Capello leaves out Owen

Day

Fabio Capello has again left out Michael Owen for England's friendly with Holland next week.

Although Owen has not featured for his country since the friendly defeat in

France nearly 18 months ago, it was thought his surprise summer switch to

Manchester United might earn him a return to international duty.

However, after watching Owen in action at Old Trafford on Wednesday night, when Owen drew a blank in United's 2-0 win over Valencia, Capello has left him out of his squad to face Holland in Amsterdam on Wednesday.

Instead, Owen's Red Devils team-mate Wayne Rooney is joined by Emile Heskey, Jermain Defoe and Carlton Cole to form a four-man English strikeforce.

That means there is also no place for Peter Crouch, even though the Tottenham new boy was part of the England side that overwhelmed Andorra on their last outing at Wembley.

The other surprise absentee is David James.

James has been regarded as Capello's first-choice goalkeeper and was expected to return after missing the World Cup wins against Kazakhstan and Andorra after undergoing shoulder surgery.

However, even though James was part of the Portsmouth side that tackled Rangers on Saturday afternoon, he is missing from the squad which instead includes Ben Foster, who also sat out the June double-header because of a thumb operation, along with Robert Green and Paul Robinson.

David Beckham will make the flight back from Los Angeles in order to take part, while James Milner gets a place in the senior ranks, although he seems unlikely to start in the Amsterdam Arena.

Full squad: Foster (Manchester United), Green (West Ham), Robinson (Blackburn); Bridge (Manchester City), A Cole (Chelsea), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Johnson (Liverpool), Lescott (Everton), Terry (Chelsea), Upson (West Ham); Barry (Manchester City), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Carrick (Manchester United), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Aston Villa), Walcott (Arsenal), Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Young (Aston Villa); Cole (West Ham), Heskey (Aston Villa), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Tottenham).

[url=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5480914,00.html]http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5480914,00.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just because he signed for MANu don't mean he's the bogs ****** again.

Capinhando watched him miss 4 sitters last week, so what does he expect? Let him get some PREM games under his belt and some goals, if he can remember what they are.

Originally posted by Boycie;27321

Well, just because he signed for MANu don't mean he's the bogs ****** again.

Capinhando watched him miss 4 sitters last week, so what does he expect? Let him get some PREM games under his belt and some goals, if he can remember what they are.

Exactly this.

I wanted to see Owen in the squad personally, if he can stay injury free he can be a real asset to the England team in the World Cup. Rooney and Owen will build up a decent partnership at United and we should be making the most of that by playing them both in the England team. Owen has had a decent pre-season under his belt at United, is it 4 goals in 6 games? for me he should of been included in the squad.

Originally posted by David;27447

I wanted to see Owen in the squad personally, if he can stay injury free he can be a real asset to the England team in the World Cup. Rooney and Owen will build up a decent partnership at United and we should be making the most of that by playing them both in the England team. Owen has had a decent pre-season under his belt at United, is it 4 goals in 6 games? for me he should of been included in the squad.

He's better than Carlton Cole and Emile Heskey.

Originally posted by David;27447

I think his legs are gone.

I feel sorry for owen really because i remember when he was crowned european player of the year when we went down at anfield, his time at madrid ruined him, they have a habit of rushing people back, give him time and if he gets good service he may be back on form, every goalscorer needs confidence, once he scores a few he could score many

Originally posted by derbydan;27513

i quite like big emile

So do I Rooney and Heskey hold the ball up well and Owen and Defoe are natural goalscorers. I think Owen will still make the World Cup squad, his move to Man Utd will kickstart his career again.

Archived