Home team v away team

Sexydadbod

Regardless of our thoughts on how we have played this season, we have only lost one home game this season(which was against Wolves so no shame there) so it appears we have got our tactics at home sorted out. What will undoubtedly stop us from having a successful season is our away form, where our only victory in the league was against Bolton.

What can we do to change this? Nugent said in an interview that it's because at home, we are more aggressive and on the front foot, whereas away we are deeper(which is nothing surprising). It's a dilemma for Rowett because it's difficult to leave out Vydra when he's been our best player this season but I can't seem to think of any other way for us to start to get wins away? I think we should start Martin for away matches for sure. I'm not sure Huddlestone is the right player in the system to play in away matches either as we tend to get overrun and he tends to struggle when under pressure. Maybe something like this? Possibly Baird for Wisdom for more composure on the ball.

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh  Davies  Forsyth

Thorne    Ledley   

Russell     Johnson       Lawrence    

Martin          

When Guy gets up to speed with his fitness, switch him for Johnson to get more energy in the midfield then switch to a 4-3-3 with 

Thorne

Guy          Ledley 

as the midfield trio. 

Having Vydra, Nugent, Huddlestone and Johnson leaves us too open away from home, not because they aren't good players, but because they are all contrasting players so don't suit each other's needs as well in away situations.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or we could just play the same team that works at home? 

I know there are clear advantages at home but if you look at it black and white. It’s the same players, playing the same game on a decent football pitch.

therefore I would like to think the team that wins us games at home can do the same away.

Just now, Simsy said:

Or we could just play the same team that works at home? 

I know there are clear advantages at home but if you look at it black and white. It’s the same players, playing the same game on a decent football pitch.

therefore I would like to think the team that wins us games at home can do the same away.

We did try that earlier this season and got shredded apart at times away. Something, whether  tactics or personnel did need to change in my opinion. It's about trying to find the balance.

For me it should be 2 different tactics away from home. Against the top teams, play it cautious and be happy with a point ( next 2 games for instance) but for the rest, play attacking football and go for the win. Should never see us play like we did at Brentford. 

14 minutes ago, Doodle said:

For me it should be 2 different tactics away from home. Against the top teams, play it cautious and be happy with a point ( next 2 games for instance) but for the rest, play attacking football and go for the win. Should never see us play like we did at Brentford. 

Should go into every game looking to win.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Should go into every game looking to win.

I think that’s the mantra of the Kevin Keegan school of management.  Hoping to win yes, but sometimes a little more pragmatism is required in difficult games. I would be delighted with 2 draws in the next 2 games. 

3 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I think that’s the mantra of the Kevin Keegan school of management.  Hoping to win yes, but sometimes a little more pragmatism is required in difficult games. I would be delighted with 2 draws in the next 2 games. 

If we were in the Premier League I'd agree it's ok to play for the draw on occasions.

This is the Championship though and we're playing Norwich and Leeds, not the two Manchester clubs.

4 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

If we were in the Premier League I'd agree it's ok to play for the draw on occasions.

This is the Championship though and we're playing Norwich and Leeds, not the two Manchester clubs.

Yes and we’re not Chelsea ffs

Archived