Einstein's riddle

Bris Vegas

I set up a spreadsheet with 5 boxes and 5columns of possible drinks, smokes, pets, colours and nationalities. Then I used the clues to eliminate things as I went along. (could do it on paper but I couldnt be bothered)

The key clues were the neighbours of water, Where the yellow house could be and who smokes blend I think.

I cant really remember the order I did things but I had to go through the clues more than once before I eliminated everything.

Dont forget that where it gives a house colour that has the owenr who has dog etc..... you can eliminate that element form other houses (not just limited to the dogs etc) and you can the house colour from the pet or drink or smoke that that person must have.

I did it that way but on notepad. I got the blue house placed first somehow.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I've done it again using a different way..

So there is the 50/50 way, and 2 more where you can change the order slightly..

Like any of these riddles there is always more than one way of doing them - somtimes that involves trial and improvement.

I use exercises like these in maths lessons - the kids find them really difficult but its a great way of teaching analytical skills

Like any of these riddles there is always more than one way of doing them - somtimes that involves trial and improvement.

I use exercises like these in maths lessons - the kids find them really difficult but its a great way of teaching analytical skills

My head is fried..

I've tried to do it backwards, I know the answers now and I'm trying other ways to eliminate them

I did it using like tables.

Took me like 1hr and 35mins.

That can't be good?

Haha it's better than not being able to do it at all buddy..

Obviously the figure of 98% is misleading due to a big percentage around the world not recieving any sort of decent education.. But of the ones educated, finishing school or college etc..

I imagine only 1 in 4 or 5 can crack it..

it took me about 10 minutes earlier, but I guess being a maths teacher helps

I dont know if its a matter of education or of how peopls brain works

I know people with masters degrees that cant do Sudoku's

I've found over the years that people have different kinds of intelligence

I don't claim to be smart or anything but some things come by me really easily whilst I struggle at others.. Maths has always been a strong point, I'm really good with numbers and equation solving.. And I didn't know until learning Spanish and teaching English that languages are easy for me too.. I learned a good level of Spanish in only 3 months (good enough to have regular conversations)..

On the other hand I studied Economics and Law and the parts that didn't include Maths I was terrible at.. There are many other things too, basic body coordination I'm terrible at..

I know some people who really aren't the brightest but speak 3 or 4 languages, others that come out with top marks at the university who can't do simple mathematics.. Editors and translators who can't spell basic words..

I just think each person has talents and faults and everyone can be intelligent in their own way..

For the maths test.. I like to test against people to see if they can do basic adding, subtracting, multipying and subtracting etc.. using the following test.. I choose 7 numbers between 1-10 (e.g. 1,2,3,5,6,8,9) and I pick a number between 1-500 (e.g. 381) and I tell people they have to use the numbers in a sequence without stopping using basic adding, subtracting etc.. and using only the number once (you don't have to use all the numbers) and to make the overall number (381)

e.g. 381 using 1,2,3,5,6,8,9

5 x 8 = 40

+2 = 42

x 9 = 378

+ 3 = 381

Some people can do it really well and quickly whilst others really struggle.. But I just find that some people have this type of intelligence whilst others don't..

Is maths really relative?

I have a problem with numbers. I can admit it here because none of you know me lol!

I can't even count very well. I've had breakdowns before when I've had to deal with money. Even once just counting change. I somehow got a high grade in English but my maths is non-existent. I can't do simple stuff without getting really frustrated. It's gotten worse as I've got older of course!

I could claim Dyscalculia. But to be honest the truth is I'm just ***** with numbers!!

Is maths really relative?

I have a problem with numbers. I can admit it here because none of you know me lol!

I can't even count very well. I've had breakdowns before when I've had to deal with money. Even once just counting change. I somehow got a high grade in English but my maths is non-existent. I can't do simple stuff without getting really frustrated. It's gotten worse as I've got older of course!

I could claim Dyscalculia. But to be honest the truth is I'm just ***** with numbers!!

It might be discalculia - I'm a Maths teacher and I find it difficult to find information on it.

People that couldn't read well were called thick once - now some are called dyslexic.

I'd say try to practice adding - and if you can't then use a calculator. The only real relevance of Maths depends on what you use it for. If you use it it's relevant if you don't it's not

It might be discalculia - I'm a Maths teacher and I find it difficult to find information on it.

People that couldn't read well were called thick once - now some are called dyslexic.

I'd say try to practice adding - and if you can't then use a calculator. The only real relevance of Maths depends on what you use it for. If you use it it's relevant if you don't it's not

I avoid it like the plague!

Tonight for example we had a takeaway. It cost £16. My missus gave me a £10 and a £5 and probably about £3 in change. What did I pay when I went to pick it up? A £20 not that I had. Lol

She's used to it now. I round things up. Never to less than 50p. Nothing is less than 50p in my world. After that its a £1. Then it's either pound coins or notes.

I don't know if I can believe in dyslexia and such. It's just being thick in that department isn't it. Doesn't bother me to be labeled thick with numbers. It only bothers me when panic sets in!

Never mind. Too old to learn now. My girlfriend tried to teach me once. It ended with a lot of shouting and stress.

Shouldn't of hid from maths at school.

Very true, Bris, that there are so many ways of trying to define intelligence, and none of them are complete or absolute.  The ability to spot a pass, not necessarily to be able to execute the pass, could be considered to be 'intelligence' from a football perspective. The type of test that Mensa use (I thought that I would throw that in for Notts Ram's sake - he was on about his IQ earlier) is very much a combination of language comprehension and pattern recognition (orientation, simple codes etc).

The 'einstein puzzle' is the type of thing that you see over and over again in some of the more 'intelligence-oriented' magazines. I used to create them myself for a magazine many years ago, and they are either the easiest thing in the world to evaluate - or the hardest. It just depends on whether your mind works that way and if you 'know' the established method of doing so. My wife is very good at working out conventional Sudoku puzzles, but I find them tedious and quite boring, because the tried and tested methods are mechanical. 

Anyway, here's an interesting puzzle - and you do NOT have to be incredibly intelligent to work this one out. Clue: it was in an 11+ paper back in 1964 (my 11+ paper - and it basically introduced me to the world of logic puzzles).

Write down the next two rows in the following series...

???

???

Write down the next two rows in the following series...

???

???

I admit it took me a while.. And then after all of that it was slightly obvious.. I focused too much on the first 3 lines had no connection whatsoever.. It was only after I saw the endings 24 then 27 then 30 that it clicked..

So you can spell coke, joke, poke but how do you spell the white of an egg?

Also I like this riddle..

The day before yesterday the boy was fourteen. Next year he will be seventeen. On what day are we speaking and when was the boy's birthday? (It isn't a leap year)

I admit it took me a while.. And then after all of that it was slightly obvious.. I focused too much on the first 3 lines had no connection whatsoever.. It was only after I saw the endings 24 then 27 then 30 that it clicked..

312 and 233 ?

Archived