Online poker

SillyBilly

Anyone play?

Just recently been getting really p*ssed off with the "strategy" of some players. Its hard to find a table or tourny at the moment without some idiot going all in on the first hand regardless of strength of hand. It then distorts the whole balance of the game.

I like to play poker intelligently, play the odds, bluff smartly and be unpredictable. The game is reduced to pot luck when players just go all in or bet ridiculously on poor hands. They never get anywhere and end up just gift wrapping the game to a half decent player who finds himself chip leader early on.

So irritating, I wish they'd f**k off and play blackjack.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been playing on and off for the last few years, mainly on pokerstars.

Why would those players p*ss you off? They should be the players you love, idiots, without them how else would you hope to make money? Playing against people of a similar or better standard would just make it more difficult to win.

If you get your money in good and someone else sucks out on you, what more can you do? If you consistently get your money in good then you'll win more pots than you lose.

I mainly grind on the lower stakes Sit & Go's on stars, lots of fish, mostly make the final tables but still need to work on my mid to late sng play.

Where do you play SB? Type of games?

I've been playing on and off for the last few years, mainly on pokerstars.

Why would those players p*ss you off? They should be the players you love, idiots, without them how else would you hope to make money? Playing against people of a similar or better standard would just make it more difficult to win.

If you get your money in good and someone else sucks out on you, what more can you do? If you consistently get your money in good then you'll win more pots than you lose.

I mainly grind on the lower stakes Sit & Go's on stars, lots of fish, mostly make the final tables but still need to work on my mid to late sng play.

Where do you play SB? Type of games?

Yeah, I do follow and I agree. Just posted in the heat of the moment, was annoyed after a few heavy losses where I've had decent hands, a nob has gone all in and I've challenged and lost. Can't help but feeling cheated when you call with pocket queens (just prior to my post yesterday) and you lose to someone who has absolutely nothing pre-flop but flukes a three-of-a-kind of low value. I tend to sit tight in the opening exchanges, weigh up the comp and wait for the fishes to run out of luck before coming to the fore. Made some bad calls recently where my normal game has gone and I've called where I should perhaps have been more cautious. You get those days in poker.

Also tend to play low stakes SnG where I tend to do well. Build a kitty up and then have a few cracks on the shootout to try and win the big money. Like you, I can make the final table but I never feel like I bring my "A" game at the right time, pressure gets to me when you start thinking of the jackpot! I've worked my way into some very high value seats in the past but never been good enough to step it up. I play on 888 poker at the moment. I might check out pokestars, UK based competition. I'll let you know if I sign up, I'm off work at the min with an injury so playing a fair bit atm.

I used to play for a solid 12 - 16 hours a day sometimes, maybe more if I ran deep in a tourney. Back in the days of Full Tilt I was running quite well and made a decent profit. If you've been playing poker for a while now I guess you know the place went bust and 'folded' all our winnings.

Played on Pokerstars for a bit but found it difficult to make a profit, started off quite well but then the player pool changed because of more traffic and I was breaking even mostly. Couldn't be arsed so withdrew and bought lots of fastfood.

Tried a few others since like 888 and PKR, I like 888 but sometimes it's frustrating because of those any two donks. Won a couple of $20 tourneys there for some good cash ($1200), I quite like PKR aswell for the same reason because the player pools are similar but no good wins there yet. Mostly British aswell, which, lets face it is a good thing. British players are absolute donks.

I only play recreationally now, just can't find the motivation.

I used to play for a solid 12 - 16 hours a day sometimes, maybe more if I ran deep in a tourney. Back in the days of Full Tilt I was running quite well and made a decent profit. If you've been playing poker for a while now I guess you know the place went bust and 'folded' all our winnings.

Played on Pokerstars for a bit but found it difficult to make a profit, started off quite well but then the player pool changed because of more traffic and I was breaking even mostly. Couldn't be arsed so withdrew and bought lots of fastfood.

Tried a few others since like 888 and PKR, I like 888 but sometimes it's frustrating because of those any two donks. Won a couple of $20 tourneys there for some good cash ($1200), I quite like PKR aswell for the same reason because the player pools are similar but no good wins there yet. Mostly British aswell, which, lets face it is a good thing. British players are absolute donks.

I only play recreationally now, just can't find the motivation.

Don't know how you managed those hours while still being sharp?! I find after a short time my game starts suffering as I lose concentration. I often take a break between progressing from tables and find I do better.

The problem with playing novices is you can't read them simply because they don't know how to play the game. That doesn't mean they're not capable of eating into your stack with some lucky breaks. You have to be disciplined to not be sucked into their game playing. As EKR says, they don't last long playing like that.

So you not playing for money anymore?

The year before i left for uni (2010), kind of like BNW, i played for hours a day, done quite well on the low stakes sngs and picked up a couple of tournament wins for fair amounts. Barely played since then but started following and playing poker more of late, anyone follow the main event this year? Got down to the November 9 last Saturday.

More recently, like SB said, i've tried to try and take down a big win which i shouldnt have been doing really, need to build up more of a bankroll than can cover the variance that poker has. Im quite confident that playing on stars on the $3.50, $7 and $15 sngs i can turn a profit if i've got the bankroll to cover bad runs.

Im gunna buy a couple of books to try and step up my game , i've read Online Ace by Scott Fischman which was a good read, learnt a few new things but a lot of it I already knew. Still chasing the dream of becoming a pro gambler, i've figured that poker would have to be my main focus.

I do like Pokerstars but i've never really played on anything else, played a bit of Fulltilt before they bust and i think the standard/type of player was quite similar. I'd recommend stars, massive choice of games to choose from, i like watching the pro's/big name players when they're online which you can do. Trying to qualify for the big sunday tournaments, or entering them if you can afford it, is a good challenge and can result in a massive pay day if you can run good in them.

Don't know how you managed those hours while still being sharp?! I find after a short time my game starts suffering as I lose concentration. I often take a break between progressing from tables and find I do better.

The problem with playing novices is you can't read them simply because they don't know how to play the game. That doesn't mean they're not capable of eating into your stack with some lucky breaks. You have to be disciplined to not be sucked into their game playing. As EKR says, they don't last long playing like that.

So you not playing for money anymore?

I do sometimes, just that studying the game and playing took up the majority of my day, lost motivation to carry on. Pretty draining at times, especially when you're card dead. I remember I was short stacked for about 6 hours in the old Daily Dollar tournaments, came about 28th though which was a decent finish but quite boring to sit through.

Mostly played SnG's to supplement my tourney games which in turn is frustrating once you get used to the mechanics and playing regs all the time, it's quite a rigid game.

Might get back into it one day but it's quite the commitment.

Isn't poker a game of skill though? despite the cards....

Immense skill and intelligence required to be any good. The best players will play the odds perfectly.

Haven't played for a while and was wondering if you can play via iPad?

Presume so, I can play on my android. Be quite a nice set up on an ipad I think.

Any more poker players on here? On stars you can set up a home game, with enough interest we could get a dcfcfans home game going each week, just a friendly amount. Not sure what/if other sites you can do that on?

Doesn't look like it but I'd throw my hat in the ring. Down your neck of the woods tomoz, catching the 4.55am train down this morn, 2-3 hour meeting then all the way back. Dreading it.

Doesn't look like it but I'd throw my hat in the ring. Down your neck of the woods tomoz, catching the 4.55am train down this morn, 2-3 hour meeting then all the way back. Dreading it.

Sweet, where abouts you off to?

Not much of a poker interest of here, let me know if you start playing on Stars and we could enter a few of the same sngs/tourneys.

Sweet, where abouts you off to?

Not much of a poker interest of here, let me know if you start playing on Stars and we could enter a few of the same sngs/tourneys.

Dungeness Nuclear Power Plant so not too scenic, I'm hoping I won't be kept too long though. I will do.

Ye that's a bit of a treck from Derby, that's even a bit of a treck from where I am further up the coast. Right out in sticks that place i think? Wouldnt even know where the nearest train station is, Rye?

Yeah, right trek, Appledore station, Rye is just before it. I'm down again 28th-29th but I'll stop in a hotel this time.

Archived