McClaren's past formations/players

Ramplinho

Just reviewing McClaren's preference for formations and players because I'm bored so thought I'd share.

Middlesbrough - Spent the first 4 seasons playing mostly 4-4-2, apart from a spell of about 15 games in his second season when he moved to 4-3-3.  During the final season he switched around a lot between 4-4-2, 3-5-2 and 4-5-1.

England - Mostly 4-4-2 with the odd game using 4-5-1/4-3-3

FC Twente - 4-3-3 right the way through (both spells)

Wolfsburg - An even split of 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2

Forest - started with 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-3-2 in his opening 2 games, but learned what he had to work with and changed to a basic 4-4-2. Played 5-3-2 in his last 2 games as he looked to change things.

Players he worked with at Boro who are still around (bearing in mind he has tended to recruit old players in the past) - Downing, Yakubu, Parnaby, Brad Jones, Morrison, Bates, Graham, Wheater, Taylor, Cattermole, Adam Johnson,

And Forest - Camp, Chambers, Morgan, Anderson, Derbyshire, McGugan, Reid, McCleary, Cohen, Gunter, McGoldrick, Tudgay, 

Random trivia - he signed both Ruiz and Tiote for Twente for bargain fees considering their later prices, and managed Fer (Norwich) and Chadli (Spurs) during his second spell there, as well as working with Dzeko (Citeh) and Reither (Fulham) at Wolfsburg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe his changes at half time took us to a 4-3-3, and that's the formation I expected to see tbh.

A lot of people really wanted 4-3-3 during pre-season and we never really got it, even though our squad is ideal for it.

Main striker: Martin, Sammon

Wingers: Ward, Russell, Jacobs, Bennett, Bavies, possibly Coutts

Cm's: Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Eustace, Bavies, Coutts

His most successful ever period was with a 4-3-3 at Twente, hopefully he'll look to adopt it here. Also means Jacobs and Bennett may get more pitch time, this formation suits them much better than the diamond.

Players he worked with at Boro who are still around (bearing in mind he has tended to recruit old players in the past) - Downing, Yakubu, Parnaby, Brad Jones, Morrison, Bates, Graham, Wheater, Taylor, Cattermole, Adam Johnson,

And Forest - Camp, Chambers, Morgan, Anderson, Derbyshire, McGugan, Reid, McCleary, Cohen, Gunter, McGoldrick, Tudgay, 

Random trivia - he signed both Ruiz and Tiote for Twente for bargain fees considering their later prices, and managed Fer (Norwich) and Chadli (Spurs) during his second spell there, as well as working with Dzeko (Citeh) and Reither (Fulham) at Wolfsburg

doubt he'd try and bring in any of his forest players as it didn't go so well there - but from middlesborough i could definitely see cattermole or maybe wheater being possible.

Archived