Deafening Silence

Stimacked

What is going on.

Glick has suddenly gone silent on the mess we are in heading into the new season this weekend. A few frustrated whinges from Clough about the injury table but nothing about further squad strengthening.

No news on the supposed Director of Football,

No comment on the failure to fully strengthen the squad so that we can be "competative" this season. Glick has said maybe way back at the start of July that we are still in for a midfielder, a full back and a forward, or something on those lines. That has been all he's said on the subject and we look less and less competative by the day.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the signing we have made were spread over longer period of time you wouldn't be complaining.

I agree - I know there are gaps but we've signed 9 players (is it?!). "Mess" is a bit strong.

I know we need a few more, but the window is open for another 30 days then there are loans. Not ideal, but not a mess surely.

You want to see a mess? Go and have a look how Coventry are doing. Also Forest, Birmingham, Palace, Barnsley have hardly had inspiring summers

Glick and Clough have both said the next batch of transfers will be towards the end of the window, I think "possibly to the wire" was the wording Clough used. They have also said that we are looking for a left back, a defensive midfielder and a striker.

Glick also told us that the DoF wasn't about this window, it is an appointment looking at the future, and there was no rush to get him in.

We could ask them to repeat this if it calms everyone down.....

Ive received A letter today from Tom Glick, it says and I quote,as I write this letter we are in the process of recruiting players to further improve us.and, Our expectation is to be successful this season and produce A team that entertains excites,particularly when playing at pride park.There you have it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Ive received A letter today from Tom Glick, it says and I quote,as I write this letter we are in the process of recruiting players to further improve us.and, Our expectation is to be successful this season and produce A team that entertains excites,particularly when playing at pride park.There you have it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
Thats it then:rolleyes:

What a load of Yankee bullshit.PMSL

What is going on.

Glick has suddenly gone silent on the mess we are in heading into the new season this weekend. A few frustrated whinges from Clough about the injury table but nothing about further squad strengthening.

No news on the supposed Director of Football,

No comment on the failure to fully strengthen the squad so that we can be "competative" this season. Glick has said maybe way back at the start of July that we are still in for a midfielder, a full back and a forward, or something on those lines. That has been all he's said on the subject and we look less and less competative by the day.

What were you expecting from them?

"yes our signings have been average at best, we've got nobody who can score goals, no cover at the back, no defensive midfielder, so come on down to PPS everybody and get your season ticket money back"

You'd think he could have made an effort to get the grammar right. Useless Yank :)

You want to see a mess? Go and have a look how Coventry are doing. Also Forest, Birmingham, Palace, Barnsley have hardly had inspiring summers

Maybe they didn't have owners who went out of their way to suggest they're going to storm up the league next year.

Maybe they didn't have owners who went out of their way to suggest they're going to storm up the league next year.

Did Glick really go out of his way to suggest we were going to 'storm up the league' though? All the interviews I heard were talking of progression and intending to improve. Top 6 was mentioned as where we are want to be, but it certainly wasn't a 'we are going to spend millions and definitely be top 6' type statement. It wasn't even 'we aren't going there to make up the numbers' one either. Half the problem is people reading what they want into every statement that's made by the club, and then where their particular interpretation doesn't happen, accuse the club of lying/spinning the truth/whatever.

Did Glick really go out of his way to suggest we were going to 'storm up the league' though? All the interviews I heard were talking of progression and intending to improve. Top 6 was mentioned as where we are want to be, but it certainly wasn't a 'we are going to spend millions and definitely be top 6' type statement. It wasn't even 'we aren't going there to make up the numbers' one either. Half the problem is people reading what they want into every statement that's made by the club, and then where their particular interpretation doesn't happen, accuse the club of lying/spinning the truth/whatever.

Poor paraphrasing but such like "we're confident we can achieve our goal of getting a top 6 side together if we work hard on our targets..." is one of a number of similarly fashioned statements that came from the club.

Don't accuse me of being away with fairies on this score chap, they don't come more suspicious, skeptical and downright pessimistic than me. I don't read into anything they say because I don't believe a word of it- and that is an accusation.

IMO Glick did go out of his way, infact he almost went full time on it for a period, afterall considerable income depended on it.

Thats it then:rolleyes:

What a load of Yankee bullshit.PMSL

Ever thought he means those words? Do you think our squad has been strengthened this season?

If these signings had been spread out, as previously suggested, we'd all be delighted. But as it is, they were all clumped together and so it seems as though we have been slow in the market.

We're short two signings in a summer where we've already signed 8 plus a loan to cover where we haven't managed a signing.

If these signings had been spread out, as previously suggested, we'd all be delighted

Are you serious? ;)

You just can't please some people <me>

The top six is the objective," Glick said. "We are going for promotion, we expect to be a top-six side.

"If we don't go up next year, we expect to be continuing to be in that position until we get through."

Are you serious? ;)

You just can't please some people <me>

Makes it seem like we've done nothing for ages, we just did most of our business early, which makes them seem like non-signings (if that makes sense?)

If we'd waited to sign the three loan players (Fielding/Robinson/Ward) until the last three weeks i'd say that fans would be much happier.

The top six is the objective," Glick said. "We are going for promotion, we expect to be a top-six side.

"If we don't go up next year, we expect to be continuing to be in that position until we get through."

Could easily be interpreted to mean 'we're happy with 19th again next year'

:)

Archived