George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

A bit like "Bosman"? If Thorne's case went to European court would the outcome be referred to it as a Thorney Issue? :D

Oh Christ, what have you done...shove off Boycie, nothing to see here... ;)

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice back down.

"If ever there was a case where a legal challenge might rear up is this one"

I think thats how you put it?

How is this case different to any other transfer/non-transfer negotiation that goes on in the world of football?

Back down? Erm, no.

There's talk in the press occasionally of players wanting greater freedom of contract right? Peace and Thorne are both stuck in stubbornly held positions, Thorn made the "under duress" statement in his interview. This saga is on the raggedy edge of the routine transfer, where a legal challenge might be made. I wouldn't want to see it because it wouldn't be good for the game IMO.

Back down? Erm, no.

There's talk in the press occasionally of players wanting greater freedom of contract right? Peace and Thorne are both stuck in stubbornly held positions, Thorn made the "under duress" statement in his interview. This saga is on the raggedy edge of the routine transfer, where a legal challenge might be made. I wouldn't want to see it because it wouldn't be good for the game IMO.

I try to make this more simple for you in the hope you might understand the question.

Derby make offer for George Thorne.

West Brom reject it.

George Thorne hands in transfer request.

West Brom reject it.

This scenario happens every season in football.

So why do you believe this case is any different, and has more grounds for a possible legal challenge ?

I'm probably just being thick but I just don't see it

I try to make this more simple for you in the hope you might understand the question.

Derby make offer for George Thorne.

West Brom reject it.

George Thorne hands in transfer request.

West Brom reject it.

This scenario happens every season in football.

So why do you believe this case is any different, and has more grounds for a possible legal challenge ?

I'm probably just being thick but I just don't see it

I believe you're over-thinking what I said, or perhaps not able to get past being upset about George spurning your club. Grounds for legal challenge are probably no greater than any other mooted transfer (although the "duress" statement might come into play), but in all football contracts there is a difference from normal employment in the presumption that a fee is payable if a player is under contract and the restraint of trade implications have been discussed.

The points I tried to make were that, 1) we want George, 2) we probably won't get him, and 3) it will get bitter between WBA and their player, and in those circumstances that restraint of trade thing might conceivably be tested in law. Which I don't want to see. Oh and 4) you lot like a whine.

Point three was the least of these, but you've latched on to it for some reason.

If this was the case then I'm sure it would happen regularly.

I'm struggling to think of it ever happening in the top English leagues.

As you seem knowledgeable on the subject perhaps you could name some occasions where it has happened?

You lot don't seem to understand that you cannot own a player anymore, you may have a contract and it may state this that and the other, however he can just tear it up. Yes there are consequences

It actually happens all the time, players are released from their contracts 'by mutual consent', this maybe the first where he invokes article 17 and walks, depending on if he and/or another team buy out his contract, he could end up at QPR, they have the cash to splash.

You lot are trying to blame all this on Derby, all we did was make a bid for him, you lot have thrown the toys out of the pram.  Pathetic club.

This thread is going to double the Russell one from last year, should start a sweep stake, I'm going for the 200 page mark.

My own opinion on this is that Thorne wants to come, we want him, Peace is a stubborn d1ck and that we will have to pay his valuation or move on, the best scenario for both may be something like say 2 - 3 mill now with a fee rising to say 5 mill if we go up in the next 2 years as well as a 10% sell on fee. May suit both parties.

Thorne just tweeted a video of his nephew messing about with a football, a WBA fan has responded abusing GT saying he hopes he breaks his legs, he's favourited it.

Not only 'favourited' it; also reposted it with a thumbs up.

The video was filmed in Portugal... John Vicars said that transfers were taking a long time to be finalised as people were on holiday...

It all makes sense now...  ;)

You lot don't seem to understand that you cannot own a player anymore, you may have a contract and it may state this that and the other, however he can just tear it up. Yes there are consequences

It actually happens all the time, players are released from their contracts 'by mutual consent', this maybe the first where he invokes article 17 and walks, depending on if he and/or another team buy out his contract, he could end up at QPR, they have the cash to splash.

You lot are trying to blame all this on Derby, all we did was make a bid for him, you lot have thrown the toys out of the pram.  Pathetic club.

Where have I laid any blame at Derby? I've only stated if you pay the money wba find acceptable you'll get him.

If this happens I don't have a problem, players come and go all the time.

But let's not be silly here, he is not going to invoke some article tear up his contract and be on his way. If it was that easy contracts wouldn't exist.

No, no, I completely understand. Now don't you think it's time to go back to your forum? We've got Ross McCormack to attend to.

I don't have a forum.

I suggest you go to the Ross McCormack pages if you need to attend to him, this is a George Thorne one

It's as simple as this.

Derby pay what WBA want (£2m/£5m/£10m - doesn't matter), you get him.

Derby don't pay that WBA want, he stays put.

It is then down to GT to knuckle down and play well for us, or his football development will stagnate. 

Transfer requests, press interviews, legality of contracts will not affect this transfer.

Straight after the play off final we were all a bit gutted and desperate to keep the core of the side together. The clamour for us to sign GT was huge.

I would still really like him to sign. Would be fantastic. But in the last few weeks I have become more relaxed. We have an excellent coach and I trust the new scouting network. If we don't get GT or Wisdom back, we will find adequate replacements. There's a lot of talent out there.

Hope GT comes. Won't lose any sleep if he stays at wba.

Someone from westbrom.com analysed his time with us since 18......

November 2011 - Portsmouth 
December 2011 - Recalled to Albion
February 2012 - Portsmouth
March 2012 - Injured and ruled out for season
November 2012 - Peterboro
December 2012 - Recalled to Albion and plays
February 2013 - Injured and out for 8 x months
November 2013 Fit again and loaned to Watford
Start January 2014 - Comes back to Albion 
End January 2014 - Loaned to Derby for rest of the Season after signing new deal.

So by my reckoning since November 2011 he has actually been available to the club for selection -

December 2011 to February 2012
August 2012 to November 2012
December 2012 to January 2013 (When he actually played for us)
January 2014

So since the age of 18 (he is now 21) he has been available for a grand total of 8 x months in ( 6 of those months he was 18 or 19 with no or little experience) and one of the other months out the 8 he actually played for us in! Other than that he has either been injured or out on loan (despite him claiming we stopped him going out)

Archived