Loan watch: Kelle Roos at Bristol Rovers

Carl Sagan

After winning promotion to League One at Wembley with Wimbledon through the playoffs, Rams stopper Kelle Roos has again gone out on loan and will play this season in League One on loan at Bristol Rovers. He had an eventful start, being thrust straight into the starting lineup for a home game against Swindon, keeping a clean sheet during an hour of atrocious conditions and then seeing the match abandoned due to the weather:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37139030

Roos appears fourth in the pecking order when it comes to keepers, though I'd have put him second behind Carson. When he arrived for a trial at Derby (among a selection of top clubs) Steve  McClaren said don't leave the training ground until you've signed: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-head-coach-steve-mcclaren-told-kelle/story-20489001-detail/story.html

The Bristol Rovers manager, Darrel Clarke will have watched Roos last season as BR were also in League Two. We've recently seen Pep Guardiola demand keepers with good feet and that's something McClaren stated about Roos from the off, and Clarke justified his selection of Roos in the starting lineup by talking about his agility and his kicking. http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/darrell-clarke-explains-decision-to-hand-kelle-roos-his-bristol-rovers-debut-over-steve-mildenhall/story-29660580-detail/story.html The redeeming feature of this loan is that Roos will be playing week in week out at a good standard so will have great experience before returning to fight for his place next season.

Grant was great in McClaren's first season but since then to my mind he has the yips and is too much of a risk to have in goal. He'll cost you at least a goal every two games, punching the ball into his own net or diving over it. And Jonathan Mitchell is unfortunately far too short to make it as a top keeper in the modern game. If you have one young keeper (Roos) seven inches taller than another young keeper (Mitchell) you have to back the tall guy to be the one to succeed.

Good luck to Kelle!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched him at Ilkeston a few weeks ago and he was very vocal, encouraging players in front of him and praising them. 

Handled the ball well and distributed it accurately and quickly.

Only query for me that day is getting down to the low shots. The one disadvantage of his height, I  suppose.

I hope he has a great season as we need to be getting someone ready to take over from Carson in a couple of years.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, bigbadbob said:

Told him

He knows I'm joking.

MK Dons are the proper club, whose fans had to make a sacrifice to keep supporting them.

Wimbledon are the Johnny come latelys, set up for the fans who couldn't be arsed to follow the Dons anymore.

Archived