Prejudice & Proud

derbydan

Anyone watch this on channel 4 the other night??

Was really good & opened my eyes up abit about common misconceptions I had I always thought the EDL were a racist group much like the BNP ect but they aren't & I did find my self agreeing with alot of the policies the EDL were promoting.

I just thought the lad that runs the EDL undid alot of the good work he had done by doing stupid stuff like throwing a bottle at the cops when he was pissed ect

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting, but he has created a monster of an organisation which has certainly been infiltrated by racist factions. He had a simple aim which is now not clear. I understand his initial concerns, however it doesn't justify the campaign the man is running as head of an organisation with very dodgy elements to it. I wouldn't call him intelligent, but he can appear that way in the right setting. It would be better if he disbanded and traced back his steps to fighting the group in Luton who believe in an idiology. Most muslims I know are peaceful people who want to allow everyone to live how they wish, not the stereotype which is portrayed as fanatical, rabid, anti british. I do know some muslims who do genuinely believe in an idiology however they are a minority and that needs to be portrayed more in the British press.

Just finished watching it on 4oD and was about to make a thread.

Agree with you Dan, I find myself agreeing with a lot of the policies and was quite liking Robinson as a person until he just got boozed up and start talking rubbish on camera and throwing stuff at the Five-O

Don't think he really helped his cause in the end.

It is a bit scary though, the growing number of Islamic extremists in this country. No idea what things are gonna be like in years to come.

Islamic extremeism is still extremely small in this country, what people don't realise is that 5 people who blow themselves up can have a massive effect while that group still being small and a minority at that. The population of Britain has 3% believing in Islam, so we have around 1.8 million muslims give or take a few hundred thousand. Mr Choudries group numbers rarely get into the hundreds. Even other extremeist muslims are in the extreme minority of muslims who practise in the country, this is the reason why they are notourious.

Islamic extremeism is still extremely small in this country, what people don't realise is that 5 people who blow themselves up can have a massive effect while that group still being small and a minority at that. The population of Britain has 3% believing in Islam, so we have around 1.8 million muslims give or take a few hundred thousand. Mr Choudries group numbers rarely get into the hundreds. Even other extremeist muslims are in the extreme minority of muslims who practise in the country, this is the reason why they are notourious.

Would you be comfortable in taking a stroll through a ghetto of Luton, Birmingham, Manchester, Bradford, Leeds, Leicester, Burnley, Blackburn, London etc. I'd be terrified of getting battered... because of the colour of my skin. It goes a lot further than a small minority. The problem lies within (and not with) all communities, not just muslims and the government needs to do more instead of lying and pretending about how harmonious things are on the street. Yes, in affluent suburbs and working towns all communities live side-by-side but the majority live in disenfranchised, segregated warzones in inner cities with nothing to do but lay blame and fester resentment. The government needs to cut the bulls**t stop blaming white angry skinheads or radical muslims and sort the mess out. I personally think racism has never been so rife in this country, its just simmering below the surface and the sooner we accept the problem we can go about addressing it. I look at London these days with its boroughs divided behind rich and poor, black and white, Jewish and Sikh, Pakistani and Indian, Polish and Latvian and I'm sure this isn't the image of an equal, fair and above all "multi-cultural" society that we were sold. We've created insular, hostile countries within an country. Quite frankly its a little tiring to hear of middle-class commentators and out-of-touch politicians in the comfort of their 95%+ white communities saying how proud they are of multi-cultural Britain.

It is true that not everyone has integrated I don't deny it. As a country we aren't fully integrated and communities are seperate rather than together. However, the EDL often make assertions about muslims which just inflame the situation and make people angry. Their marches achieve nothing but bring the tension up to boil and release in an outburst of violence and anger. I would rather we debate and take appropriate action on what needs to be done to tackle these serious and even possibly growing problems within the country.

I think it also showed how afraid the authorities are of doing something to the muslims when they were protesting against the soldiers nothing was done to them even though they were being vile, then when the EDL lads turned up to to protest & have the extremist group that were protesting against the soldiers they were all stopped, had their details taken, searched & some arrested

Muslims should really live by sharia law and most want it according to opinion polls, moderate or extreme. Islam is still in the stone age.

please quote the opinion polls. I have never seen an opinion poll which had a credible sample state this.

Extremism, whether left or right, is always popular when jobs and money are scarce. Look back through history and you will see that the far right come to the front when people are denied the basics of jobs, housing etc.

Its never the governments fault. "If it weren't for immigrants we'd be alright................", this sort of propaganda is the only way for elected governments to shift the blame for the pisspoor way they have decided to run the country.

Bombardier trains comes to mind. Our elected government could have been patriotic and give the contract to an english based company. It chose not to.

The EDL is summat to do for the lads who are banned from football.........

Been watching videos on atheism for the last few days. People like Hawkins, the late Hitchens and even Gervais now. Not gonna say much else, but just have a look into it.

who me? The late Hitchens, Hawkins, Dawkins, Sam Harris are all very good on the question of religion. Never watched Gervais as I think he is a second rate comedy writer 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

I have no time for islam. I was fuming when my kids told me they learn about muslims in R.E but rarely learn about christianity.

I know i may sound old fashioned but if they dont like it in this country they can go to where islam practices are the norm.

When did I say I was on about you?

You didn't it was just below my post and I sometimes never know if it is below mine if someone is responding if it isn't made clear 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> my bad 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived