QPR fan in peace -- a little context

flatfoot

Interesting reading this.

As you can tell by the username, I am not one of 'Arry fans, and rue the day he turned up at our place.

I wish McClaren had of stayed with us and retirement bound Rednkapp moved aside as I expect he will due to his knee in the summer. Great, another new manager to take the boards pants down and spank them in public by signing Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand and Hagi.

I know a fare few Rangers fans that don't want to go up. The sight of Fernandes waving a scarf around his head, validating the fact that he spent an obscene amount of money on a load of past it, mercenary cockwombles if we do is too much to bear. What steps will this board take to further drag us though the mud and make us look even more like cvnts.

I love the club, but I hate what we have become, and its a terrible position to be in.

But hey ho... that's modern football, and I'm falling out of love with it.

Anyway, hope its a decent game.

Cheers.

And cheers to you too. Football is changing very quickly and money is buying success in a way that it might not have done before. But I'll never forget that we have been Champions twice in my lifetime, nor undone so succinctly and capriciously by Stan Bowles, and some Greeks I've never heard of, before or after, at the BBG.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny we should have a Leicester fan on the thread whilst discussing big spending. I read on BBC's site the other day that your owners were wanting to invest £150m in your squad to guarantee you a European place within 3 (might have been 5) seasons. Unless they're being spectacularly naïve, I don't think they'll be able to keep a wage cap of £30k a week for long.

Question is, do you think they're being realistic with their ambitions? I'm also not totally au fait with your owners - have they converted the money they've splashed on you guys into equity or is it debt sat on the club like Cardiff?

On the face of it, our Thai owners appear to be really good guys. They made a massive mistake employing Eriksson, but they recognised it, paid him off and got Pearson back, with the brief to cut the wage bill and get us into the Premier League. In the second half of last season (2012-13) we suffered a slump, going from second to seventh, and a lot of people were calling for Pearson's head (despite the fact that in the previous ten years, we'd never been higher than 12th). The owners said nothing in public, but apparently told Pearson he was safe until the end of his contract at least - ie, the end of this season. He, in turn, got rid of all of the high-earners, either by transferring or loaning them out, and got us promoted in some style.

Meantime, the owners bought our stadium, which had been owned by an American pension company, Teachers, since our administration in 2002 - they'd loaned us a lot of the money to build it, and had been charging us a fairly hefty rent ever since. The Thais then converted all of their loans (£103m of them) into equity, and revalued the squad, to get us into shape to meet the FFP regulations.

The announcement of the £180 million (not £150m) took us by surprise. However, what Vichai (the owner) said is that he now wants to establish us as a Premier League club "for as long as possible...We should be able to stay there for at least two or three years." Now there is a realistic City fan!

He then went on to say that his next objective was to make us a top-five club, which he recognised could cost as much as 10 billion Baht (£180m). He said this to reporters in Bangkok, and I suspect it was for local consumption. All of the City squad, plus Pearson, have been over there on a jolly for about ten days, and it's in all the local papers. King Power is a Thai business, and I am guessing that Vichai's main ambition is to make Leicester one of the top five clubs that Thais support. I doubt very much that any UK media outlet will hear directly from him next season: according to Pearson, he only speaks to him a couple of times a year.

Let's face it, £180m would be a drop in the ocean to get a medium-sized club anywhere near a European spot, so in answer to your question, no they are not being realistic - if they mean it. On the other hand, they are definitely not like Tan at Cardiff or the Allams at Hull.

Interesting reading this.

As you can tell by the username, I am not one of 'Arry fans, and rue the day he turned up at our place.

I wish McClaren had of stayed with us and retirement bound Rednkapp moved aside as I expect he will due to his knee in the summer. Great, another new manager to take the boards pants down and spank them in public by signing Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand and Hagi.

I know a fare few Rangers fans that don't want to go up. The sight of Fernandes waving a scarf around his head, validating the fact that he spent an obscene amount of money on a load of past it, mercenary cockwombles if we do is too much to bear. What steps will this board take to further drag us though the mud and make us look even more like cvnts.

I love the club, but I hate what we have become, and its a terrible position to be in.

But hey ho... that's modern football, and I'm falling out of love with it.

Anyway, hope its a decent game.

Cheers.

I love this phrase so much that I want to marry it and have its children.

The case in point is Swansea City. They qualified for Europe in two seasons just by having a sensible model, and sticking to it. Okay, it came via winning the League Cup, but when you're a Premier League quality side it is quite easy to win something like that with the right sort of application. Hull might even find themselves in Europe.

With Arsenal making the Champion's League, Hull are already in Europe.

I reckon Rednapp will be lining up Marlon King pretty soon...

Is Arry's next job managing Wormwood Scrubs United then?

Archived