Christmas Dinner or a Big Mac?

ladyram

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really adding too much there YR apart from stating the blindingly obvious. Clearly McDonald's consumers can't go a day without getting their fix by the sounds of it...

silly it's because this issue is blindingly obvious, it isn't that people can't go a day without mcdonalds, however there are long journeys made and people still have to work. If they want sustenance in the form of a cheeseburger then why not.

I remember when I first moved to Scotland, it was a Sunday in August and I needed supplies. It was about 4pm, and I rushed to Tesco's worrying that it would be closed, but delighted it was still open. I asked the security guy what time it closes, and he looked at his watch and said "Christmas".

I lived in Scotland for 6 years, and loved the fact that Tesco was open 24/7 with the exception of only two days a year, it's crap in England when you want to go shopping on a Sunday evening but it's closed.

The only thing that grated about Scotland was they didn't sell beer until 12:30pm, which was annoying when you were doing a weekly shop in a morning. Common sense would be nice, if I'm sober, and buying £200 worth of groceries, then I'm not a pisshead that needs a bottle of white lightning for a quick fix, I'm buying a crate for the week.

silly it's because this issue is blindingly obvious, it isn't that people can't go a day without mcdonalds, however there are long journeys made and people still have to work. If they want sustenance in the form of a cheeseburger then why not.

This has as much to do with my distain for big businesses (particularly American ones) as it has to do with trading hours so you'll have to excuse me for my ranting. One of my favourite authors, Bill Bryson, is an excellent commentator on how life/culture/identity in America has been destroyed by big business and the parallels we are now showing. Pity Starbucks aint open too...like you say why not?

I can think of a 1000 reasons why not.

I used to work at KFC and the only day I was guaranteed to have off was xmas day, the busiest days we had were xmas eve boxing day new years eve and bank holiday mondays. People obviously thought it was far easier to just nip out to get some food than spend the time cooking. But almost everyone that came to the store were rude, like it was our fault 80 other people had the same idea, at the same time to go to KFC!!

This has as much to do with my distain for big businesses (particularly American ones) as it has to do with trading hours so you'll have to excuse me for my ranting. One of my favourite authors, Bill Bryson, is an excellent commentator on how life/culture/identity in America has been destroyed by big business and the parallels we are now showing. Pity Starbucks aint open too...like you say why not?

I can think of a 1000 reasons why not.

alright, I know bill bryson hates big business, he expresses that motion in one of his books i have, I can't remember the title, it's about him as a child. Starbucks is in my opinion overpriced rubbish, i think whether globalisation is good and all the debate comes with it, is a tad different to should one singular big business be open on christmas day, they are related but only slightly.

alright, I know bill bryson hates big business, he expresses that motion in one of his books i have, I can't remember the title, it's about him as a child. Starbucks is in my opinion overpriced rubbish, i think whether globalisation is good and all the debate comes with it, is a tad different to should one singular big business be open on christmas day, they are related but only slightly.

Can't see many small businesses being open 24 hours and on Xmas day. Anyway, I realise I'm one of few who seems to be bothered about stuff like this so will bow out on this discussion now.

Can't see many small businesses being open 24 hours and on Xmas day. Anyway, I realise I'm one of few who seems to be bothered about stuff like this so will bow out on this discussion now.

It's still your opinion though Silly - which is just as valid as anyone elses.

Archived