Steve McClaren - Pros and Cons (stay or go?)

IlsonDerby

For this article, explain what it is you think McClaren has done well and what it is he should have done better at/with. 

Once you have finished, state whether you would rather he stay or depart. 

Maybe if this article gets popular enough the MODs will insert a poll so we can get a rough idea of what the majority are leaning towards with regards to his future? 

I'll go first...

Pros:

Created a system last season which suited the personnel and moved us up a level.

Created a buzz around the place that I don't remember feeling since the Burley season. 

Reputation allowed us to bring in some of the best young players in the country. 

Has avoided blaming referees.

Signed some very good players (dawkins and thorne) both my opinion of course.

Gave people the shirt until injuries/suspensions/poor form meant they lost it (last season).

Cons:

Been far too rigid to a system that, due to injuries, we didn't have the personnel to execute. 

Created a soured atmosphere during a time when we should have been buzzing again through changing a working system to try and 'control' games more, partnered with never fully declaring his long term future (in his mind) was at Derby County. There are some fans who will try and blame the fans for the lack of a buzz but we went from seeing a team excite us, to frankly being bored by the efforts to just be professional and see games through. Bournemouth and Watford haven't tried to 'see games out' they have time and time again gone for a cricket score. 

Signed some dross (Warnock and until I see something that suggests otherwise Albentosa) 

Has let 'key' player straight back into the side regardless of form. 

I could go on but I feel that for every pro, I could write at least one con. I really wanted to see him take us up but I just can't see it happening currently. He has had 18 months with our team and they still defend like they don't know their ****from their elbow. This amongst other reasons is why I'd like him to leave this summer. I trust Rush though and whatever his decision is I'll back it 100%

DNA

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pros:

Brought some good coaching, moved us from solid mid table to promotion chasing, attracted players Clough never would have. last season was very special. played some fantastic stuff.

Cons:

Eroded the togetherness witch had elevated us by showing he thought our players weren't good enough and replacing with no better. Disintegration in defence when we have plenty of championship standard defenders on the books. failed this season. played some bad as the worst of Clough's sides matches.

Archived