The 2013 US Masters - Augusta National, Georgia

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant remember his name...an American guy...crying at the press conference the other day, I only caught the last bit. Anyone know what's up?

Oh Tiger! Foolish

Masters 2013: Tiger Woods could be disqualified from Augusta

Tiger Woods could be disqualified from the Masters over claims he took an illegal drop.

The world number one suggested his drop at the 15th was taken "two yards away" from the original position, which should have incurred a two-stroke penalty, one more than his final score.

"He may liable to disqualification from the Masters," said the BBC's golf correspondent Iain Carter.

Woods currently lies three shots behind second-round leader Jason Day.

Play media

Why Tiger Woods could be in trouble

Four-time Masters winner Woods, who at one stage shared the lead with Day, was unlucky to find trouble at the 15th when his approach hit the pin and rolled back into the water.

He returned to where he played the original stroke, eventually carding a six at the par-five hole, but revealed in his post-round news conference that he may have dropped the ball further away than permitted.

"I went down to the drop area, that wasn't going to be a good spot, because obviously it's into the grain," said the 37-year-old.

"And it was a little bit wet. So it was muddy and not a good spot to drop.

"So I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back.

"I tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit - that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back."

However, the United States Golf Association rule 26-1a states that a player must take their drop "as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played".

Carter added: "In Woods' press conference afterwards he said that he found it preferential to take a couple of extra yards back to play that shot.

"If he did take it two yards back he's in breach of the rules. He was therefore liable to an extra penalty, that should have been added on to his scorecard before he signed it last night.

"It wasn't, and therefore he may be liable to disqualification from the Masters and that's what the officials will be discussing this morning."

Past golfing disqualifications

Padraig Harrington: The Irishman lost his place at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship after signing for a wrong score in January 2011.

Mark Roe and Jesper Parnevik: The duo were disqualified at the Open at Sandwich in July 2003 after a mix-up with their scorecards.

Larry Nelson: The American was the last player to be thrown out of the Masters in 1992 because he used non-conforming clubs.

Craig Stadler : He was disqualified for kneeling on a towel after finishing second in the 1987 San Diego Open, as it was considered to be "building a stance".

Ed Oliver: The American was disqualified from the 1940 US Open for teeing off before the scheduled time, after reaching a play-off.

Woods is a 14-time major winner, but has not won one of golf's biggest prizes since the 2008 US Open.

In 2009, revelations about his private life, coupled with a battle against injuries, started a slump that eventually saw the American lose the world number one ranking in October 2010.

He slipped as low as number 58, but returned to the top spot in March after victory at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Woods began his quest for a fifth Green Jacket with an opening round of 70 and had picked up three shots during Friday's second round before he slipped up at the 15th.

He followed that by three-putting the last to drop another shot, ending on three under for the tournament.

If penalised, Woods would not be the first player to face sanctions at this year's Masters.

Chinese 14-year-old Guan Tianlang was given a one-stroke penalty for slow play on Friday.

Archived