Einstein's riddle

Bris Vegas

so you're 'egg yolks' are white then , are they ??

mine are yellow..

What was the question again?

Me brains scrambled :-D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admit it took me a while.. And then after all of that it was slightly obvious.. I focused too much on the first 3 lines had no connection whatsoever.. It was only after I saw the endings 24 then 27 then 30 that it clicked..

The big clue was it was in my 11+ exam nearly 50 years ago - most people who see that puzzle over-complicate it and look for a mathematical solution as opposed to just a logical re-arrangement of the numbers into pairs instead of groups of three.

You have a 2-pan balance (one of those you use to check whether a witch weighs the same as a duck).

You have to be able to weigh, to an accuracy of 1 kilo, any weight between 1 kilo and 121 kilos. You are allowed to choose as many 'set' weights as you like, e.g. if you wanted to weigh 6 kilos, you could have a 1, a 2 and a 3 - or a 1 and a 5, put them on one side of the scale  and they would balance perfectly against a 6 kilo bag of sand on the other side.

The question is, what is the MINIMUM number of set weights that you must use to be able to weigh any weight between 1 and 121 kilos, and what are they?

You have a 2-pan balance (one of those you use to check whether a witch weighs the same as a duck).

You have to be able to weigh, to an accuracy of 1 kilo, any weight between 1 kilo and 121 kilos. You are allowed to choose as many 'set' weights as you like, e.g. if you wanted to weigh 6 kilos, you could have a 1, a 2 and a 3 - or a 1 and a 5, put them on one side of the scale and they would balance perfectly against a 6 kilo bag of sand on the other side.

The question is, what is the MINIMUM number of set weights that you must use to be able to weigh any weight between 1 and 121 kilos, and what are they?

1,2,4,8,16,32 and 64 and you could weigh up to 127 kilos

1,2,4,8,16,32 and 64 and you could weigh up to 127 kilos

Partial credit.

Think again - it's a 2-pan balance and nowhere have I said that you can only put weights on one side.

Not checked it out fully, but going with 5 : 1,3,9,27 and 81.

Yep.

e.g.

to weigh 37 kilos you would have 27 + 9 + 1 on one side

to weigh 36 kilos you would have 27 + 9 on one side

to weigh 35 kilos you would have 27 + 9 on one side, 1 on the other etc.

Going back to the original question. I did it in about 20 minutes by making a 5x5 grid and inserting each set of answers in it. I colour coded the answers to indicate their relationship, so if I had to move one blue answer, I had to move the other one with it etc. This made a set of 'virtual' shapes. As I considered each clue, it made previous insertions impossible, so I removed those sets, and was able to re-insert them in the grid where there was a correct shaped hole.

Going back to the original question. I did it in about 20 minutes by making a 5x5 grid and inserting each set of answers in it. I colour coded the answers to indicate their relationship, so if I had to move one blue answer, I had to move the other one with it etc. This made a set of 'virtual' shapes. As I considered each clue, it made previous insertions impossible, so I removed those sets, and was able to re-insert them in the grid where there was a correct shaped hole.

What was your answer?

Code it..

What was your answer?

Code it..

لم يحصلوا على الوقت للتفكير في هذا الرمز، حتى لقد استخدمت جوجل ترجمة - الألماني لديه الأسماك، كيو يبدو وكأنه عبارة عن 'ألو' ألو

Can someone explain it to me, it's doing my head in.

There are 5 houses.. With 5 different nationalities, colours, cigarettes, drinks and pets in each house..

There are 4 pets using the clues,, The dog, horse, cat and bird.. There is also the fish, you need to find what nationality of person has the pet fish using the clues..

OK so I'll start you off with what I did..

HOUSE 1........HOUSE 2..........HOUSE 3.......HOUSE 4.........HOUSE 5

The first few steps are obvious.. 1. The Norweigen is in the first house (clue 9). 2. The norweigen is next to a blue house (clue 14). 3. The middle house drinks milk (clue 8). 4.

So you have..

HOUSE 1 = Norway

HOUSE 2 = Blue

HOUSE 3 = Milk

HOUSE 4 = (nothing yet)

HOUSE 5 = (nothing yet)

OK the first few riddles..

(clue 1 is the British man has a red house) and (clue 4 the green house is to the left of the white house).. So HOUSE 1 can't be red (because he's norweigen not British), it can't be green (because HOUSE 2 is blue), it can't be white (because green needs to be to the left) therefore HOUSE 1 is yellow..

(clue 7 the yellow house smokes dunhill)

(clue 11 the person that has a horse is next to the one that smokes dunhill)..

(clue 4 + 5 the owner of the green house drinks coffee so the green house can't be HOUSE 3 because HOUSE 3 drinks milk, therefore green has to HOUSE 4 and white HOUSE 5)

HOUSE 3 remains the only one without a color, therefore it has to be red and British..

so now you have..

HOUSE 1 = Norway, Yellow, Dunhill

HOUSE 2 = Blue, Horse

HOUSE 3 = Milk, Red, Britian

HOUSE 4 = Green, Coffee

HOUSE 5 = White

OK from this information and you can now eliminate others.. (clue) Start with the houses that are nearly complete, figure out what they're missing (ie. HOUSE 1 is pet + drink) and (HOUSE 2 is pet + cigarettes)

Archived