NFL thread

Perky1106

47 minutes ago, Srg said:

Redzone is great for skipping between all the action - think Soccer Saturday but with live action and no annoying pundits.

I would just recommend watching as much as possible and don't go in having already picked a team. Probably better to start by watching full games rather than Redzone, so you understand it a bit better.

Bit late for that now, got hooked from watching the Amazon series following the Cards last season and I'd say I'm pretty happy to follow them.

I'm fairly familiar with the game through that series, general knowledge of the sport through general to shows/films etc and playing a **** load of Madden.

I'm interested in following the league in general though, outside of the Cards, so Redzone sounds perfect.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Bit late for that now, got hooked from watching the Amazon series following the Cards last season and I'd say I'm pretty happy to follow them.

I'm fairly familiar with the game through that series, general knowledge of the sport through general to shows/films etc and playing a **** load of Madden.

I'm interested in following the league in general though, outside of the Cards, so Redzone sounds perfect.

I like the Cardinals, ever since Kurt Warner took them to SB 43. One of the most exciting Superbowls in recent memory. You will find there are teams you like, and some you hate, which is all part of the fun. As a Giants fan, I will typically only find time to watch them, but if I've got time I'll watch highlights of most teams.

Watching an entire game will help you understand the smaller parts of the game that make each play potentially game changing. 

I have minor hope for the Chargers this season - the AFC is pretty bad and there is potential there for a solid young core (Allen, Verrett, MG3, Bosa) to complement Rivers and Gates. Probably still 6-10 or 7-9, last in the AFC West; hopefully that gets the dreadful McCoy and Pagano fired and replaced with better coaches for what will probably be the first season in L.A..

29 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

What is the story with Jared Goff (LA Rams).  Drafted first in the 2016 pick but not expected to start at the weekend.  I have looked at the Rams' other two QBs and haven't heard of either of them.  Has something gone off?

Nope. Just isn't ready. Skittish in the pocket, game seems a bit big for him.

Case Keenum is fine, he can manage it well for a bit. He won't do anything special, but he shouldn't lose games. Main problem for the Rams is the receiving corps is truly awful, and to boot, the offensive play calling is so vanilla.

In addition, I cant imagine the Rams are happy. You don't give up a ransom to get to No.1 overall and then he's probably the 4th best rookie QB through pre-season (Dak Prescott being number 1 for the Cowboys).

Carson Wentz, who went number 2, was considered the project for Eagles and the talk was they were going to redshirt him behind Bradford and Chase Daniels, however, with Bradford gone, he's beat out Daniels and is set to start week 1 despite getting hurt and missing some of pre season. All this, whilst Goff who was considered the most pro-ready QB in the draft is set to be inactive.

Funny how things happen.

15 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It's why the draft is so dam unpredictable. Every year a top pick flops or suffers a major injury whilst others hit the ground running.

Also shows why reaching for a QB can be such bad business. The best franchises stock-pile draft picks. You can often be better picking a couple of QBs in the midrounds and see what you get. Think Russell Wilson.

10 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Wasn't Tom Brady also a later pick?

Oh yeah, well publicised late pick.

Key to success is finding a good QB who is young and is playing on his rookie deal - that allows you to build a great roster with the rest of the salary cap. If that rookie is outside the first round - like Wilson - then you're laughing.

Other option is be Sam Bradford. Who was the last person to get drafted 1st overall under the new CBA - so got ridiculous money for it.

Rams - 6 year, $78m with $50m guaranteed, with maximum value of $86m (largest rookie deal ever)

Eagles - 2 year, $36m with $24m guaranteed

In other words, he's earnt about $90m for being injured a lot and being average to poor when playing.

15 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Wasn't Tom Brady also a later pick?

6th round;

If I remember rightly he was also competing for the QB job at college. QB was being changed during games.

If I'm remembering that incorrectly, then it still means he only had 2 college seasons as a starter. 

Just now, SaintRam said:

Brees was a 2nd round pick as well.

He gets more publicity for being one of (if not the) best FA in history. 

Can't even be mad at the Chargers for letting him go. Phillip Rivers has been a good player is whole career, just hasn't had as good surrounding talent.

Just now, Srg said:

Can't even be mad at the Chargers for letting him go. Phillip Rivers has been a good player is whole career, just hasn't had as good surrounding talent.

For sure.

You can't blame a franchise for getting scared at an injury. Especially a serious one to the arm of a QB. 

I'm sure there's a tinge of regret though, there've been a number of average-below average players who've been made into something more by the numbers they've gained catching passes from Brees. 

At least in Rivers they got someone above average-good (depending on the season). Couldve backfired to the point of being in QB limbo. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

For sure.

You can't blame a franchise for getting scared at an injury. Especially a serious one to the arm of a QB. 

I'm sure there's a tinge of regret though, there've been a number of average-below average players who've been made into something more by the numbers they've gained catching passes from Brees. 

At least in Rivers they got someone above average-good (depending on the season). Couldve backfired to the point of being in QB limbo. 

True, but I do think the Saints have had a better OC and play calling too. Set up for offense much better.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

True, but I do think the Saints have had a better OC and play calling too. Set up for offense much better.

True. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how much the D has improved this season (it must have improved slightly, being the worst last season). Really think Michael Thomas is going to be a talent. 

On Thursday, September 08, 2016 at 00:49, SaintRam said:

6th round;

If I remember rightly he was also competing for the QB job at college. QB was being changed during games.

If I'm remembering that incorrectly, then it still means he only had 2 college seasons as a starter. 

I was going to say seventh round but you're right.

There is a documentary on the 6 QBs chosen ahead of Brady in that season's draft. Imagine that being your 15 minutes of fame.

52 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

I was going to say seventh round but you're right.

There is a documentary on the 6 QBs chosen ahead of Brady in that season's draft. Imagine that being your 15 minutes of fame.

Thanks for that, just watched it and loved it.  If you know of anymore decent docs please post them.

On 4 September 2016 at 22:36, Srg said:

Sky Sports showing Redzone in HD on Sky Sports Mix this year. So free to none Sky Sports subscribers and also means we get in HD every week not just some weeks, and also now on Sky Go properly. 

As well as this I have just noticed that the Panthers v Cardinals is live tonight on Sky Mix, they are also showing an 'acclaimed' documentary following Superbowl winning teams (the two I can see are Denver '97 & Chicago '85 - which must have been the Fridge Perry year).  There is also a series about European players trying to find NFL teams.

Might be some decent NFL stuff for us.

Archived