Different players for different formations

sage

Yes and No. 

You are right in that the CF drops backs into the hole behind 2 split strikers. 

However there are subtle differences,

The two wide forwards who have become split strikers will be pushed up onto the last defenders.

The CF (now number 10) will defensively have to drop into midfield.

The midfielders either side of the DCM will be expected to play with more width than in a 4 3 3.

They will also be expected to stay on 'their side' of the pitch.

They are also more likely to play on the side of their favoured foot, ie Hughes on the left and Bryson/Hendrick on the right. 

In the diamond there will be a greater emphasis on the full backs getting forward and the DCM dropping into a back 3.  

See below for kind of what I mean. I'd expect the wider forwards from the 433 to still be doing the tracking back when we don't have the ball in the diamond formation.

Obviously players are the most important factors in this and the different systems just allow a different combination of our best players to be playing together.

Ideally I'd like us to play 4231 as suggested at the bottom of Ambitious' post as I feel that allows 2 of Weimann, Martin and Bent to play centrally whilst allowing Hughes to play further up with Ince on the other side (Russell Bryson and Hendrick battling for those three advanced roles also though in a game where more control is needed I'd be happy for Hughes to drop back and become part of the 2 holding midfielders). 

I guess it depends on how radical the 'change' is:

Grant

Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes, Hendrick

Ince

Martin, Weimann

Can quickly change to:

Grant

Thorne,

Hughes, Hendrick

Ince, Martin, Weimann

Even:

Grant

Thorne, Hendrick

Ince, Hughes, Weimann

Martin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rampage turns up in the Pointy Room baring a gift for Sage

student-gives-teacher-apple-2616252.jpg

Coconut,, this boyish photo looks remarkably similar to your icon. It is very kind of you to allegedly share this photo of your schooldays whilst receiving your first C grade after an undistinguished career of receiiving C- s from sage. It proves the point that late developers do occur in Education and as a NASA Rocket Developer you have done well for yourself. Teachers can be wrong, very wrong on occasions.

See below for kind of what I mean. I'd expect the wider forwards from the 433 to still be doing the tracking back when we don't have the ball in the diamond formation.

Obviously players are the most important factors in this and the different systems just allow a different combination of our best players to be playing together.

Ideally I'd like us to play 4231 as suggested at the bottom of Ambitious' post as I feel that allows 2 of Weimann, Martin and Bent to play centrally whilst allowing Hughes to play further up with Ince on the other side (Russell Bryson and Hendrick battling for those three advanced roles also though in a game where more control is needed I'd be happy for Hughes to drop back and become part of the 2 holding midfielders). 

I think when we are defending, these will be our furthest players forward. It's bold but if you leave 2 split strikers with pace up front, unless the opposition leave 4 people defending, they are leaving a 1 on 1. 

Coconut,, this boyish photo looks remarkably similar to your icon. It is very kind of you to allegedly share this photo of your schooldays whilst receiving your first C grade after an undistinguished career of receiiving C- s from sage. It proves the point that late developers do occur in Education and as a NASA Rocket Developer you have done well for yourself. Teachers can be wrong, very wrong on occasions.

Coconut, shy is not one of your faults.:)

I think when we are defending, these will be our furthest players forward. It's bold but if you leave 2 split strikers with pace up front, unless the opposition leave 4 people defending, they are leaving a 1 on 1. 

Do we have 2 strikers with pace? 

Martin and Bent look like they're running through treacle

Archived