Difference between the signings Maguire and Jacobs?

I did a bit of research and i found this -

Maguire

Clough said: "Chris is an exciting talent who has great potential to improve further.

"He is a creative player and someone who can bring a spark to the team.

"He's still young and will develop and improve, but having played in the Scottish Premier League and made his international debut he already has the quality to be competitive in our squad and team."

Jacobs

"He's a young lad, but already he has plenty of first-team experience at Northampton behind him and we feel he has plenty of potential, which we believe he can fulfil it in a Derby County shirt.

"Michael fits in well with the sort of player we're looking to bring into the Club, and we're delighted he's chosen Derby County after hearing what we've had to say and having a look around the Club.

"We've had to be patient in getting this deal done, but we're very happy to get it over the line."

Yes i know, for all we know Maguire could have had awful attitude problems and they may be different players and their work rates may differ but their signings do sound similar.

Although, comments such as this "We will need to give him time to settle as well, which is important as he comes to terms with his new surroundings but we believe he will adapt quickly and he's an exciting talent". Do make me believe he may have learnt from his mistakes and may give the lad plenty on time to settle in

Myself, i think he's going to be a cracking addition, i really hope it works out for the lad, looks like we've signed a gem, i just hope the pride park faithful don't expect to much too soon.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree in a way, but I do think Jacobs is much more highly rated then Maguire

Why? One has played international football be it Scotland one hasn't played for his country at any age group. The Scottish Prem isn't great but it's seen as a lot higher level than league 1.

I'd never heard of Maguire before we were interested. I heard about Jacobs years ago. Standard may be better but it doesn't mean the player is. Loads of championship teams and possibily a few prem weren't interested in Maguire really...

I'd never heard of Maguire before we were interested. I heard about Jacobs years ago. Standard may be better but it doesn't mean the player is. Loads of championship teams and possibily a few prem weren't interested in Maguire really...

You had heard about jacobs years ago from whom? There was no prem teams interested in him as he wouldnt be here if they were, also we know the champ clubs were Peterborough as Charlton not exactly loads.

This signing is a gamble that we need desperately to work out! no doubt about it, a lot of pressure for a 20 year old and he wont have time to break in.

We're in a state at the minute were we need him to come in and perform straight away, same with a few other young players because we don't have the established pros here, we're as young and raw as they come!!

This signing is a gamble that we need desperately to work out! no doubt about it, a lot of pressure for a 20 year old and he wont have time to break in.

Is that really the case? We played all of last season without a descent right winger. I don't think he has to be actually that impressive to improve us already.

Is that really the case? We played all of last season without a descent right winger. I don't think he has to be actually that impressive to improve us already.

Improve us from a mid table team, probably not.

However sitting on the other side of the fence, we will probably start our season off without 3 of our top players from last season, and my own personal view is that Im bored of being a mid table team, and that any player that comes in should enable us to be pushing towards a top 6 finish.

Jacobs hasnt got the proven pedigree yet, and is therefore a gamble, and its highly possible that we will only have very few players that have played at Champ level regularly, not a problem if they are good enough and can maintain this, but we have seen what happens when a young team gets stuck is a losing rot, its difficult to get out of.

However sitting on the other side of the fence, we will probably start our season off without 3 of our top players from last season, and my own personal view is that Im bored of being a mid table team, and that any player that comes in should enable us to be pushing towards a top 6 finish.

Hopefully they will have been replaced by as good, or better.

Three though? I guess you're talking of Davies & Shackell (neither of which have gone yet). Who's the 3rd?

I think the main difference is age Jacobs is 20 and has never been anyway near this level before and Maguire was 23 (nearing the end of his development), had played for Scotland and obviously expected to walk into the team, were as Jacobs understands he has to prove himself before he commands a place.

All my personal opinion.

I'm sceptical about this one.

He's a young lad obviously not short on confidence. Nothing wrong with that, but if he over does it Clough will be the first to chop him down - a bit like Maguire.

Still, looks a good talent from the few things I've seen of him.

Hopefully they will have been replaced by as good, or better.

Three though? I guess you're talking of Davies & Shackell (neither of which have gone yet). Who's the 3rd?

Barker was the other one

Archived