Michael Tonge - Stoke

vicky-27

Maybe coming on loan

In a busy last few days, Derby have stepped up their bid to add new faces to the squad ahead of the transfer window closing at 5pm tonight.

They have asked about taking Stoke City midfielder Michael Tongue on loan and considered making an offer for Plymouth Argyle forward Jamie Mackie, whose goal sank the Rams at Home Park last week.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New player, new thread. And this new player in question I would ruddy love to see him join Derby. Not quite Premiership quality although did a cracking job at Sheffield United in this league, pretty handy at free kicks as well if memory serves me right.

Derby County's squad has been further strengthened today with the capture of Michael Tonge on loan from Premier League Stoke City.

The 28 year old midfielder has a wealth of experience in the top flight and the Championship and has signed until the end of the season.

He enjoyed a successful loan spell at Preston North End earlier in the campaign.

Tonge is a versatile midfielder, who can play central or out wide and will go straight into the squad to face his former club Sheffield United at the weekend.

Rams manager Nigel Clough says it's a great signing:

"Michael is a player with a proven pedigree and will give us added quality in the ranks.

"He loves to get on the ball and make things happen; he also vastly experienced at this level and above.

"We saw him play for Preston North End earlier in the season when he was on loan there and he impressed us.

"He is with us until the end of the season and has made it clear he will fight for a place in our first team and do everything he can to help us achieve a healthy position in the Championship."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~1952153,00.html

Ahhh Vicky then, need I say more?

Really happy with this signing, experienced Championship central midfielder that can play on the left as well. I'm hoping he replaces Sav to form a central partnership of Tonge and Johnson, although he's more likely to play out on the left.

Would love to see us try and sign him at the end of the loan deal if possible.

• 2 months later...

Clough was saying he will be looking at Tonge on a season long loan hopefully, got 2 years left at Stoke and he's on Premiership wages so a permanent deal is unlikely at the moment. He also said Tonge want's to stay at Derby.

Archived