First half performances so far

Sparkle

I think our first half performances so far have been awful, now I have missed only the Preston game but we are frankly standing off teams letting everybody else play how they want too, we have created so little it is breath taking. Now if both Grimsby and Carlisle had any kind of talent up front we would have been easily knocked over by half time, in the league both Brighton and villa are decent but we were playing at home and were so poor and as for Barnsley away we deserved to lose and did.

number one reason for me, - we are carrying far to many fancy Dan players who don't want to put the effort in, we have carried some of them in games last season but this season we seem to be starting the games so far with them in the side and I can't see mr Pearson allowing that to continue.

players that annoy me the most in no particular order Blackman,Bent,Johnson,Butterfield and at times Ince 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
Just now, LesterRam said:

someone suggested the "hairdryer" treatment before they kick a ball, sounds like a plan :D

Don't see how personal grooming will help

Isn't that Pearson's style of play? sit back and hit teams on the break.

Trouble is we don't have enough pace in the squad to hit anyone on the break. With the exception of Camara, Bryson, Weimann, they all look like they're running through treacle.

Still, its early days. This time last season was equally as frustrating but by Feb we were still well in it. I'd rather see us start slow and finish strong this season, over falling away dramatically.

Martin, Hendrick and Russell out for me, and replaced by electrifying pace.

39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

number one reason for me, - we are carrying far to many fancy Dan players who don't want to put the effort in, we have carried some of them in games last season but this season we seem to be starting the games so far with them in the side and I can't see mr Pearson allowing that to continue.

The big problem first half last night was the way we set up (which is becoming a recurring theme).  We pretty much played 424, with the back 4 sat deep, the 2 midfielders camped in front of them, and 4 strikers pushed right up.  That makes it almost impossible for the midfielders to actually go and press, because as soon as they go chasing, it leaves a massive hole in the centre of our team, where we were already struggling because Carlisle had an extra man in there.  In that sort of system it's entirely down to the forwards to do the pressing, and whatever you think of Bent, Blackman and Camara's ability, they aren't workers who will run themselves into the ground.

That system also has the added effect of making it very difficult for the two midfielders to complete forward passes, because as soon as they pick it up, they've either got to thread an inch perfect 40 yard pass to one of the forwards, hit a long ball over the top, or go backwards to the back 4.  And obviously that results in us struggling to create chances because the service to the strikers is terrible, hence almost all of our chances being long shots that we were never going to score from.

The problems were almost entirely tactical, and Pearson has to take the blame for a huge part of that performance last night.

8 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The big problem first half last night was the way we set up (which is becoming a recurring theme).  We pretty much played 424, with the back 4 sat deep, the 2 midfielders camped in front of them, and 4 strikers pushed right up.  That makes it almost impossible for the midfielders to actually go and press, because as soon as they go chasing, it leaves a massive hole in the centre of our team, where we were already struggling because Carlisle had an extra man in there.  In that sort of system it's entirely down to the forwards to do the pressing, and whatever you think of Bent, Blackman and Camara's ability, they aren't workers who will run themselves into the ground.

That system also has the added effect of making it very difficult for the two midfielders to complete forward passes, because as soon as they pick it up, they've either got to thread an inch perfect 40 yard pass to one of the forwards, hit a long ball over the top, or go backwards to the back 4.  And obviously that results in us struggling to create chances because the service to the strikers is terrible, hence almost all of our chances being long shots that we were never going to score from.

The problems were almost entirely tactical, and Pearson has to take the blame for a huge part of that performance last night.

Whether he takes any blame or not, its his way. His proven tactic and he'll figure out who can play that way and who can't.

Players will move on under Pearson. Players we 'sentimentally' don't want to see leave.

It's so early in the season for anyone's opinions of the tactics to count.

I know.

From now on i'm not taking my seat until half time and then I won't be too disappointed. :p

Also Carlisle I think had 3 shots in the second half. One was a rush shot and hit over, one made Carson make a save and the other went in. Meanwhile we have about 10 shots second half and can't hit a cows arse. Not for the first time this season. They are in league 2 and we harbour aspirations of getting to the Premier League.

We need to start getting more of our chances on target and at least making better of them.

I still stick by my original prediction that we will be boring as hell to watch all season but be competitive by scratching out single goal wins and being tight. How far that will get us I don't know as like others have said, we just do not have the personnel at the moment to hit teams with quick breaks. I'm happy with the opposition having loads of possession so long as when we break it's done in the blink of an eye and we make chances from them. That's not happening at the minute.

Grimsby and Carlisle aside who were tiring second half, we've created very little against teams in our own league thus far.

Work in progress most definitely and very interesting to see how Pearson evolves with us.

Archived