being a decent footballer. How they conduct themselves is important. It shows willingness, botheredness,, attitude, commitment etc etc …

If he is house hunting on a Saturday afternoon for example do you think he is arsed about being with the lads? Should we not discuss that? Does it matter? Of course it matters. Being on his phone all game whilst a game is on? Should it matter? Of course it should.

If you were a manager with lots of talent at a club (which we have), would you be thinking to yourself, yes I am picking him next week. He looks well up for it. Of course you wouldn't.

In my opinion he isn't good enough. He is certainly way behind in the midfield positions available. Would love him to prove me wrong though but just cannot see it.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, therams69 said:

As SP has touched on … I am afraid you are wrong on that. Nowadays a players professional attitude is also brought into the equation. Not just about being a decent footballer. How they conduct themselves is important. It shows willingness, botheredness,, attitude, commitment etc etc …

If he is house hunting on a Saturday afternoon for example do you think he is arsed about being with the lads? Should we not discuss that? Does it matter? Of course it matters. Being on his phone all game whilst a game is on? Should it matter? Of course it should.

If you were a manager with lots of talent at a club (which we have), would you be thinking to yourself, yes I am picking him next week. He looks well up for it. Of course you wouldn't.

In my opinion he isn't good enough. He is certainly way behind in the midfield positions available. Would love him to prove me wrong though but just cannot see it.

John Terry watched Chelsea instead of Villa when he was injured 

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure if it's been mentioned in another thread, but it's been announced recently that he's going to be a father.

Edited by BurtonRam7

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned in another thread, but it's been announced recently that he's going to be a father.

How very dare he?!?! First he's looking at his phone, then he went on holiday, now he's making babies with his Mrs and all while employed at Derby. Nothing short of shameful if you ask me...

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, 86 points said:

How very dare he?!?! First he's looking at his phone, then he went on holiday, now he's making babies with his Mrs and all while employed at Derby. Nothing short of shameful if you ask me...

I agree. Let's bash him some more until he gets the message

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, therams69 said:

As SP has touched on … I am afraid you are wrong on that. Nowadays a players professional attitude is also brought into the equation. Not just about being a decent footballer. How they conduct themselves is important. It shows willingness, botheredness,, attitude, commitment etc etc …

If he is house hunting on a Saturday afternoon for example do you think he is arsed about being with the lads? Should we not discuss that? Does it matter? Of course it matters. Being on his phone all game whilst a game is on? Should it matter? Of course it should.

If you were a manager with lots of talent at a club (which we have), would you be thinking to yourself, yes I am picking him next week. He looks well up for it. Of course you wouldn't.

In my opinion he isn't good enough. He is certainly way behind in the midfield positions available. Would love him to prove me wrong though but just cannot see it.

I'm with @HorsforthRam on this. George isn't a fan, he's an employee. He doesn't need to be there cheering on the team if he's not available for selection. He's probably been told/asked to attend but the fact he's there on his phone shouldn't matter to anyone at all. Why should it? It's not going to affect what's happening on the pitch in any way.

It's not a question of "being arsed" to go an watch others play. If he's not required in the 18 and not required by the club to do anything in a promotional/ambassadorial sense he's welcome to do what he wants with his Saturday afternoon.

None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. If he's been told he's out of the picture and his time here is up, I'd imagine the last place on earth I'd want to be on game day is watching a team I'm never going to play for. If he's been told he's still in the picture, then do your work on the training game and for the U23s. That's when as a manager you would judge where he's "well up for it". I doubt Lampard notices or cares during a game whether his non-selected players are hanging on every kick.

I agree that how you conduct yourself as a footballer is really important. But that's more about how you behave with the public and on a night out. If he's gone out and got pissed and started a fight, then he opens himself up to everything that's coming his way. But I think it's harsh to criticise that you've attended a game and are looking at your phone (along with several other people around you no doubt).

 

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'm with @HorsforthRam on this. George isn't a fan, he's an employee. He doesn't need to be there cheering on the team if he's not available for selection. He's probably been told/asked to attend but the fact he's there on his phone shouldn't matter to anyone at all. Why should it? It's not going to affect what's happening on the pitch in any way.

It's not a question of "being arsed" to go an watch others play. If he's not required in the 18 and not required by the club to do anything in a promotional/ambassadorial sense he's welcome to do what he wants with his Saturday afternoon.

None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. If he's been told he's out of the picture and his time here is up, I'd imagine the last place on earth I'd want to be on game day is watching a team I'm never going to play for. If he's been told he's still in the picture, then do your work on the training game and for the U23s. That's when as a manager you would judge where he's "well up for it". I doubt Lampard notices or cares during a game whether his non-selected players are hanging on every kick.

I agree that how you conduct yourself as a footballer is really important. But that's more about how you behave with the public and on a night out. If he's gone out and got pissed and started a fight, then he opens himself up to everything that's coming his way. But I think it's harsh to criticise that you've attended a game and are looking at your phone (along with several other people around you no doubt).

 

Okay first point … If he has been told / asked to attend he should be there, end of.

Second point … Being on his phone. For this game he was part of the squad but not selected in the matchday squad. He was required to be there and did a warm down after game. I was more making the point of a culture problem at this time. He should be supporting the players on the pitch and taking an interest into how they are getting on. He wasn't as i have already stated. No its probably not going to affect what is going on, on the pitch, but if i was a fellow team mate playing and happened to see him not arsed watching the game it doesn't bode well for team morale imho. Bear in mind, Brentford is a ground where this can be seen by the players on the pitch, not high  up in the stands. We (and i use that term lightly being the biggest stakeholder in the club) are paying him to represent our club. Would you employee someone to spend all their time on the phone. Especially considering the wages they are on these days.

Third point … Some of us do know what's going on behind the scenes with various forum members posting good information. I disagree on your point of Lampard caring about his non selected players hanging on every kick. Lamps has made it clear the door is not shut for any of these lot. Being around the place and showing you want to be part of it will show him a lot.

Fourth point … He is no Jeff Hendrick LOL!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.