Hinkley Point

LesterRam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37369786

The government has given the go ahead for a new £18bn nuclear power station in the UK after imposing "significant new safeguards" for future projects.

The new plant at Hinkley Point in Somerset is being financed by the French and the Chinese.

In exchange, China wanted to use its design for new UK nuclear stations.

However, the government said it would now "impose a new legal framework for future foreign investment in Britain's critical infrastructure".

now I have very little knowledge in electricity and my only concern is that I have a continual supply and its cheap, so my government has just signed off a £18bn nuclear power plant that is not only part owned by a communist party led country but is guaranteed a payment of £92.50 per megawatt hour for electricity generated, which dwarfs are current wholesale payment charge of £45 per MWh, so does this mean my electricity bill will fall or rise? :whistle:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don;t know much about it, but on a basic level why would two foreign countries want to invest that money in building a power plant here unless there was profit in it for them?

And if there is so much profit to be had - why wouldn't we invest the 18 billion ourselves?

Sounds like we've had our house repossessed, can't afford to buy a new one so we're entering the rental market

1 minute ago, StivePesley said:

I don;t know much about it, but on a basic level why would two foreign countries want to invest that money in building a power plant here unless there was profit in it for them?

And if there is so much profit to be had - why wouldn't we invest the 18 billion ourselves?

Sounds like we've had our house repossessed, can't afford to buy a new one so we're entering the rental market

I have come to the conclusion that's its a race to the bottom, I feel for my kids :(

Archived