Slowest midfield in the league

Derbados

I said it before when we signed Huddlestone, knowing Johnson and Butterfield would more than likely partner him. That is comfortably the slowest midfield in the league and it's no wonder Wolves tore us to shreds. 

I got a few digs in the ribs for mentioning it  it in preseason, but if we start every game with those three we are in big, big trouble. 

Butterfield needs to be kept well away from this squad, offers absolutely nothing. I can't understand why we aren't giving Timi Elsnik a run, surely he can't be worse than what we have?? He looked very assured, young and hungry in pre season, everything that Rowett said he wanted!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only the slowest but the midfield lacks any creative midfielder. The  midfield was not great last season but at least we had WH who could open up defences with a pass. Now we have Butterfinger and a bunch of 30 year olds, not really building for a future are we.

The teams i would expect to be fighting for promotion have all improved their squads, where ours has got weaker especially the midfield.

1 minute ago, toddy said:

Not only the slowest but the midfield lacks any creative midfielder. The  midfield was not great last season but at least we had WH who could open up defences with a pass. Now we have Butterfinger and a bunch of 30 year olds, not really building for a future are we.

The teams i would expect to be fighting for promotion have all improved their squads, where ours has got weaker especially the midfield.

Yes we are slow.

But I can't agree we lack creative midfielders, on form Thorne, Butters and Hudds can pick a pass, and Johnson and Bryson can contribute by moving up bringing the attackers into play. The problem is none of them seem able to do this whether it be due to tactics, other personnel around them, confidence, fitness or age.

Completely agree I'd like to see Elsnik in, bit of youth, energy, hunger and the absence of fear that young players often have. Even Hanson showed a bit of graft  and energy in a slightly further forward role under Clement.

Bennett further up front for me to for the same reason.

13 minutes ago, Rample said:

Yes we are slow.

But I can't agree we lack creative midfielders, on form Thorne, Butters and Hudds can pick a pass, and Johnson and Bryson can contribute by moving up bringing the attackers into play. The problem is none of them seem able to do this whether it be due to tactics, other personnel around them, confidence, fitness or age.

Completely agree I'd like to see Elsnik in, bit of youth, energy, hunger and the absence of fear that young players often have. Even Hanson showed a bit of graft  and energy in a slightly further forward role under Clement.

Bennett further up front for me to for the same reason.

I didn't include GT as he has rarely played. One thing i forgot to add was the lack of pace in the midfield, there really isn't any and that is the problem with playing CM up front. He becomes so isolated and then predictable for the opposition to mark against.

Archived