Spending will Hughes transfer fee before we sell him?

Rich3478

A thought occurred to me today, I'd imagine Clough, Rush and Hughes have all sat down at some point to discuss how long will is happy to play in the championship. Personally I feel another 18 months would be about right, giving will two full seasons in the championship.

If such a conversation has taken place, could we invest the money in new players maybe twelve months before selling will? £5m on new players plus any other cash raised. This could give us a serious chance at promotion if spent wisely. A new left back, striker/strike force, some experience and power in the side would go a long way to remedying problems we have.

I don't currently think we are a million miles from being a top six side, with three or four quality additions I really think we could challenge towards the top two. Obviously Hughes will continue to improve (the last month or so aside), Hendrick likewise. Shaun barker could return the player he was before, him and Keogh would he as good a partnership as there is in the division.

I realise that this is not a foolproof way forward, anything could happen in the time allotted. However I do see it as a way forward for us, the current scheme of losing £8m a season is obviously not particularly prudent on our part.

This is just an idea, not saying it would work and I'll happily listen if someone can tell me why this isn't a good idea. Some flaws in it are obvious, but really can't see us progressing without a risk or two.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A thought occurred to me today, I'd imagine Clough, Rush and Hughes have all sat down at some point to discuss how long will is happy to play in the championship. Personally I feel another 18 months would be about right, giving will two full seasons in the championship.

If such a conversation has taken place, could we invest the money in new players maybe twelve months before selling will? £5m on new players plus any other cash raised. This could give us a serious chance at promotion if spent wisely. A new left back, striker/strike force, some experience and power in the side would go a long way to remedying problems we have.

I don't currently think we are a million miles from being a top six side, with three or four quality additions I really think we could challenge towards the top two. Obviously Hughes will continue to improve (the last month or so aside), Hendrick likewise. Shaun barker could return the player he was before, him and Keogh would he as good a partnership as there is in the division.

I realise that this is not a foolproof way forward, anything could happen in the time allotted. However I do see it as a way forward for us, the current scheme of losing £8m a season is obviously not particularly prudent on our part.

This is just an idea, not saying it would work and I'll happily listen if someone can tell me why this isn't a good idea. Some flaws in it are obvious, but really can't see us progressing without a risk or two.

Not going to happen.

The owners would not take a gamble on Hughes maintaining his form and staying injury free in my opinion.

Not going to happen.

The owners would not take a gamble on Hughes maintaining his form and staying injury free in my opinion.

No owner in their right mind would take such a chance.

Didn't say I thought it would happen, can't see anything that exciting happening either unfortunately.

If invested in young players they'd hopefully hold there value and be sellable assets, as would Hendrick, Bennett, Brayford, Bryson, Keogh.

Could be done without leaving us in a mire of Pompey proportions, maybe have to regroup for a couple of seasons and start to rebuild again. Just anything rather than this constant treading water we seem to have been experiencing the last three or four years.

Didn't say I thought it would happen, can't see anything that exciting happening either unfortunately.

If invested in young players they'd hopefully hold there value and be sellable assets, as would Hendrick, Bennett, Brayford, Bryson, Keogh.

Could be done without leaving us in a mire of Pompey proportions, maybe have to regroup for a couple of seasons and start to rebuild again. Just anything rather than this constant treading water we seem to have been experiencing the last three or four years.

This big problem is 'what if something goes wrong?' - then you are five big ones down the tube. OK, if you have 5 million to potentially throw away and you are prepared to do so (like the Forest fans still hope Refrigerator Man is), then go for it. If, however, you have made your millions through careful investment, you're not going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

Or even with Cywka.

No one in their right mind will happily post £8m annual losses year after year either.

OK, Brainiac - it goes tits up and that year they are 13 million down the tube.

And there's a subtle difference between posting an 8m loss and losing 8m.

This big problem is 'what if something goes wrong?' - then you are five big ones down the tube. OK, if you have 5 million to potentially throw away and you are prepared to do so (like the Forest fans still hope Refrigerator Man is), then go for it. If, however, you have made your millions through careful investment, you're not going to touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

Or even with Cywka.

Our owners are down 8 big ones as you put it without a realistic chance of promotion each season. Do that for five years, you're down £40m. Is it not a better option to pay £20m straight up and start to make money on the premiership a year later? Parachute payments would eliminate losses each year for the next four. Or we could stay in the premiership and prosper as others have.

And Hughes could possibly want to stay at derby for longer?

OK, Brainiac - it goes tits up and that year they are 13 million down the tube.

And there's a subtle difference between posting an 8m loss and losing 8m.

I don't know all the ins and outs of finances etc. The bottom line is our owners are losing money with this football club, are they happy to do that indefinitely?

Our losses the last two years surely make it blindingly obvious it is nigh on impossible to run a profitable football club in the championship. Our owners are businessmen and have no affiliation with derby county, they bought this club to make money. They are not doing so and are unlikely to do so any time soon.

So achieving promotion seems to be the only viable option for a profitable financial future.

Our owners are down 8 big ones as you put it without a realistic chance of promotion each season. Do that for five years, you're down £40m. Is it not a better option to pay £20m straight up and start to make money on the premiership a year later? Parachute payments would eliminate losses each year for the next four. Or we could stay in the premiership and prosper as others have.

And Hughes could possibly want to stay at derby for longer?

You are just assuming that throwing enough money about guarantees promotion. Are you sure that 20 million is enough? Wouldn't it be safer to make that 30 million - or even 40? After all, Blackburn shelled out 8.5m on just one player. Sure, they made mincemeat out of Derby last week, but at the moment they are also-rans in the Championship. Meanwhile Watford, with the facility to be able to draw upon a whole host of highly skilled continental loanees, just got gubbed 2-0 by Bristol City.

Guarantee schmarantee.

Am I the only one that wants us to buy a LB and a goalscorer in the summer.

Keep Will and get promoted. I think it is feasible. (dreaming of course but I think it is possible)

Legzdins

Brayford Barker Keogh LB

Coutts Hendrick Hughes Ward

GS Sammon

Bench:

Fielding

Freeman

Jacobs

Robinson

Obrien

Bennett

That team would merit a top 8 position in my opinion. Imagine the combo of Coutts and Brayford and double it on the left someone with Ward. And then someone like Billy sharp playing off of Hughes and Coutts and Ward with Sammon up top playing WITH someone else.

Everyone is gonna comment like dream on etc but we would have one of the best defences in the league (if Barker is still the mighty Barks). Brayford and Keogh are on a par with any in my opinion then a quality left back would take so much pressure off the LCB and LM. Not disrespect to Roberts who has been consistently championship average which is good to have. I have high hopes already for some reason but I can see my dream being ruined when Roberts gets an extra year on his contract and we dont sign a striker and Barker cant play football anymore. Anyhow got to be optimistic. This season aint over yet as I have said 9 points out the next possible 12 which is doable will put us up there, not in the playoffs but enough to mount a charge and give fans some hope.

You are just assuming that throwing enough money about guarantees promotion. Are you sure that 20 million is enough? Wouldn't it be safer to make that 30 million - or even 40? After all, Blackburn shelled out 8.5m on just one player. Sure, they made mincemeat out of Derby last week, but at the moment they are also-rans in the Championship. Meanwhile Watford, with the facility to be able to draw upon a whole host of highly skilled continental loanees, just got gubbed 2-0 by Bristol City.

Guarantee schmarantee.

Of course it's not guaranteed, that's what makes football what it is. Certainly improve our chances though wouldn't it?

The closest thing to a guarantee at the moment for me is derby finishing between 10th and 16th. Doesn't really inspire you to find £400 for a season ticket does it? The feelings of discontent will continue to grow and grow, attendances drop etc.

Am I the only one that wants us to buy a LB and a goalscorer in the summer.

Keep Will and get promoted. I think it is feasible. (dreaming of course but I think it is possible)

Legzdins

Brayford Barker Keogh LB

Coutts Hendrick Hughes Ward

GS Sammon

Bench:

Fielding

Freeman

Jacobs

Robinson

Obrien

Bennett

That team would merit a top 8 position in my opinion. Imagine the combo of Coutts and Brayford and double it on the left someone with Ward. And then someone like Billy sharp playing off of Hughes and Coutts and Ward with Sammon up top playing WITH someone else.

Everyone is gonna comment like dream on etc but we would have one of the best defences in the league (if Barker is still the mighty Barks). Brayford and Keogh are on a par with any in my opinion then a quality left back would take so much pressure off the LCB and LM. Not disrespect to Roberts who has been consistently championship average which is good to have. I have high hopes already for some reason but I can see my dream being ruined when Roberts gets an extra year on his contract and we dont sign a striker and Barker cant play football anymore. Anyhow got to be optimistic. This season aint over yet as I have said 9 points out the next possible 12 which is doable will put us up there, not in the playoffs but enough to mount a charge and give fans some hope.

Like yourself, I don't think we're miles away. Any investment would improve chances and could be done reasonably sensibly without endangering the long term future of the club.

£400 a ticket?

I'm 60 in 3 weeks. Mine are half price next season. Woo hoo!!!

Attendances MIGHT drop, but for those of us who had a season ticket before Brian Clough arrived, being in the prem and seeing a bunch of fairweather supporters turn up (many of whom will claim to have not missed a game for about 30 years if ever a cup final comes along and demand for tickets go through the roof) isn't really that important.

£400 a ticket?

Attendances MIGHT drop, but for those of us who had a season ticket before Brian Clough arrived, being in the prem and seeing a bunch of fairweather supporters turn up (many of whom will claim to have not missed a game for about 30 years if ever a cup final comes along and demand for tickets go through the roof) isn't really that important.

Happy Birthday!

Like yourself, I don't think we're miles away. Any investment would improve chances and could be done reasonably sensibly without endangering the long term future of the club.

Our team would be top 8 with Billy Sharp and a left back. I seriously think that is the difference as an honest opinion! but will we have the funds to accomodate 2 top earners and the transfer fees associated, well we definitely have the funds but they probably will not be available.

£400 a ticket?

I'll still go regardless of the division we're in, have done all my life. Personally I want derby to compete at the highest level possible, being a sustainable club would be nice as well. Losing money each season cannot be seen as a feasible future surely?

Personally I want pride park full every week as well, people have reasons for going/not going. I don't regard people who come occasionally as fair weather. Don't see how people have a right to claim to be bigger fans than others. More to life than football.

Guessing we'll have to agree to disagree on this, thanks for your opinions though. We all have derby at heart, and ultimately just want success for them. Only joined recently and good to speak with people so passionate about the rams.

Archived