Premiership TV deal August 2016 - May 2019

unclej

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I really need to rant here.

I think the gap between the Premier League and the Championship has been getting narrower the past few seasons. Leicester being bottom this season is a small blip, but look at how much teams who come down struggle - and look how well Palace did in their first season, finishing mid-table, with an okay Championship squad with a few PL-standard additions.

The money won't make a difference. In fact, it might only go to close the gap further. Premier League teams seems to have a "**** it, it's only money" policy to transfers and they've stopped doing their homework properly. And I'm not just talking about the lower clubs either, signing players like Brown Ideye - look at Liverpool playing Football Manager by signing anyone who sounds like they might be good in a few years' time, as well as signing Mario Balotelli. It's not worked out and their scouting department is apparently to blame. Really, Brendan? You hadn't heard of Mario Balotelli?

People go "look, even more money!!" but there's a finite number of professional footballers in the world, and there's a limit to who the clubs can sign with the 25-man squads. All that will happen is the PL clubs will sign the same level of player from abroad/the Championship as they do now, just for more money.

The result of this financial bubble and the "oooh he looks good on YouTube" transfer policy of many Premier League clubs mean that clubs run by anyone with more than half a brain cell can actually go quite far. Just look at Southampton - they rinsed a couple of rich, established Premier League clubs for a few academy players and then actually thought about the kind of team they wanted to build and the kind of players they were going to sign.

Look at Aaron Lennon being banded about on deadline day. Were 5 sides really lacking a "Lennon-type player"? Did all 5 head coaches/managers go to their head of recruitment or scouts and ask for a winger, and all five came back with Aaron Lennon as the best answer? Of course not. They're just so wrapped up in their money games that they're thinking about nicking players off each other more than building a team.

The money is ruining the game on all sorts of levels but I honestly believe it's actually making things easier for clubs which are well-run. It's amazing how far you can get in the Prem just by playing with any kind of identity - and I don't just mean the pretty stuff from Swansea and Southampton. Stoke looked comfortable for a few years and even did well in Europe under Pulis just by bundling the ball into the net in any way possible. Plenty knocked it, but they had a plan, they stuck to their guns and it worked for them. Which is why I think with the right additions, us, Boro and Bournemouth could make a better fist of it than the three who went up last year.

You can say "yeah but look at Leicester" but they had a similar thought process to most Premier League sides. All they did was use their money to build a team where in every position, they had someone as good if not better than anyone else in the Championship, and obviously they were eventually going to storm the league doing that. But you'll get found out in the top flight soon enough.

Well done if you got to the end of this post without losing the will to live.

I think the gap between the Premier League and the Championship has been getting narrower the past few seasons. Leicester being bottom this season is a small blip, but look at how much teams who come down struggle - and look how well Palace did in their first season, finishing mid-table, with an okay Championship squad with a few PL-standard additions.

The money won't make a difference. In fact, it might only go to close the gap further. Premier League teams seems to have a "**** it, it's only money" policy to transfers and they've stopped doing their homework properly. And I'm not just talking about the lower clubs either, signing players like Brown Ideye - look at Liverpool playing Football Manager by signing anyone who sounds like they might be good in a few years' time, as well as signing Mario Balotelli. It's not worked out and their scouting department is apparently to blame. Really, Brendan? You hadn't heard of Mario Balotelli?

People go "look, even more money!!" but there's a finite number of professional footballers in the world, and there's a limit to who the clubs can sign with the 25-man squads. All that will happen is the PL clubs will sign the same level of player from abroad/the Championship as they do now, just for more money.

The result of this financial bubble and the "oooh he looks good on YouTube" transfer policy of many Premier League clubs mean that clubs run with anyone with more than half a brain cell can actually go quite far. Just look at Southampton - they rinsed a couple of rich, established Premier League clubs for a few academy players and then actually thought about the kind of team they wanted to build and the kind of players they were going to sign.

Look at Aaron Lennon being banded about on deadline day. Were 5 sides really lacking for an "Lennon-type player"? Did all 5 head coaches/managers go to their head of recruitment or scouts and ask for a winger, and all five came back with Aaron Lennon as the best answer? Of course not. They're just so wrapped up in their money games that they're thinking about nicking players off each other more than building a team.

The money is ruining the game on all sorts of levels but I honestly believe it's actually making things easier for clubs which are well-run. It's amazing how far you can get in the Prem just by playing with any kind of identity - and I don't just mean the pretty stuff from Swansea and Southampton. Stoke looked comfortable for a few years and even did well in Europe under Pulis just by bundling the ball into the net in any way possible. Plenty knocked it, but they had a plan, they stuck to their guns and it worked for them. Which is why I think with the right additions, us, Boro and Bournemouth could make a better fist of it than the three who went up last year.

You can say "yeah but look at Leicester" but they had exactly the similar process as most Premier League sides. All they did was use their money to build a team where in every position, they had someone as good if not better than anyone else in the Championship, and obviously they were eventually going to storm the league doing that. But you'll get found out in the top flight soon enough.

Someone buy him Aldi batteries in future.

The result of this financial bubble and the "oooh he looks good on YouTube" transfer policy of many Premier League clubs mean that clubs run with anyone with more than half a brain cell can actually go quite far. Just look at Southampton - they rinsed a couple of rich, established Premier League clubs for a few academy players and then actually thought about the kind of team they wanted to build and the kind of players they were going to sign.

Look at Aaron Lennon being banded about on deadline day. Were 5 sides really lacking for an "Lennon-type player"? Did all 5 head coaches/managers go to their head of recruitment or scouts and ask for a winger, and all five came back with Aaron Lennon as the best answer? Of course not. They're just so wrapped up in their money games that they're thinking about nicking players off each other more than building a team.

You can say "yeah but look at Leicester" but they had exactly the similar process as most Premier League sides. All they did was use their money to build a team where in every position, they had someone as good if not better than anyone else in the Championship, and obviously they were eventually going to storm the league doing that. But you'll get found out in the top flight soon enough.

I think that some clubs sign players out of fear that other clubs might sign them.

See the Aaron Lennon part. Think I put it somewhere in Chapter 4.

Is that before or after Pierre is forced to march with the Grand Army following their disastrous retreat from Moscow?

Archived