Prison smoking ban

Day

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34395034

Thoughts?

Seems harsh to me not to let them smoke even outside, should ban tv's and game consoles if anything. Books and training courses only. Shouldn't be an easy lifestyle choice for drop outs.

Hope the prison service is bringing in extra shipments of Kleenex then not sure what else there is to do in the clink 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside you have a choice, once locked up all choices should be removed. Minimal nutrtional requirement provided and a strict rehabilitation plan, including labour that contributes to society.

What about non smokers, why should they be in an environment where they could be exposed to secound hand smoke? Why should prisoners be allowed smoking areas, why allowed special allowances, if that is the case?

non-smokers are not exposed to smoking. At the moment, smokers are only allowed to smoke in their cells (non-smokers do not share cells with smokers) or on the exercise yard, which is outside. Non-smokers are as exposed to second-hand smoke as the general public are when walking down the street.

non-smokers are not exposed to smoking. At the moment, smokers are only allowed to smoke in their cells (non-smokers do not share cells with smokers) or on the exercise yard, which is outside. Non-smokers are as exposed to second-hand smoke as the general public are when walking down the street.

In the article tho 

"The move follows a series of legal challenges by prison officers and inmates who have complained about the effects of passive smoking"

Might not be the same in every prison

In the article tho 

"The move follows a series of legal challenges by prison officers and inmates who have complained about the effects of passive smoking"

Might not be the same in every prison

QED

Hope the prison service is bringing in extra shipments of Kleenex then not sure what else there is to do in the clink 

Really?

Well, for a start you can:

- play pool or snooker (nearly all prisons are fitted with pool and even snooker tables)

- play table tennis or a board game

- watch TV in your room or the prison cinemas

- study for a degree, masters, PHD, or for the more simpler...GCSE's

- work (you have a choice of jobs and all pay a salary which can be taken out on regular installments or as a lump sum when you leave)

- study for a job (there are many jobs that you can do in prison which you will receive a certificate for and there are companies which employ primarily ex-cons who have these certificates)

- read books (most prisons have extensive libraries so you can browse through them in the library or simply fill out a form and your book will be delivered to your door)

- become a foodie (most prisons have menus so you can have a choice of what you would like to eat)

- get fit (you can choose to spend most of your time working out in the gym)

Really?

- play pool or snooker (nearly all prisons are fitted with pool and even snooker tables)

- work (you have a choice of jobs and all pay a salary which can be taken out on regular installments or as a lump sum when you leave)

- study for a job (there are many jobs that you can do in prison which you will receive a certificate for and there are companies which employ primarily ex-cons who have these certificates)

- read books (most prisons have extensive libraries so you can browse through them in the library or simply fill out a form and your book will be delivered to your door)

- become a foodie (most prisons have menus so you can have a choice of what you would like to eat)

someone has watched Shawshank Redemption too many times. 

Really?

Not sure where the punishment bit fits in then or is it all about rehabilitation nowadays

Not sure where the punishment bit fits in then or is it all about rehabilitation nowadays

The worst thing about being inside is watching loved ones visit and knowing you have to stay in confinement.

Prison life is very simple. One of the reasons it costs more than a grand a week to house one prisoner is because of the rather luxurious lifestyle that prisons afford their guests.

The worst thing about being inside is watching loved ones visit and knowing you have to stay in confinement.

Prison life is very simple. One of the reasons it costs more than a grand a week to house one prisoner is because of the rather luxurious lifestyle that prisons afford their guests.

yes, you're clearly right.

Nothing is real.

How much time have you served?

Are you some sort of penal reformer lol

not as much as you oh font of all knowledge

Why don't you try speaking to someone who has then? Have you ever had a family member or friend in prison? ever visited someone in prison?

believe it or not, prisons are money making businesses. Whilst I agree that a life of luxury shouldn't be given to prisoners, there's a lot of assumptions you are making. If you do some simple research, you'll discover a thing called a 'regime' which each prisoner has. I happen to know that certainly in Nottingham prison, the chance to play snooker/pool/table tennis is restricted to 2 hours before lunch and 3 hours after lunch on Saturdays and Sundays only. I also know that there are not enough jobs to go around all the inmates (you can check inside times for this). You only get the most basic of basics for free, ie bar of soap, tea bags, sugar. Anything else you want, you have to buy, which relies on people sending you money in, and working. The prison makes a significant markup profit on things, tobacco being one of them.

Education and Work are seen as rehabilitation. Whether you like it or not. Would you rather someone released from prison who has been nothing but caged up for years? I wouldn't.

Why don't you try speaking to someone who has then? Have you ever had a family member or friend in prison? ever visited someone in prison?

believe it or not, prisons are money making businesses. Whilst I agree that a life of luxury shouldn't be given to prisoners, there's a lot of assumptions you are making. If you do some simple research, you'll discover a thing called a 'regime' which each prisoner has. I happen to know that certainly in Nottingham prison, the chance to play snooker/pool/table tennis is restricted to 2 hours before lunch and 3 hours after lunch on Saturdays and Sundays only. I also know that there are not enough jobs to go around all the inmates (you can check inside times for this). You only get the most basic of basics for free, ie bar of soap, tea bags, sugar. Anything else you want, you have to buy, which relies on people sending you money in, and working. The prison makes a significant markup profit on things, tobacco being one of them.

Education and Work are seen as rehabilitation. Whether you like it or not. Would you rather someone released from prison who has been nothing but caged up for years? I wouldn't.

You are the one making assumptions.

You chastise me as I put up some information and assume that I have no knowledge of the system.

I am a businessman Mostyn. I have started several successful businesses all of which are bearing the most ripest of fruits. One of my start-ups meant me visiting several of Her Majesty's refuges in the UK and offering services of the educational kind. I also did the same in Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

Much of my time is now focused in the Far-East and admittedly, I haven't visited any such establishment for some time so I can only speak of what it was like in the places I visited back in the turn of the century.

Really?

You are the one making assumptions.

You chastise me as I put up some information and assume that I have no knowledge of the system.

I am a businessman Mostyn. I have started several successful businesses all of which are bearing the most ripest of fruits. One of my start-ups meant me visiting several of Her Majesty's refuges in the UK and offering services of the educational kind. I also did the same in Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

Much of my time is now focused in the Far-East and admittedly, I haven't visited any such establishment for some time so I can only speak of what it was like in the places I visited back in the turn of the century.

right, just to clear up, another poster made a joke about Kleenex, and your response was the first post I've quoted here. Which I tell you know, is nonsense, and full of assumptions. I will go through them one by one, and respond to what I know.

- play pool or snooker (nearly all prisons are fitted with pool and even snooker tables) - restricted to Saturday morning after kit change for 2 hours up to lunch, and then after lunch for about 3 hours until dinner. One snooker table, and one pool table and one table tennis to be shared across the wing, up to 150 people. 

- play table tennis or a board game - see above for table tennis. Board games and cards have to be purchased by the inmate, not supplied by the prison.

- watch TV in your room or the prison cinemas - TVs have to be rented, and the channels are limited. Prison cinemas don't exist to my knowledge.

- study for a degree, masters, PHD, or for the more simpler...GCSE's - only available to enhanced inmates, which means those on the longest sentences, as shorter term inmates aren't inside long enough to become enhanced. Basic education is offered to all inmates as part of rehabilitation. Basic maths, English, Business studies etc, but all have to be sponsored by a local education establishment

- work (you have a choice of jobs and all pay a salary which can be taken out on regular installments or as a lump sum when you leave) - there are not enough jobs for all inmates, so you don't have a choice at all. Prisoners join a waiting list. Whilst the inmates are either at work or education, the rest are locked in cells.

- study for a job (there are many jobs that you can do in prison which you will receive a certificate for and there are companies which employ primarily ex-cons who have these certificates) - not quite sure about this so cannot comment.

- read books (most prisons have extensive libraries so you can browse through them in the library or simply fill out a form and your book will be delivered to your door) - during the crisis of last summer, (all over the press), low staffing levels meant library and gym visits were sacrificed, there was also a book ban instigated by Chris Grayling meaning you couldn't send books into prison. When operating, library visits restricted to 20 people from a wing, for 30 minutes to select books to take back, not read in the library.

- become a foodie (most prisons have menus so you can have a choice of what you would like to eat) - the menu consists of choice of veg option, hot option, cold option, and gym pack, and a choice of either fruit or pudding. Apparently, the meals are so bad nutritionally, that they offer 10 slices of bread to balance out the legal requirement.

- get fit (you can choose to spend most of your time working out in the gym) - in theory, this is an option, an hour a day for three days a week and once on weekend, but usually sacrificed due to staff shortages.

Archived