hard luck derby

B4ev6is

I'm not sure I follow your logic but I'll try. It's fine you cherry picking a game to suit your argument, so allow me to do the same, a little closer to home.

Against QPR recently, we won 1-0. I think we deserved it because we got the goal but we also had to defend stoutly, which as I said previously is as important an ability as being able to attack. Our skill in defence allowed us that platform to win the game. Presumably you think we didn't deserve it because we didn't play them off the park and thrash them? (maybe this post should be aimed at Bris?)

No, we deserved to win because we were better. We didnt need them to miss a bunch of chances/luck. We defended well.

I don't mean you should have to play well to 'deserve' a win. I mean you should have to be the better team.

You know like Derby v Forest.

Derby have 45% possession

Ward misses a 1v1

Sammon misses a free header from 2 yards

Martin misses a penalty and 4 easy chances inside the box

Forest have 55% possession

Cox misses a 1v1

Reid scores a free kick

Derby 0-1 Forest

Very scrappy game. Lots of hoofing.

Now imo I'd say Derby deserved to win. Reid could have put the ball in the net, Grant could have tripped over a pass back. The majority of the Derby team defended well and created better chances. They weren't at their best in possession but only Cox had a chance.

Reid deserved to be on the winning team because he scored. Ward and Martin can't complain because they had their chances. Other than that it comes down to which team rode their luck most. Which team had the most players that deserved to win? That's the team that deserved to win.

I wouldn't say it's about playing well. You just want to do that because its about good habits.

It's just about being the better team.

Derby v QPR

Derby created more and better opportunities. Including the best chance of the entire game. A few of our lads couldn't complain much if we lost because they missed a couple of good chances. But QPR didnt defend that well. They didnt attack very well. The score is irrelevant really. More of our players deserved to win. They did more to win the game.

I just think in football you generally get what you deserve. There are plenty of robberies and that makes it worth watching. I just don't like it when it's us.

Sounds stupid and pointless but I'd rather have gone 2-0 down to Bournemouth by HT and beat Birmingham or Bolton like we deserved to. I hate us getting punished for being 90% good. That 10% could be a free kick that wasn't a foul. A coffee cup. A beach ball.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, we deserved to win because we were better. We didnt need them to miss a bunch of chances/luck. We defended well.

I don't mean you should have to play well to 'deserve' a win. I mean you should have to be the better team.

You know like Derby v Forest.

Derby have 45% possession

Ward misses a 1v1

Sammon misses a free header from 2 yards

Martin misses a penalty and 4 easy chances inside the box

Forest have 55% possession

Cox misses a 1v1

Reid scores a free kick

Derby 0-1 Forest

Very scrappy game. Lots of hoofing.

Now imo I'd say Derby deserved to win. Reid could have put the ball in the net, Grant could have tripped over a pass back. The majority of the Derby team defended well and created better chances. They weren't at their best in possession but only Cox had a chance.

Reid deserved to be on the winning team because he scored. Ward and Martin can't complain because they had their chances. Other than that it comes down to which team rode their luck most. Which team had the most players that deserved to win? That's the team that deserved to win.

I wouldn't say it's about playing well. You just want to do that because its about good habits.

It's just about being the better team.

Derby v QPR

Derby created more and better opportunities. Including the best chance of the entire game. A few of our lads couldn't complain much if we lost because they missed a couple of good chances. But QPR didnt defend that well. They didnt attack very well. The score is irrelevant really. More of our players deserved to win. They did more to win the game.

I just think in football you generally get what you deserve. There are plenty of robberies and that makes it worth watching. I just don't like it when it's us.

Sounds stupid and pointless but I'd rather have gone 2-0 down to Bournemouth by HT and beat Birmingham or Bolton like we deserved to. I hate us getting punished for being 90% good. That 10% could be a free kick that wasn't a foul. A coffee cup. A beach ball.

I agree totally with this.  It's quite common to hear people say "I'm not bothered about possession/performances - goals win games".  The problem with playing badly and winning is that it's not sustainable.  You're far more likely to win games by being the better team.  Eventually the goals you were scoring whilst playing poorly dry up - the ball doesn't take that ricochet off a defender's a*se and roll into the net, you don't get the iffy penalty - and when they do you end up losing.  And then what have you got to show for it? You can't even have the satisfaction of saying you played well, or the comfort of knowing that you didn't deserve to lose.  All you're left with is a defeat AND a **** performance.  Funny thing is, when that happens the "goals win games" crowd are the first to start complaining, whereas those that go on performances were expecting it to happen all along.

Take our 06/07 promotion season under Davies.  I knew what was coming in the Prem after that. I knew it, and I even said it to several people in the summer before the Prem season kicked off, and got some strange looks for saying it.  But there were so many games in that Championship promotion season where I came out of Pride Park literally laughing at the ridiculousness of some of the wins we got.  Barnsley and WBA in particular were two of the luckiest wins I've ever seen.

You can only play as badly as we did that year and get lucky for so long before the inevitable happens and you come crashing down to Earth.

Archived