England U17 Euro 2017

Can't see a thread on this so thought I'd kick one off.

The kids have topped Group D with 9 pts out of 9 and have just dismantled the Netherlands 3-0 in their own back yard.

Qtr finals this weekend. Ze Germans looking strong but we look to have a nice balanced team with a bit of flair  (eg hudson-odoi) with some good graft. 

Come on you young lions!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we play Ireland in the quarters - who lost 7-0 to Germany in the groups. 

Hungary v Turkey

Spain v France

England v Republic of Ireland

Germany v Netherlands

If we beat Ireland, we'll have Hungary or Turkey in the semis. If we reach the semis, we automatically qualify for the World Cup in India, which takes place in October. 

It will be interesting to see how they get on. It seems over the last few years we've raised the standard in terms of some better results, but also producing some decent players. A number of the players from the squads over the last few years are obviously still quite young, but a number of them are looking like they might be breaking through at a very decent level already:

2014 squad - Patrick Roberts, Lewis Cook, Isiah Brown, Dominic Solanke, Adam Armstrong, Joe Gomez

2015 squad - Tom Davies, Reece Oxford, Trent Alexander-Arnold

I had a quick look back at when Wayne Rooney was coming through, in 2002. He was voted as player of the tournament, but looking at the rest of the squad and what they've achieved is really quite poor, thinking that was the best team at that time for the age group. There's a link to that squad here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_squads#.C2.A0England

Mind you, I guess if every squad was to produce a player at the level of Rooney, we wouldn't be doing too badly!

On 5/11/2017 at 13:32, Boss said:

It will be interesting to see how they get on. It seems over the last few years we've raised the standard in terms of some better results, but also producing some decent players. A number of the players from the squads over the last few years are obviously still quite young, but a number of them are looking like they might be breaking through at a very decent level already:

2014 squad - Patrick Roberts, Lewis Cook, Isiah Brown, Dominic Solanke, Adam Armstrong, Joe Gomez

2015 squad - Tom Davies, Reece Oxford, Trent Alexander-Arnold

I had a quick look back at when Wayne Rooney was coming through, in 2002. He was voted as player of the tournament, but looking at the rest of the squad and what they've achieved is really quite poor, thinking that was the best team at that time for the age group. There's a link to that squad here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship_squads#.C2.A0England

Mind you, I guess if every squad was to produce a player at the level of Rooney, we wouldn't be doing too badly!

This is probably the saddest thing I have ever admitted but I love looking through squads of old age tournaments on wiki!

I've missed the start and just turned on.

It's England u17 1 -0 Turkey u17

A lads been out cold for some minutes whilst medics from both countries tend to him which is good to see.

Hope the lad's ok. Some concern over his neck. It's an England lad who has just been wheeled off in a full neck brace. 

Lost 4-1 on penalties. 

Took first and scored. Then Spain scored 2,  we missed next 2 and Spain scored both theirs. 

Disappointing end but you can see the seeds of some familiar themes....

- getting a lead then dropping ever deeper 

- poorly thought through defensive subs

- not enough players who can maintain technique under pressure. One of our penalty misses very unlucky- hit inside of post with keeper well beat. The other was a lean back hoof over the bar.

Tbh these tournaments are not about winning. More about what the players learn and maybe they'll use this defeat to push on. Winning the comp in 2010 and 2014 hasn't seen our first team improve dramatically but would've been nice for the players to have the medals.

Sad when you've got 40yr old men on twitter calling 16yr olds bottlers.  It was interesting that other teams coaches were complimenting the technique and style of the English team throughout the tournament. Can't imagine that's happened too often before. 

That defeat was English management through the ages. Leading 15 minutes from time, take off your central midfield player and two wide players who collectively had been dominant throughout the match, hey presto, no 'out-ball' - so it came back time after time. The result was utterly predictable from that moment on.

8 hours ago, eddie said:

That defeat was English management through the ages. Leading 15 minutes from time, take off your central midfield player and two wide players who collectively had been dominant throughout the match, hey presto, no 'out-ball' - so it came back time after time. The result was utterly predictable from that moment on.

Agreed. In fact, the coach didn't learn even within the same game.

Got the lead first half, the Spain centre half started bringing the ball out to beat our high press so our solution was to drop deeper and give up territory and possession.

Result - deserved Spain equaliser.

We then up our tempo again after half time, get the 2-1 then rinse and repeat - with the addition of the substitutes as noted above.

Seems that as soon as there is a shell to crawl into, the management team take us there. Shame as the lads were generally very good. Couple of good ball playing centre halves, but our midfield players looked a bit small and got overrun.

Archived