Clough 2 more, sell sell sell first

Day

NIGEL Clough is delighted with the new faces brought in this summer but the Derby County manager believes the squad is still two players short going into the Championship campaign.

Nine signings have been made since the end of last season.

Frank Fielding, Jamie Ward and Theo Robinson have arrived in permanent deals following loan spells with the Rams.

Jason Shackell, Craig Bryson, Chris Maguire, Nathan Tyson, Adam Legzdins and Kevin Kilbane have also been signed.

Clough feels an experienced central midfielder and another option in attack are needed but added that any further additions at this stage are only likely if other players are moved out.

"We are conscious that not too many have left. We have got a few experienced players still here in the last year of their contracts who we might have to move in the next few weeks. It would certainly make things easier," said Clough.

Goalkeeper Stephen Bywater and defender Dean Leacock are two players in the final year of their deals.

Bywater is now third or fourth choice keeper behind Fielding and Legzdins, and he has not featured in any of the pre-season friendlies.

Clough says there has been "no firm interest" in the two players and admits the club's wage bill is a little on the high side at present.

"We brought players in without getting rid of anybody first, so we will just pause for a little while," said Clough.

"We have got another three or four weeks of the transfer window being open and we will see what happens.

"We are delighted with the players that have come in, and the character of the players.

"Three of them were already here in terms of Frank Fielding, Jamie Ward and Theo Robinson.

"They have had six months with us and so, although they are new signings, we don't count them as such.

"It was time for a reshuffle, we needed the new faces, and despite what some people say we haven't actually spent that much money.

"Over the last two and a half years our net spend is quite modest compared to some sides.

"I think the teams that have challenged in the Championship over the last few seasons have built their squads up over a period of time.

"At Cardiff, Dave [Jones] built a great squad up over two or three years and they were there year in, year out, and that is what we are still in the process of doing.

"Last season, Queens Park Rangers had an abundance of experience in their squad.

"They had about six strikers to choose from and had experience through the heart of their team which was vital.

"We are still trying to assemble that."

Clough is about to embark on his third full season as Derby manager.

He was appointed in January 2009 and inherited a top-heavy, high-earning squad that needed an overhaul.

"I think now the squad is more in tune of where we are financially at the moment, we certainly could not continue along the lines of two and a half years ago," said Clough.

"And that will be an ongoing thing especially with the rules coming in in 12 months time where clubs have to get their financial house in order.

"We are a long way down the line to doing that but still have some way to go."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NIGEL Clough is delighted with the new faces brought in this summer but the Derby County manager believes the squad is still two players short going into the Championship campaign.

Nine signings have been made since the end of last season.

Frank Fielding, Jamie Ward and Theo Robinson have arrived in permanent deals following loan spells with the Rams.

Jason Shackell, Craig Bryson, Chris Maguire, Nathan Tyson, Adam Legzdins and Kevin Kilbane have also been signed.

Clough feels an experienced central midfielder and another option in attack are needed but added that any further additions at this stage are only likely if other players are moved out.

"We are conscious that not too many have left. We have got a few experienced players still here in the last year of their contracts who we might have to move in the next few weeks. It would certainly make things easier," said Clough.

Goalkeeper Stephen Bywater and defender Dean Leacock are two players in the final year of their deals.

Bywater is now third or fourth choice keeper behind Fielding and Legzdins, and he has not featured in any of the pre-season friendlies.

Clough says there has been "no firm interest" in the two players and admits the club's wage bill is a little on the high side at present.

"We brought players in without getting rid of anybody first, so we will just pause for a little while," said Clough.

"We have got another three or four weeks of the transfer window being open and we will see what happens.

"We are delighted with the players that have come in, and the character of the players.

"Three of them were already here in terms of Frank Fielding, Jamie Ward and Theo Robinson.

"They have had six months with us and so, although they are new signings, we don't count them as such.

"It was time for a reshuffle, we needed the new faces, and despite what some people say we haven't actually spent that much money.

"Over the last two and a half years our net spend is quite modest compared to some sides.

"I think the teams that have challenged in the Championship over the last few seasons have built their squads up over a period of time.

"At Cardiff, Dave [Jones] built a great squad up over two or three years and they were there year in, year out, and that is what we are still in the process of doing.

"Last season, Queens Park Rangers had an abundance of experience in their squad.

"They had about six strikers to choose from and had experience through the heart of their team which was vital.

"We are still trying to assemble that."

Clough is about to embark on his third full season as Derby manager.

He was appointed in January 2009 and inherited a top-heavy, high-earning squad that needed an overhaul.

"I think now the squad is more in tune of where we are financially at the moment, we certainly could not continue along the lines of two and a half years ago," said Clough.

"And that will be an ongoing thing especially with the rules coming in in 12 months time where clubs have to get their financial house in order.

"We are a long way down the line to doing that but still have some way to go."

Thankyou Mr. Clough

Thankyou Mr. Clough

Exactly :D

I wonder what we might realistically get for selling Bywater and Leacock?

Perhaps our wealthy owners could show some ambition by chipping in with ‘some’ of that money now. This would help Clough bring in either the experienced central midfielder or the striker that he needs to make the squad more competitive.

The owners could arrange to recoup the money later this transfer window - or in January when the players are finally sold.

Exactly :D

I wonder what we might realistically get for selling Bywater and Leacock?

Perhaps our wealthy owners could show some limited ambition by chipping in with ‘some’ of that money now. This would help Clough bring in either the experienced central midfielder or the striker that he needs to make the squad more competitive.

The owners could arrange to recoup the money later this transfer window - or in January when the players are finally sold.

I suppose the wages are the issue. Over three years net spend is give or take £1m (I think, as posted in the "Signings" thread along with the sweet analogy!). But selling these pair along with all the wages would push it back to zero.

Sounds from that article like wages have crept up above where they are required to be - we could do with shipping out those pair and maybe Martin ASAP

Good point ramesses.

I think most of us realise that financial prudence is here to stay with our current owners, but wouldn't it be nice if they gave Clough the go ahead to bring in his 2 targets knowing they'd get a bit back in, or at least save on the wages of Leacock and Ratty.

For the sake of a few weeks surely Glick could authorise these two signings in the knowledge that he'd be getting a bit back soon.

Come on Tom me old son, maybe, just maybe, we could go into September with a reasonably well balanced squad, a decent mixture of youth and experience and still be in budget.

More importantly, give the fans that magic little ingredient that we need - a bit of hope that we are starting to move in the right direction.

Good point ramesses.

I think most of us realise that financial prudence is here to stay with our current owners, but wouldn't it be nice if they gave Clough the go ahead to bring in his 2 targets knowing they'd get a bit back in, or at least save on the wages of Leacock and Ratty.

For the sake of a few weeks surely Glick could authorise these two signings in the knowledge that he'd be getting a bit back soon.

Come on Tom me old son, maybe, just maybe, we could go into September with a reasonably well balanced squad, a decent mixture of youth and experience and still be in budget.

More importantly, give the fans that magic little ingredient that we need - a bit of hope that we are starting to move in the right direction.

Good point - when you look at the 24 players with squad numbers I actually think we are very close to a well balanced team.

A bit of wheeler-delaing and just a couple of the right players in before September will do exactly what you say...in budget and give hope.

Interestingly, i've just read that Savge is still getting paid.

"Simon Barker, a senior executive at the PFA, said that while contracts typically expire on 30 June, players are entitled to an extra month's severance pay unless they sign for a new club by the end of July."

So we have only just stopped paying him.....maybe that will free up the wages. I think it's more a case of transfer fees, but who knows.

Interestingly, i've just read that Savge is still getting paid.

"Simon Barker, a senior executive at the PFA, said that while contracts typically expire on 30 June, players are entitled to an extra month's severance pay unless they sign for a new club by the end of July."

So we have only just stopped paying him.....maybe that will free up the wages. I think it's more a case of transfer fees, but who knows.

I read that as well, I never knew that extra month severance pay was standard for footballers...does explain why players wait until after August 1st to sign!

Thankyou Mr. Clough

That's not really saying that he hasn't spent low though is it, more that other teams have been spending alot more.

The likes of Leicester/West Ham/Cardiff last season etc. They'll have spent far more than us, yet we've not done badly this season.

You're defending the defenceless.

Even our manager has come out and said we haven't spent alot. What more do you need? Clough knows where this money is coming from.....he also knows that he has to move players on before we get any in. In other words....we're skint. Like Uttox says, why can't we get these two players in so we can get a proper squad together. Surely Glick realises the importance of this.

He said we haven't spent alot on comparison with some other teams, which is true. He hasn't said there that we haven't spent alot of money. Merely that in comparison with others (Brighton/Leicester/West Ham) we haven't spent alot.

Which is true. But if you're looking to say that we've spent nothing then you're just twisting his words to your own cause.

But yes, it looks like Leacock and Bywater need to be shifted before we can get some more people in. But if there's no interest, what can you do?

You're defending the defenceless.

Even our manager has come out and said we haven't spent alot. What more do you need? Clough knows where this money is coming from.....he also knows that he has to move players on before we get any in. In other words....we're skint. Like Uttox says, why can't we get these two players in so we can get a proper squad together. Surely Glick realises the importance of this.

His words were "....it would make it easier" with regards getting more in, he doesn't say it is necessary to sell before signing.

Sounds to be like he can afford a pack of Tesco frozen burgers but he'd rather sell some unwanted household junk on eBay and buy a nice steak.

At the moment he's got no watchers or bids on any of his listings although he's happy to wait for his steak even if it means relisting them for a longer duration.

Let's be honest here, who wouldn't want a steak instead of a chewy frozen burger?

Maybe you're ignoring his full statement and drawing conclusions to suit your own needs?

In comparison with others, it's not a big net spend. We're probably mid-way in net spend terms. But we've still spent a fair bit, just that others have been spending a hell of alot. That's going to happen given the spending power of some of the teams now in the league.

(At davecov, i'm too bloody slow with these replies)

Archived