Are Two Attacking Full-backs A Problem?

Hans

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate attacking fullbacks. They're almost as poor choice as "ball playing" centrebacks. Time of attacking fullbacks are gone, it was a trend which didn't last long.

Did Germany have attacking fullbacks? No. Lahm could've be used as one but wasn't. ATM best teams (you could say modern teams) attacks so fastly you just have to have 5 men defending or you'll concede.

Don't know about Christie but I wouldn't call Forsyth as a one. It was one those pivotal things McClaren changed in his game, he can cross from pretty far nowadays and is much more solid defensively this way.

Lahm practically played right midfield for Germany in the tournament. Their rigid defence almost cost them, especially against Algeria.

There's room for one attacking full back in the side, otherwise the balance is disrupted. The CDM can help to an extent and in the majority of home matches when we play on the front foot there shouldn't be much of a problem, it's the tougher tighter games where we could be exposed.

I'm unconvinced by it. Christie should be given a chance but it wouldn't surprise if we were to get a right back in on loan once Premier League sides announce their Champions League squads.

Archived