Mark Burton: "Brian Clough would be turning in his grave" at Derby style of play

CumbrianRam

The 3rd goal on Saturday was picked up in the final third? What on earth? I've just watched it, Keogh blocks King's shot in our area, Jacobs picks it up, passes it to Coutts, to Brayford, back to Coutts, to Hughes, back to Jacobs who rolls it across the six yard area onto Tyson's toe. All across the floor, to me a perfect team goal.

I don't know why I'm bothering getting involved with this. If we can score goals like this, who cares if we play the ball from the back, or from midfield, or wherever?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a football fan.. And then I'm a Derby fan.. I'm also a Barca, Jaguares and Spain fan..

Why would I waste my time going on every football forum in England to say the same thing.. When most of it is obvious?

Being a football fan at least gives me a realistic approach to Derby.. The amount of tripe and bumlicking that goes on on here with Derby is laughable.. Trying to convince yourselves that we're something that we're clearly not is embarassing and people actually laugh at us..

If this thread got doing the rounds on other NPC boards they'd all be wetting themselves at the amount of delusional comments coming from fans here.. But we're not the same, I'm sure Palace fans genuinely believe Zaha is the next Ronaldo and Forest fans genuinely believe they'll be a global brand soon..

There are many posters, myself included, that actually contribute well to these boards as we offer abit of realism.. I don't understand why we get shot down and called WUMs just for being realistic.

Because we only have one love DERBY COUNTY whereas as you have many. We all care about derby and talk about positives and negatives. You being a fan of every team in the world couldn't care less all you and sideshowbob do is insult the club and disown any other opinion on a forum for derby fans. Not fans of football in general. You are a WUM because all you do is insult the club players manager and board and at times people on this forum, calling me brain dead springs to mind. There is a reason why you start nearly every argument on this forum.

So if we get given loads of space, it doesn't count?

How about the winner on Saturday? I suppose that was hoofball?

The winner on Saturday was won in the final 3rd and then finished off with a passing move..

This is exactly why you're confusing the difference.. A passing side builds from the back, uses the midfield to protect and to supply the forwards.. Every player is used and comfortable in retaining possession and building attacks.. The goalkeepers rarely hoof it, the defenders offer themselves to recieve the ball etc..

That is a passing side..

Derby is a percentage side.. We punt it long, recieve the 2nd ball and then pass it in the final 3rd.. They are majorly different.. Sam Allardyces sides have done this for years.. We are no different..

People say Hughes and Bryson are passing players etc.. They pick up the scraps,l they never play within themselves and drop back to recieve the ball from the defenders and build attacks from deep inside their own halves.. They recieve the 2nd balls and pass it.. It's completely different.

People are confusing the two here.. Derby can play neat triangles etc.. in the final 3rd.. But we don't build from the back like a passing team does.. We don't..

Bris you do talk some ****.

Yeh you're right.. After re-reading my posts I think I'm wrong..

Derby do play passing football.. So do Greece, Bochum, Stoke, All of Sam Allardyces teams, The Wimbledon of old, Port Vale and all of Mickey Adams teams..

Martin Allen is also a massive believer in passing football..

Passing football = pass the ball to a team-mate.. Even if a passing move only lasts 2 passes..

I was wrong.. You were right.

Derby do play passing football.. So do Greece, Bochum, Stoke, All of Sam Allardyces teams, The Wimbledon of old, Port Vale and all of Mickey Adams teams..

Passing football = pass the ball to a team-mate.. Even if a passing move only lasts 2 passes..

Glad to see we agree

Yes you are wrong. Watch the winning goal from Saturday again, admit you are wrong and you may retain some credibility. Keep on saying we won the ball in the final third and it is you that will show yourself to be delusional.

The winner on Saturday was won in the final 3rd and then finished off with a passing move..

This is exactly why you're confusing the difference.. A passing side builds from the back, uses the midfield to protect and to supply the forwards.. Every player is used and comfortable in retaining possession and building attacks.. The goalkeepers rarely hoof it, the defenders offer themselves to recieve the ball etc..

That is a passing side..

Derby is a percentage side.. We punt it long, recieve the 2nd ball and then pass it in the final 3rd.. They are majorly different.. Sam Allardyces sides have done this for years.. We are no different..

People say Hughes and Bryson are passing players etc.. They pick up the scraps,l they never play within themselves and drop back to recieve the ball from the defenders and build attacks from deep inside their own halves.. They recieve the 2nd balls and pass it.. It's completely different.

People are confusing the two here.. Derby can play neat triangles etc.. in the final 3rd.. But we don't build from the back like a passing team does.. We don't..

I agree we're not a 'passing' side as some on here like to claim, yes we play some nice football at times but so do all sides. We dont really have an exact style and who has the ball at the back often decides how the following play will go. For example, Roberts often punts it long, that's all he can do. But then Brayford and Coutts do look to link up and we do pass the ball from the back down the right hand side. Buxton and Keogh are a mix of giving it to Hughes or chucking it up to Sammon.

We're not an out and out hit it long every single time like you're making out though, Hughes often takes the ball off the centre backs and plays a forward pass.

I do see what you're saying, we're not a passing side compared to teams like Swansea/Brighton/Any Spanish side who will pass from the back a large percentage of the time, but we're not as extreme as you're making out, we're not a Stoke or West Ham. We're in between the two, like most average English sides.

Yes you are wrong. Watch the winning goal from Saturday again, admit you are wrong and you may retain some credibility. Keep on saying we won the ball in the final third and it is you that will show yourself to be delusional.

Brum are a passing side also.. Their 2nd goal just illustrated how good a passing side they are and just how effective their football is..

I'm a football fan.. And then I'm a Derby fan.. I'm also a Barca, Jaguares and Spain fan..

Why would I waste my time going on every football forum in England to say the same thing.. When most of it is obvious?

Being a football fan at least gives me a realistic approach to Derby.. The amount of tripe and bumlicking that goes on on here with Derby is laughable.. Trying to convince yourselves that we're something that we're clearly not is embarassing and people actually laugh at us..

If this thread got doing the rounds on other NPC boards they'd all be wetting themselves at the amount of delusional comments coming from fans here.. But we're not the same, I'm sure Palace fans genuinely believe Zaha is the next Ronaldo and Forest fans genuinely believe they'll be a global brand soon..

There are many posters, myself included, that actually contribute well to these boards as we offer abit of realism.. I don't understand why we get shot down and called WUMs just for being realistic.

Well I'm not cloughs biggest fan, I don't think we play out and out football, and don't think our little will is quite at prem standards yet, however sitting in the stands I can see at times we do play football on the floor, several times through the midfield as well, when theo was put through by Bryson and prior that Hughes for example.

You however seem to post the same thing over and over again though in an attempt to get as many replies/ bites as possible, last year we had goals after 75 mins, this year hoofball, next you will be trying to convince us boycie is good looking......

Brum are a passing side also.. Their 2nd goal just illustrated how good a passing side they are and just how effective their football is..

Your inability to admit you are wrong in something just makes you even more annoying to everyone.

Have you watched our third goal against Birmingham yet? If it was Messi scoring it you would still be cleaning your jizz of the curtains now.

The one against 10 men where we won the ball in midfield and constructed a move with acres of space to reach their penalty box?

Yes I saw it, it was the only passing move in 90 mins done by 2 poor sides in one of the most woeful matches I had ever seen.. I put had because the Sunderland-Stoke game topped that.

Its not always easy against 10 men...don't you remember Barcelona v Chelsea last season?

Your inability to admit you are wrong in something just makes you even more annoying to everyone.

Have you watched our third goal against Birmingham yet? If it was Messi scoring it you would still be cleaning your jizz of curtains now.

Leave curtains out of this! Poor man.

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I hate the perception that Barca are the best team in history, ever, since the beginning of time. It's simply not true. Puskas and di stefano at real along with cruyff's Ajax and beckenbaurs Munich side might have something to say about it. U just can't truly state this with true certainty (that's aimed at u bris).

Back on topic, I think our 3rd goal was an excellent example of passing football. I'm not going to say we play like barca, arsenal or even Swansea or brighton but we are playing far better than we have been recently.

And finally I didn't read all this thread cos I got bored of the tooing and froeing of long arguments and over inflated opinions presented as the only way to think (again, aimed at u bris)

And you forget an Arsenal team that went a whole season unbeaten

I think we played some excellent stuff against Birmingham, though that was helped by the fact that Birmingham weren't at the races for 45 minutes and i'm wagering the term 'excellent' against performances against the likes of Forest.

We can clearly play some very effective passing football, why we don't do so away from home and revert to kicking it to Sammon is anyones guess, i'd rather lose trying to play the same as we do at home than kick and hope because we daren't try and impose ourselves away (for whatever reason).

Against Birmingham we were very pleasing on the eye, long may it continue. I spotted only one or two long balls that had no real purpose, the only other times were when Hughes was lobbing the ball over the right-back for Jacobs to get a running start at him, which doesn't seem like hoofball to me, we're certainly not pinging it straight down the pitch and building solely from Sammon's head atleast.

We play some passing football when we can and resort to percentages when we can't control a game. And even then we're nowhere near as bad as West Ham etc.

Have you watched our third goal against Birmingham yet? If it was Messi scoring it you would still be cleaning your jizz of the curtains now.

I've seen it many times.. Coutts picks up a lose ball in CM, he has no-one around him or even bothering to challenge him.. He passes to Brayford, who casually runs to the edge of the box without a single challenge, who then gives it back to Coutts whose literally standing on 25 yards from goal without a single player near him, he lays it off sideways to Hughes who has again absolutely no-one near him and has all the time in the world to play a beatifully weighted pass to Jacobs on the left who is inside the area, free with no-one close to him to pick out an easy pass for either Tyson or Sammon who were both 6 yards from goal with no defenders near them to score..

That's not passing football.. That's 6 passes and simply one of the worst piece of defending I've ever seen at this level..

Oh look.. We're the new Swansea of the NPC.. We play better passing football than Brighton.

Pull the other one guys.. You're not fooling anyone..

I know we can play passing football.. So can Stoke.. But we don't play the ball from the back, we don't build attacks and we don't retain possession.. So we're not a passing team.. We're full of percentages.. Accept it.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with being a percentage team.. It works for Sam Allardyce, it can work for us.. Many teams get promoted doing it.. Billy Davies is the king of it..

But it sure aint pretty.

That is a passing side..

So if the play doesn't start in from the back, is it a good goal?

We've played some good football, and scored some good goals this season. Some of it might fall under your fabricated category of 'passing teams', some maybe 'percentage football', but we've done ok and played some decent stuff.

The original argument was that someone from Barnsley said we smack it out to the flanks and hope for the best, which I don't agree with.

Archived