Our best team now ?

nfb

When everyone's fit: Grant, Christie, Buxton, Keogh, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Ward, Russell, Martin

Right now: Grant, Christie, Shotton, Keogh, Forsyth, Eustace, Hughes, Bryson, Dawkins, Russell, Martin

It's going to be an interesting few months for us moving forward. We have a lot of depth and variety in the squad, which we didn't have previously.

I think with everyone fit, the defence picks itself. I can't see Shotton displacing Christie at right-back in the long-term because Christie by all accounts has impressed so far but perhaps Shotton was preferred yesterday due to his top-flight/big game experience. 

However, Shotton or Whitbread could make their mark at centre-back given the opportunity. Buxton is obviously not fully fit and has been playing through the pain barrier. It puzzles me why when we have the rare instance of two fit and able deputies, we still have opted to play Buxton.

Eustace will be preferred to Omar unless we have three games in a week because of his extra experience. Omar is obviously highly thought of but until he can settle and build an understanding with the players and the coaches and get up to speed with the demands of Championship football, with Thorne out, Eustace is the obvious choice. 

The rest of the midfield three is always harder to pick. Hendrick's injury means that Bryson and Hughes will be preferred but when all fit, I actually think Hendrick and Hughes is the long-term answer. Bryson has obviously established himself as a key player for us but I think we'll find he has plateaued and will struggle to perform to the same level as in previous years. I just think if you weigh up the qualities each player brings to the side, Hughes and Hendrick bring balance and the potential for growth. The best is yet to come from them and it's nice to think we would have two Academy products at the heart of the team. Again though, it's a nice problem to have.

Similarly in attack, we have some very interesting options. Of course, Martin is the obvious spearhead but the arrivals of Best, Ibe and Calero to add to Dawkins from last year certainly give us the chance to freshen up things if needed. Ward and Russell's qualities are well-known, but if they can't find consistency or fitness, their places in the side could well be up for grabs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived