Seven years today....

Mafiabob

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done on your 7 years ans good luck with your continued fight.

I am lucky as in i've never had a additive personality and was also very ignorant and dismissive of those that did get hooked on stuff, Be it gambling, Booze or drugs.

But after seeing a couple of close mates go through similar things and seeing one lose all he had worked for over a 30 year period, I can see how real a problem this is for some people and congratulate anybody that can battle back and keep fighting their addiction.

thankyou Ossie, really appreciate that, I used to be dismissive of people with addictions too, drugs booze and gambling are all the same and all have the same thing in common.

GA lets you recognise the choices you make, and helps you develop decision/choice making processes.

You never stop being a compulsive gambler - you never get it under control. It's always there, but GA gave me the means to control my own choices.

precisely this.

I think in the future there's going to be hell to pay. I work in social housing with a lot of people who are in the mire economically, and the drive from government and councils is to put everything digitally to the end consumer. So to help the jobless find work there's schemes that provide laptops to people so they can access the Internet. Most common first question we get is, how do I get on the gambling sites. It's a recipe for disaster.

I think in the future there's going to be hell to pay. I work in social housing with a lot of people who are in the mire economically, and the drive from government and councils is to put everything digitally to the end consumer. So to help the jobless find work there's schemes that provide laptops to people so they can access the Internet. Most common first question we get is, how do I get on the gambling sites. It's a recipe for disaster.

They should provide laptops with Gamblock installed - if it's still available.

It was developed in Australia I think in response to their online gamling problems. It welds itself into the OS of the PC and blocks any gambling sites or sites with gambling activities. But it blocks it by shutting down the PC. I knew an IT director who installed it to stop himself gambling and he said that even he couldn't take it off once installed.

Gambling has become the new cigarettes, which was the new alcohol.

When something's identified as an effect on human life, well being and health people campaign to stop it.

ASH was one such group - we got ban on advertising tobacco, raised aged to buy and public place ban. Ban on sport sponsorship.

Then it was alcohol - due to binge drinking. Minimum price campaigning, reduced exposure on TV and sports advertising (no ban but I guess companies don't want to be linked with enticing youth the drink)

Gambling will be next, at the moment gambling is filling the void on TV and sports advertising. It generates taxes for the government (replacing lost revenue from cigarettes and alcohol) the governments GamCare help advice doesn't tell a problem gambler to stop - merely set themselve limits. (Despite a problem gamblers general inability to stick to limits)eventually the problem will come to a head.

Under 18s can gamble if the prize is no more than £15 and stake no more than 20p. What's worse is holiday arcades encourage very young children to gamble. Collect tokens and swap for prizes. How do you win tokens- play fruit machines, FOBT and other gambling variants. Whatever happened to seaside arcades haven't video games to play?

I think it says more about the mentality of the people than anything. Hopefully all dangerous sites are blocked by default - but that's what they more than anything else ask about.

True but, if the laptop is provided for a purpose it should be set up to stop any use other than for that purpose.

It's a personal thing JW - they were bad enough for me to need to find help. I found the help.

What's bad enough for me isn't always bad enough for others.

JW would I be right in thinking you think may need help?

Absolutely not. 

It's a topic I could spend hours talking about and I'm just curious to hear other peoples stories. 

Absolutely not.

It's a topic I could spend hours talking about and I'm just curious to hear other peoples stories.

Sorry if I caused offense.

Yeah it's fascinating topic, and the parallels between gambling and alcoholism are clear - yet ignored. The AA programme - 12 steps to recovery have been used for Smoking, narcotics, gambling. When someone turns to the programme depends on the person, and the level of their rock bottom.

I've told my story in the past, it's painful to tell. I'll write it down in full one day when the time is right. Every time I tell it I remember something else, If I told it all from start to finish it would take me hours.

Sorry if I caused offense.

Yeah it's fascinating topic, and the parallels between gambling and alcoholism are clear - yet ignored. The AA programme - 12 steps to recovery have been used for Smoking, narcotics, gambling. When someone turns to the programme depends on the person, and the level of their rock bottom.

I've told my story in the past, it's painful to tell. I'll write it down in full one day when the time is right. Every time I tell it I remember something else, If I told it all from start to finish it would take me hours.

No offence caused at all.

Archived