Will Wassall blood under 21s?

TheHomunculusLives

11 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Who in the under-21 team (Hanson aside) looks ready to be part of the first team squad?

Ssewankbo I guess, but he aint a youth product,

No. He's awful. I watch the U21 now and then and he makes Christie look like Phillip Lahm

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bcnram said:

I am sure that 3 academy players in the match day squad is not 'policy' as that would suggest that the head coach has to select them regardless. Rather I believe the policy is that the academy needs to be developed to a point where the quality in the academy is such, that at least 3 players will be in the match day squad.

As I said on another thread, this "3 academy players in the match day squad" thing is either pure PR talk or simply unrealistic. 

Ajax's goal is to have three academy products in the first team every two seasons, because (a) they can and (b) they need that financially. They are a big club with an enormous academy, and they virtually have the whole nation's talent (read "fast and skillful dutch players") at their disposal. And they need to have a certain amount of academy products in their first team, because they are a selling club. The way they operate is to foster their own talents and sell, for what is hopefully a big transfer fee. Only then they can maintain local dominance as a big fish in a small pond, and keep participating as a bit part in the Champions League as a small fish in a big pond.

In other words, Ajax do this because this is what makes them "sustainable" (to borrow MM's word). This is the Ajax's business model.

And arguably our "3 academy players in the match day squad" thing is even higher than Ajax's!

Is this how MM want DCFC to operate? Is this what MM refers to as "The Derby Way"? I doubt the Ajax way would ever work given our circumstances, simply because we are not Ajax and because our business model is not to become a selling club (I hope not).

Archived