Forum train wreck

PistoldPete2

PistoldPete2

starting a new thread as can't post any on existing threads. Thanks to daveo for all the effort but I'm going on a break til it's fixed

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the tabloid style headline, 

Not much I can help with unless you tell me exactly what is happening.

Is the post box missing, are you getting an error message, is it certain forums?

What browser are you using, what device?

PistoldPete2

Love the tabloid style headline, 

Not much I can help with unless you tell me exactly what is happening.

Is the post box missing, are you getting an error message, is it certain forums?

What browser are you using, what device?

on ipad / safari the problems are:

1. When selecting reply it may produce a dialogue box but sometimes the keyboard won't appear and eventually after tapping the screen repeatedly you give up.

2 when submitting a reply successfully it may never appear or disappear after having initially been there.

lots of threads seem to have a backlog of posts which disappear into a hidden backlog as new replies

3 sometimes when you view a thread you get the message 15 or so new relies have been posted etc.......sometimes you don't....even when its the same thread and you have previously had that message.....and previusly seen more posts.

4 its not uncommon to see the same post 3 or 4 times where someone has had difficulty posting.

5 when replying or trying to post a new thread you often get the draft of a previous attempt to post, which can't be cancelled and has to  be deleted. You can delete text but any quote box is left blank and won't delete.

6 sometimes when you post, nothing happens, and the draft of the post is still there if you go back to try again.

7 sometimes when you post, nothing appears to happen, but the post is registered even if it doesn't display. You can check this by reviewing your post history in your account. The post may be there and when you select it, the the thread will appear with the post displayed even if - when you select the thread from the menu - it doesn't show.

8 occasionally when you press to reply it crashes back to the thread menu rsther than bringing up a dialogue box.

9 quite often a page will crash with the message - there was a problem with this page so the page was reloaded. Don't remember this happening on the old forum.

Sometimes it works better than others - which is another mystery.

I assume that most of these issues are known about and have listed them simply in reply to daveos question to pete for further details.

Now i get this.........

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, you@example.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

MacBook with Safari...

I submit a reply and get no confirmation. What I now do is assume that the reply has happened - that it has been posted. Go to another thread, come back - hey presto, sparkling new witticism (or tired old cliché, dependent upon your viewpoint). I think this is how the multiple posts are occurring….

10 Create wonderful, intuitive post like this one

20 Click 'Submit reply'

30 Wait

40 Assume nothing happened

50 GOTO 20

Edit…..

This post, ironically, did produce a 'saving' response and a refreshed screen.

I looked on the Invision forum.....its an old post but this guy hits the nail on the head.....

My whole issue with this business is the 3.2.x series was released prematurely, with apparently poor QA testing. I waited to upgrade my forum from 3.1.4 to 3.2.2, knowing the first release or two of an Invision product will have a fair number of bugs that will be fixed in subsequent versions. But when I did upgrade, I had numerous issues, primarily with 3.2.x being considerably more resource intensive than 3.1.4, at least on my forum (I have over 2 million posts, typically 300-400 users online at a time, and the site is running on a dedicated box). I've had to disable features on my forum as a result, so this has been a downgrade in some aspects.  

But the bigger issue here is the sheer number of bugs in 3.2. Heck, there were nearly 400 bugs fixed between 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 alone. And that's just IP.Board, so the total is even higher when you include IP.Blog, IP.Downloads, IP.Gallery, and so forth (and I license most of the IP.Board suite). I recently upgraded my forum to the new IP.Blog 2.5.0, and I couldn't even get through the install process, rendering my Blog offline until Invision could fix it (something they had to do twice as there was yet another issue after the installer was fixed). Upon looking at the Tracker (which I should have done before I even attempted my upgrade) there were numerous issues with the upgrader.  

Frankly, I'd be embarrassed if I released a commercial product with so many bugs. Yes, I know it's a very complex product and you're obviously not going to catch all the bugs in an initial release. However, here's a breakdown of the bugs fixed thus far since 3.2's initial release:

IP.Board 3.2.1 - 160 Bugs fixed
IP.Board 3.2.2 - 98 Bugs fixed
IP.Board 3.2.3 - 394 Bugs fixed
IP.Board 3.3.0 - 94 Bugs fixed

Total thus far for the 3.2.x series: 764 bugs fixed. There are over 200 open bug reports for 3.2.3 at the moment. Again, this is just for IP.Board, not the other modules.

Invision needs to seriously reevaluate their QA process. Many of the bugs reported should have been caught before the production release of this software. From the outside, it looks to me that the primary developers alternate between working on new features and then going on a parade of bug fixing. Invision should have programmers who are working on nothing but testing and bug fixes to help ensure that these new releases (especially a major point release as 3.2 was) are on better footing from day one. Things such as the various IP.Blog 2.5.0 upgrade issues should have been caught before a single customer attempted to install it on their live forum.

They've got millions of bug testers :ph34r: us.

thousands of fire fighters, owners like Daveo.

hundreds of paid bug fixers.

a few rich developers.

no mater how they wrap it up, regards you can't realease a totally bug free new product, this realease has been a disaster.

for the end users any how.

They've got millions of bug testers :ph34r: us.

thousands of fire fighters, owners like Daveo.

hundreds of paid bug fixers.

a few rich developers.

no mater how they wrap it up, regards you can't realease a totally bug free new product, this realease has been a disaster.

for the end users any how.

on ipad / safari the problems are:

1. When selecting reply it may produce a dialogue box but sometimes the keyboard won't appear and eventually after tapping the screen repeatedly you give up.

Fixed in next update, for now reload the page

2 when submitting a reply successfully it may never appear or disappear after having initially been there.

lots of threads seem to have a backlog of posts which disappear into a hidden backlog as new replies

3 sometimes when you view a thread you get the message 15 or so new relies have been posted etc.......sometimes you don't....even when its the same thread and you have previously had that message.....and previusly seen more posts.

4 its not uncommon to see the same post 3 or 4 times where someone has had difficulty posting.

All this was because of one issue that is now fixed

5 when replying or trying to post a new thread you often get the draft of a previous attempt to post, which can't be cancelled and has to  be deleted. You can delete text but any quote box is left blank and won't delete.

This is actually a auto save feature, and is working as intended however removing the quote can be difficult I agree. I have brought this up on the support forum. On the iPad if you hold your finger, select all, delete, this will delete the quote content, do it again this will remove the quote box.

6 sometimes when you post, nothing happens, and the draft of the post is still there if you go back to try again.

7 sometimes when you post, nothing appears to happen, but the post is registered even if it doesn't display. You can check this by reviewing your post history in your account. The post may be there and when you select it, the the thread will appear with the post displayed even if - when you select the thread from the menu - it doesn't show.

Known issue which is being looked at now which was also merged with 2,3,4 which are now fixed. If when posting, you hit submit reply and nothing happens the post will have been made so you can just go to the homepage again.

8 occasionally when you press to reply it crashes back to the thread menu rsther than bringing up a dialogue box.

Editor issue which is fixed in the next update

9 quite often a page will crash with the message - there was a problem with this page so the page was reloaded. Don't remember this happening on the old forum.

This is an Apple low memory error, happens to myself on a number of big sites like eBay, BBC. Try not to have multiple tabs open and if you have just finished playing a game close it down in multi tasking.

Sometimes it works better than others - which is another mystery.

I assume that most of these issues are known about and have listed them simply in reply to daveos question to pete for further details.

I press reply , and one of several things happens... 1) nothing ( more often than not) on most of not all threads.

This is a known issue, your post will have been made, it may not have shown instantly on multi page topics due to another issue which has now been fixed.

2) the screen goes grey and freezes.

Not seen this at all, not had anyone mention it either. 

3) I get a message about further replies, wait 6 seconds, I wait much longer then give up

There is a 30 second wait between posts, you have hit submit reply several times, as above it's a known issue. Just press Submit Reply once then leave the topic and it will have been posted.

4) if quoting I get a random quote from a previous post

Not had this either or had it reported, I will quote more and see if I can replicate it, without being able to replicate it's hard to fix.

5) I post and it disappears into the ether 6) the minority of cases I am able to reply. 

Not really sure what you mean here?

Fixed in next update, for now reload the page

All this was because of one issue that is now fixed

This is actually a auto save feature, and is working as intended however removing the quote can be difficult I agree. I have brought this up on the support forum. On the iPad if you hold your finger, select all, delete, this will delete the quote content, do it again this will remove the quote box.

Known issue which is being looked at now which was also merged with 2,3,4 which are now fixed. If when posting, you hit submit reply and nothing happens the post will have been made so you can just go to the homepage again.

Editor issue which is fixed in the next update

This is an Apple low memory error, happens to myself on a number of big sites like eBay, BBC. Try not to have multiple tabs open and if you have just finished playing a game close it down in multi tasking.

• 2 weeks later...
PistoldPete2

This is a known issue, your post will have been made, it may not have shown instantly on multi page topics due to another issue which has now been fixed.

Not seen this at all, not had anyone mention it either. 

There is a 30 second wait between posts, you have hit submit reply several times, as above it's a known issue. Just press Submit Reply once then leave the topic and it will have been posted.

Not had this either or had it reported, I will quote more and see if I can replicate it, without being able to replicate it's hard to fix.

Not really sure what you mean here?

Thanks for the replies daveo sorry haven't been checking this thread only just seen them. I think the issues you say haven't been reported by others have been... Eg random bits from previous quotes appearing... I should add I had a whole different set of problems on my desktop. I think the forum has been more usable recently but I guuess its still a work in progress, but I appreciate all your efforts. 

Archived