Mark O’Brien set to play against Watford

Day

Mark O’Brien set to play against Watford

Sixteen-year-old defender Mark O’Brien could be handed a taste of first-team action for Derby County tomorrow.

Nigel Clough is considering naming the Irish youngster in the 16 to face Watford at Vicarage Road in the final Championship fixture of the season.

O’Brien (main picture) was named Academy Player of the Year this week and could be joined in the squad by one or two other youngsters.

“Having this last game, although it is only one game, it does give us the opportunity to get two or three young lads involved,†said Clough. "You can’t learn too much from one game, it is about giving them the experience and saying ‘this is where we want you to be in six months, a year, two years time, whatever. This is the sort of level we want you to play at’.

"Mark O’Brien may well be involved. He is a centre-half, just 16, and we have been hugely impressed with him since we came in.

"He is very competitive, he puts his head on the ball and does things naturally.

"There are some things you can’t coach into young players, he just goes for the ball.

“Just to get him on the pitch in the Championship will be invaluable experience for him.â€Â

O’Brien, born in Dublin, turned 16 in November and will become a full-time scholar in the summer.

He has played for the Rams’ Academy Under-18 team this season and is the current Republic of Ireland Under-16 international player of the year.

Derby will be looking to finish the season with a victory to follow their 1-0 home win against Charlton Athletic last weekend.

“Whatever side we put out, we would like to take the three points,†said Clough.

“We would like to finish as high as possible. It would be nice to go into the summer two games unbeaten, with two wins.â€Â

Watford sit in 15th place in the Championship, one place and one point above the Rams.

Derby striker Chris Porter, who has missed 10 games with a hip problem, will not be risked.

“He has been very close to coming back in a couple of matches recently but we’ve got the luxury now of not risking him,†said Clough.

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/academy-star-set-for-rams-chance]http://therams.co.uk/stories/academy-star-...for-rams-chance

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reality is unless you've been snapped up by a academy by time your 13/14 you will never play for Derby, unless your Malcom Christie and Cloughie goes scouting in supermarkets.

Might be a hidden gem ? On the one hand I am pleased he is giving him a chance - but i hope they are going for the 3 points, and not to play like it's a training game. We want to be entertained - over to you Matty !

Well Vicky, i agree with what you say firstly! this match will mean a hell of a lot to the lad and i hope to see him put a good performance and effort into it and that the match is taken seriously. I personaly want to see those extra 3 points on the table and would treat it as any other game. But i think Clough is using this as an exercise to see who he wants in, and who's out which is why Roy and Tito could feature in this fixture.

Just still find it hard to beleive someone younger than me will be playing first team lol, i will get used to it as i get older! haha

Last chance saloon for Carroll then - I am surprised Lewis Price isn't playing ? I would rather keep him than Carroll on his big wages - don't mind Tito playing though - I am sure O'Brien will play his heart out for us, and you make the most of it Matty while you are still young - we are all jealous I can't wait for the game to start.

Originally posted by CumbrianRam;13599

So ...................... how did he get on?!?

good.

One for the future for sure. I watched him warming up at half time and he hit 10 consecutive passes 40 yards and the target player never had to move an inch to trap the pass. Every one dropped straight on his foot.

Archived