Rams promoted to the Premier league

Day

Derby County Ladies crowned a memorable season on Tuesday night by winning promotion to the FA Women's Premier League for the first time.

The Rams will play in the Northern Division - the same level as FA Women's Cup finalists Sunderland - for the first time after being crowned champions of the Midland Combination.

They did so in dramatic style with a 4-2 victory over struggling Crewe Alexandra in front of a Pride Park Stadium crowd on Tuesday night.

Crewe opened the scoring but goals from Lauren Steadman and Jemma Douglas turned things around, only for the visitors to level it up again before half-time.

After the break the Rams began to take control and they were quickly back in front through a penalty by skipper Leanne Beet.

Beet addded her second ten minutes from time to make it comfortable and leave manager Steve Hall reflecting on a "fantastic achievement".

"After getting beat by Wolves last week it meant tonight was really nerve-racking with so much hinging on the game but the players were brilliant to finally get over the finishing line," he said.

"It has been a long time coming and to finally get the win we needed at Pride Park Stadium as well makes it even more special."

Derby also reached the last-16 of the FA Women's Cup, where they were beaten by eventual semi-finalists Chelsea, and can clinch the double with the forthcoming final of the Midland Combination League Cup.

[url=http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ladies/0,,10270~1649590,00.html]http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ladie...1649590,00.html

Well it is polite to let ladies go first I guess?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow congratulations girls. I think this is terrific news, this raises the profile of Derby County so much. I think one of those girls was in the year below me at school! She could be playing for England next!

We might end Arsenal's dominance of women's football.

Archived