Asian Cup 2015, Australia

Albert

Japan goal attempts: 35

UAE: 3

Where are you getting that from?

Foxsports lists it as 35-8, with 13 on target to 7 on target.

Japan hit a lot of shot shots, and a lot of hopeful crosses. They didn't have the cutting edge and the UAE got their tactics right. It wasn't even some "lucky" goal from the UAE either, Japan had nearly conceded a minute or so earlier.

Japan weren't terrible out there, but it wasn't that great of a performance, and the possession wasn't even something special for the tournament. The most telling stat for their style of play was 55 crosses.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan hit a lot of shot shots, and a lot of hopeful crosses. They didn't have the cutting edge and the UAE got their tactics right. It wasn't even some "lucky" goal from the UAE either, Japan had nearly conceded a minute or so earlier.

Japan weren't terrible out there, but it wasn't that great of a performance, and the possession wasn't even something special for the tournament. The most telling stat for their style of play was 55 crosses.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/xEoHZwfQ/#match-statistics;0

Japan 35 attempts to their 3.

Japan 17 corners to their 0

The only reason Japan didn't win that by 3 or 4 is because they lack a player to put the ball in the back of the net. They created some fantastic chances. I remember 4 free headers for example all from less than 4 yards out and not a single one even tested their keeper.

The amount of times the ball came within inches of a goal was staggering.

Their problem has always been their lack of a finisher and boy, did it show tonight!

Japan 2nd half: 72% possession

Extra time: Japan 74% possession

Nothing special about that.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/xEoHZwfQ/#match-statistics;0

Japan 35 attempts to their 3.

Japan 17 corners to their 0

The only reason Japan didn't win that by 3 or 4 is because they lack a player to put the ball in the back of the net. They created some fantastic chances. I remember 4 free headers for example all from less than 4 yards out and not a single one even tested their keeper.

Their problem has always been their lack of a finisher and boy, did it show tonight!

To be honest, I trust the official broadcasters (Fox Sports and the ABC) of the tournament over a site I've never heard of. Do you know how they gather their match stats?

In any case you're right about the problem, they don't have that edge to score goals, much like Australia don't seem to without Tim Cahill causing havoc in defences. I don't know, maybe we value cutting edge a bit differently, but after years of watching Asian football, possession and crossing doesn't exactly make for a "good" performance.

It's interesting how differently the UAE played for this game.

Will be interesting to see how they do against Australia. Cahill with free headers...

To be honest, I trust the official broadcasters (Fox Sports and the ABC) of the tournament over a site I've never heard of. Do you know how they gather their match stats?

In any case you're right about the problem, they don't have that edge to score goals, much like Australia don't seem to without Tim Cahill causing havoc in defences. I don't know, maybe we value cutting edge a bit differently, but after years of watching Asian football, possession and crossing doesn't exactly make for a "good" performance.

It's interesting how differently the UAE played for this game.

Will be interesting to see how they do against Australia. Cahill with free headers...

Try the official site for the Asian Games and you'll find the same stats. They really did have 3 shots!

I wish UAE well but cannot see them having much chance against the Aussies.

There's nothing much to fear in the other semi with a very poor Korea side (by their recent standards) and a plucky Iraq.

Japan 2nd half: 72% possession

Extra time: Japan 74% possession

Nothing special about that.

Australia was keeping similar levels of possession throughout the tournament so far. They were around 80% for a the best half against China if I recall.

You can have all the ball, but if you can't put it in the net it's worthless.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Australia go out the same way. If they play like they did against Korea (which again, had similar possession to today's game, arguably created better chance, though less in volume), it's a distinct possibility. Of particular worry is that if they do beat the UAE, it's quite possibly a match against Korea again, and if not, Iraq, who have caused Australia problems in the past.

Try the official site for the Asian Games and you'll find the same stats. They really did have 3 shots!

I wish UAE well but cannot see them having much chance against the Aussies.

There's nothing much to fear in the other semi with a very poor Korea side (by their recent standards) and a plucky Iraq.

Interesting. Not really sure who's numbers to trust, the official broadcasters, or the media side of the AFC. Doesn't really matter in the end though.

Korea in attack don't look overly threatening on the whole, but they've shown they have the magic to find a goal, and look the most solid defensively out of the entire tournament. Iraq can also do a lot of damage on their day.

They still beat japan didn't they? Has an appeal been logged?

Iran have launched an appeal. Oh dear...

Their argument is that an Iraqi player (registered for the tournament, played in the group stages too) was suspended due to doping a while back. So far I can't find any evidence that any ban was given to him, it comes across like Iran hoping to use it as a get out of gaol free card.

The Iran appeal smacks of desperation a little.  Was there any truth at all in their claims?

To my knowledge the player had never actually been banned, and as such to my knowledge he could only have been retrospectively banned, which I seriously doubt would have resulted in Iraq being disqualified.

This was SBS football reporter Scott McIntyre's take on it:

This is my understanding of events regarding Iran/Iraq doping case. In September Alaa Abdul Zahra was randomly drug tested. That test processed in Cologne as there are no WADA facilities in Iran. The Iranian doping agency (NADO) and FIFA were notified of a positive A test for Methylhexanamine. The player was not notified & no B test was done. FIFA requested further information from the Iranian FA on multiple occasions and this was not received. On January 21, NADO wrote to FIFA requesting action. The case was sent to the AFC Disciplinary Com. The position around the case couldn't be processed for procedural reasons, inc. that the player wasn't notified & no B test had been done.

Source: twitter, posted in multiple parts

Take from that what you will.

Oh dear...

A top Iranian official on Sunday called for a life ban for Australian referee Ben Williams after a bungling display in their tempestuous Asian Cup quarter-final loss to Iraq.

Delegation chief Houshang Moghaddas said Iran would lodge a formal complaint against Williams following the dismissal of their protest that had Iraq fielded an ineligible player.

"We will complain 100 percent, yes. With documents, with DVDs. This referee must be suspended for life," Moghaddas told AFP in Sydney.

"Our team was going to be the champions here. We worked on this team for four years. We brought a very good and ready team. They spoiled it. The referee spoiled it."

Iran were furious with Williams after he questionably yellow-carded defender Mehdrad Pooladi for simulation in the first half of their rollercoaster quarter-final with Iraq.

Williams started to run off before being reminded he had already cautioned Pooladi, and returned to brandish a red card -- an incident which enraged Iran coach Carlos Queiroz.

Iran, Asia's top-ranked side, were leading 1-0 at the time but the game finished 3-3 after extra time before Iraq won a penalty shootout 7-6 in Canberra.

Queiroz had already been hit with a $3,000 fine for criticising Williams following their Group C win over Bahrain, and he struggled to control himself after Friday's game.

"Can he sleep tonight?" fumed the former Real Madrid and Portugal boss.

Iran will make the delayed trip home on Monday after they failed with a formal protest claiming that Iraq's Alaa Abdulzehra should have been ineligible because he tested positive for drugs last year.

Source

...talk about taking defeat graciously.

Archived