The reality is

jimbobram

9 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Not to be devil's advocate, but I'm not going to be overly harsh on Jerome. He'd probably have scored at least 10 under McClaren by now. A lot of ineffective forwards under Rowett (Martin, Bent, Ince) came into McLarens teams to immediately look like world beaters. Ronaldo would probably be a 1 goal defensive midfielder in our current setup.

But this is my point. If you know how you are going to set up...Why get a player who doesn't suit that ? This means its a poor signing.  Same goes for Hudds. Brilliant player, ineffective in the style we play. If you are going to play 2 CDM in this formation, you need them to be able to run, tackle, hunt the ball down.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I thought I'd start this thread with a common phrase used by Mr Rowett and please note this isn't based solely on yesterdays embarrassment, this could have been posted months ago. 

The reality is that the transfers in and out have been awful. Other than Curtis Davies and Ledley, the transfers in have been a complete waste of money. Letting Bryson leave, who is the only central midfielder at the club who can run forward, tackle and link defense to attack, is absolutely criminal. Not playing and then loaning out a proven goal scorer AGAIN (bearing in mind that he had just been given a lucrative new deal by GR) and then replacing him with Cameron Jerome is a complete joke. GR knew what he needed to improve on in the Jan window, and improve is the key word. Mitrovic, Afobe, Grabban...all available for loans, all better than what we have, but we go for Jerome, a player who couldn't get into a mid table Norwich team. Awful. 

The reality is the tactics are all wrong. For those who were not fans of Mac, part of your complaints were that we never had a plan B. Rowett has not changed formation all season. No matter who we play, the same formation is used, and this leads to us being dominated by whoever we play. Playing with 2 defensive midfielders is fine, but, if they cannot tackle or close teams down...what is the point ? The middle of the park has been so open this season for this exact reason. I am a big fan of Tom Huddelstone but he is only effective when we are in possession of the ball and he can do what he is known for, passing. When we dont have the ball, which is most of the time, there is no point in him being on the field. This isn't Hudds fault, this is down to the way we are set up. We bring in, in my opinion, one of the most creative, young, attack minded midfielders in Palmer. Bench him week in week out. When he does comes on, GR puts him in next to Hudds instead of changing formation! Baring in mind we are 2-1 down to bottom of the league Burton.

The reality is that I could name maybe 3 or 4 performances this season where we have been brilliant. And by brilliant I mean put effort into. Hull, Forest, Ipswich, Boro. Even throughout the unbeaten spell before Christmas the performances weren't great. 

The reality is that we don't want a manger who can try and banter Forest and Cardiff, when we in a situation like we are because at the end of the season Neil Warnock and Cardiff will most likely be celebrating promotion and Forest will be laughing at yet another failed Derby County season. 

The reality is that even if we do make the play offs and somehow sh*thouse our way through and win at Wembley, I think we should genuinely be very worried about results in the Premier league. The quality in that league would not let us off the way we have been let off in many games this season.  

The reality is we haven't played 'the Derby way' since Mel Morris invented that term. I don't enjoy match day anymore. The atmosphere, the spectacle and the fun of match days have gone. I support Derby through and through and I will continue to go to PP, but we need to get our identity back.  

The reality is sacking a manager every season isn't the best route to take, but as you can probably tell from this post, I don't believe Rowett is the man for us in the long term. 

I understand there are other factors to this such as player mentality, but you need leadership from the top, and when things are clearly not working, you need your manager to work his magic. 

Agree with pretty much everything except for the Ledley part. Personally I can't believe so many people rate Ledley, I feel he is one of the worst culprits as Burton's second goal shows. If he was any good Palace would have given him another year and made him a squad player. Perhaps because we have been forced to watch Butterfield and Johnson, this made him look a lot better than he is. 

Just saw a mate who’s a Blues fan and they used to say Rowett’s team was hard to beat but hard to watch.  Just about sums it up for me (apart from being hard to beat since January!) - the way he sets his team up is too negative, especially against the Burtons and Sunderlands.  And he’s too stubborn / inflexible to change things.

I’m really in two minds. Can’t see things getting better for the reasons above but the alternative is yet another manager having a go at the squad.

Archived