For the ode school. Brian Clough...

blackNwhites

...and a look towards the first season back in the top flight.

You've probably seen it before to be honest, but know a lot of ya appreciate reminscing those good times.

Only watched a few minutes so far and the confident, eloquent way of the man is very absorbing. Discussing a few members in the squad.

Just said what they meant in them days, no prancing around the issue!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian hated losing, I remember him saying that he could cry when he thinks how they were knocked out of the cup by QPR. However, he always made it clear that the league championship was the main thing worth winning. I recall many times at the BBG when, if they were losing at HT they would dash out on to the pitch and score early in the second half. That HT talk must have been a real experience! Talk about a motivator. Still miss our Brian.

Here's some quotes from BC, taken from Davs copy of Clough Confidential.

" I was just too risky for the England job. The FA wanted Ron Greenwood - a good guy, safe, but boring. They wanted the whole thing kept cosy. They wanted to take their wives on overseas trips, travelling first class and staying in nice hotels. They wanted to wear the England badge on their blazer. Bugger the World Cup".

" Robert Maxwell had an ego bigger than his yacht - perhaps that's why he fell overboard".

"When I was admitted to the heart unit somebody sent me a get well message that said they didn't even know that I had one".

What a guy! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Brian hated losing, I remember him saying that he could cry when he thinks how they were knocked out of the cup by QPR. However, he always made it clear that the league championship was the main thing worth winning. I recall many times at the BBG when, if they were losing at HT they would dash out on to the pitch and score early in the second half. That HT talk must have been a real experience! Talk about a motivator. Still miss our Brian.

Yeah he mentioned that QPR defeat in the clip, quite animated.

Something else I've noticed in Nigel is that Derby always come out in the second half more motivated, quite often we're the better team in the second half. We're not quite the finished article yet so often we're fighting against the tide, but it'll come.

Here's some quotes from BC, taken from Davs copy of Clough Confidential.

" I was just too risky for the England job. The FA wanted Ron Greenwood - a good guy, safe, but boring. They wanted the whole thing kept cosy. They wanted to take their wives on overseas trips, travelling first class and staying in nice hotels. They wanted to wear the England badge on their blazer. Bugger the World Cup".

" Robert Maxwell had an ego bigger than his yacht - perhaps that's why he fell overboard".

"When I was admitted to the heart unit somebody sent me a get well message that said they didn't even know that I had one".

What a guy! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Love those last two!

That's a great watch! I was born that season (on the day of the record crowd 5-0 win over Spurs) so of course I don't remember Clough as Derby manager but it makes you think how did we ever get to the point when he had to leave!

Archived