Coleman, appropriate punishment?

Chester40

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Reckless yes, but was it worse than some other challenges?

It wasn't a two footed challenge, so do you measure a dangerous tackle on the potential to injury, or the injury itself?

Take George Thornes leg break last year, that was a studs up challenge that looks bad when you watch it back but there wasn't even a booking.  

Its difficult, it was stoods up travelling at velocity, so was Butterfields red card earlier this season, the difference being one was unfortunate to connect with the opponents leg, the other was sent off for the dangerous challenge but no serious injury occurred.

I'd personally say zlatans elbow the other week was worse because it was clearly a deliberate act, however no serious injury occurred, but that could easily have resulted in broken cheek bones or worse.

Maybe the severity of someone's injury should be a factor, it could be classed as bad luck, but then the same would apply in the street, if someone has a few beers, ends up punching someone who falls to the ground but just ends up with a black eye the perpetrator maybe gets a slap on the wrist or a charge of abh, but same incident the person hit falls to the ground but his head connects with the floor and dies, the charge becomes manslaughter. Same act, different outcome.

Interesting debate.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It wasn't a two footed challenge, so do you measure a dangerous tackle on the potential to injury, or the injury itself?

Take George Thornes leg break last year, that was a studs up challenge that looks bad when you watch it back but there wasn't even a booking.  

Its difficult, it was stoods up travelling at velocity, so was Butterfields red card earlier this season, the difference being one was unfortunate to connect with the opponents leg, the other was sent off for the dangerous challenge but no serious injury occurred.

I'd personally say zlatans elbow the other week was worse because it was clearly a deliberate act, however no serious injury occurred, but that could easily have resulted in broken cheek bones or worse.

Maybe the severity of someone's injury should be a factor, it could be classed as bad luck, but then the same would apply in the street, if someone has a few beers, ends up punching someone who falls to the ground but just ends up with a black eye the perpetrator maybe gets a slap on the wrist or a charge of abh, but same incident the person hit falls to the ground but his head connects with the floor and dies, the charge becomes manslaughter. Same act, different outcome.

Interesting debate.

Agreed..

Same principle eg with texting while driving. I may do it and get away with it. I may do it, be unlucky and get seen and get 6 points. I may do it and a cyclist is unlucky and I kill them. 

Same thoughtless, reckless act..but would anyone say 'oh he doesn't mean it, he's not that kind of driver..6points seems fair...'??

14 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Interesting debate.

Punish actions, not consequences.

It was a bad challenge, it deserved a red. If it had connected differently, the outcome might have been different for Coleman, but the challenge was still bad.

Archived