2 points a game

In_The_Dark_Ram

Looking at the table four games ago I thought to myself (rather dismissively) that 7 straight wins would take the mighty Rams to 34 points from 17 games - 2 points a game which is automatic promotion form. Still unlikely by the end of November, but averaging 2 points a game for the season suddenly seems within the realms of possibility.

In recent years 2 points a game has been needed to ensure promotion, sometimes it'd see a team a dozen points clear - but it's a good rule of thumb to check where a team is at promotion wise, wherever they are in the table, particularly in the first quarter of the season when several teams get a decent start.

When was the last time 2 points a game wasn't enough? Any other good rules of thumb out there for gauging where we're at?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think two points a game over a season  will take anyone up. Currently it would put us third or fourth, but it's hard to sustain over 46 matches. In 2015/16 three teams did incredibly well and Brighton lost out on goal difference, with 89 points. But not quite the 92 that has to be a guarantee. 

Right now our brief flowering has taken us through the ranks to the top of the also-rans, but there are three teams away from the pack with 2+ points a match and if we want to be contenders we need to begin the long haul of reeling them in. 

Isn't it wonderful to even be talking/dreaming of such a thing? 

6 minutes ago, In_The_Dark_Ram said:

Or win two, lose one - that's working for Sheffield Utd.

Having considered it long and hard l prefer the 2 points on average a game route, rather than Sheffield Utd's win two, lose one model :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think two points a game over a season  will take anyone up. Currently it would put us third or fourth, but it's hard to sustain over 46 matches. In 2015/16 three teams did incredibly well and Brighton lost out on goal difference, with 89 points. But not quite the 92 that has to be a guarantee. 

Right now our brief flowering has taken us through the ranks to the top of the also-rans, but there are three teams away from the pack with 2+ points a match and if we want to be contenders we need to begin the long haul of reeling them in. 

Isn't it wonderful to even be talking/dreaming of such a thing? 

For what it's worth, we've also now taken points from two teams away from home who were capable of getting into that region of points too, so that hopefully limits their ability to compete for the 2 points a game goal by the end of the season. Providing we perform at home!

Archived