When do we give up on clough??

adamD

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albert i never disputed whether it was correct or not, i was just saying that .................

albert v young ram 15.....the forum equivalent of dog fighting.

once their jaws lock they never let go.

I will just do a comparison, in the late 20's early 30's the nazis were very popular in Germany

Godwin's Law: prov.

[usenet] “As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.” There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x69/Genoeidos/TheGameYouLose

albert i never disputed whether it was correct or not, i was just saying that some people do well at a certain club with a formula but can't replicate it, to say he is a solid manager based on a northern premier division title to me is not true. It shows he can do well at that level, but not anywhere else, like i say you can give numerous examples of people who have done really well at one club with a couple of promotions but then they have gone onto other clubs and not done nearly as well.

When we sacked Paul Jewell, who would you have appointed?

Who could we have appointed that had PROOF that he could work on long-term projects and run clubs on shoe-string budgets?

Who would have had the patience and would have accepted to work with a Derby County side that was probably the least attractive in the league whilst being told to slash it in half?

Who else would our ignorant fans have given so much time before blaming the results on the manager, ignoring the virtually impossible task laid before him?

Clough was the best man for the job. His best achievment in his managerial career has not been taking a part-time club to league football. It's been keeping Derby County out of the third tier.

When we sacked Paul Jewell, who would you have appointed?

Who could we have appointed that had PROOF that he could work on long-term projects and run clubs on shoe-string budgets?

Who would have had the patience and would have accepted to work with a Derby County side that was probably the least attractive in the league whilst being told to slash it in half?

Who else would our ignorant fans have given so much time before blaming the results on the manager, ignoring the virtually impossible task laid before him?

Clough was the best man for the job. His best achievment in his managerial career has not been taking a part-time club to league football. It's been keeping Derby County out of the third tier.

if you think that nigel clough was the best man for the job then you truly are insane or blind. If any other manager had done what nigel did before he came to derby he wouldn't have been given an interview.

if you think that nigel clough was the best man for the job then you truly are insane or blind. If any other manager had done what nigel did before he came to derby he wouldn't have been given an interview.

By you perhaps.

Mind you if that logic had been applied in the 60's then we probably wouldn't have won 2 league titles and Forest possibly wouldn't have won theirs and 2 European cups.

actually technically i don't know if brian was the least qualified candidate on the job list and brian I think had managed at a higher level than nigel when he was appointed. Also brian could only achieve success with Peter Taylor i think. Football was a completely different game then than what it is now.

YR, you ignored my question. Who would you have appointed?

And why would being blind have any impact on my ability to judge who is a good manager and who is not...

It's pathetic to call me "truly insane" for having a different opinion to yours.

actually technically i don't know if brian was the least qualified candidate on the job list and brian I think had managed at a higher level than nigel when he was appointed. Also brian could only achieve success with Peter Taylor i think. Football was a completely different game then than what it is now.

Brian had 18 months at fourth division level with Hartlepool He was the youngest manager in the football league.

Peter Taylor had 3 years experience at non-league level(Burton) before joining up with Clough at Hartlepool

I doubt they were the highest of qualified managers that were available. Not too dissimilar managerial experience to Clough Junior either.

It is resonable for someone to think a certain person is not up to a job, and also have no definite idea who may be.

It is, but youngram 15 is suggesting I have no intelligence whatsoever and that I need to be put in an institution for believing Nigel Clough was the right man for the job.

If I was that wrong, surely you can suggest ONE person who would have been suitable?

It is, but youngram 15 is suggesting I have no intelligence whatsoever and that I need to be put in an institution for believing Nigel Clough was the right man for the job.

If I was that wrong, surely you can suggest ONE person who would have been suitable?

Its a while back now, and I can not remember exactly who was available at the time.

There where lists on many forums, and I may be wrong, but I do not believe Nigel was the favorite choice on a lot of them.

Was Curbishley one of the favorites at the time, maybe also O'Neill :unsure:

Its a while back now, and I can not remember exactly who was avaliable at the time.

There where lists on many forums, and I may be wrong, but I do not believe Nigel was the favorite choice ona lot of them.

Was Curbishley one of the favorites at the time, maybe also )'Niell :unsure:

Curbishley would have been diabolical. O'Niell would have been good but his wages would have been so high it probably would have meant even more cut backs in playing staff.

You've also got to remember, the manager has to have contacts in the lower leagues. Having contacts in any of Europe's top leagues would have been useless with a transfer budget in negative figures...

i think it is insane to say at the time that clough junior was the best qualified person for the job in all honesty. Also i didn't mean being blind literally, it is a metaphor you are probably joking but i think just in case you weren't i have explained. I am not suggesting that you have no intelligence, some mad people have been very intelligent e.g. Nietzsche. I would have said megson was more qualified than clough at the time, also i can't remember 2 years back exactly who was available.

Curbishley would have been diabolical. O'Niell would have been good but his wages would have been so high it probably would have meant even more cut backs in playing staff.

You've also got to remember, the manager has to have contacts in the lower leagues. Having contacts in any of Europe's top leagues would have been useless with a transfer budget in negative figures...

curbishley would have been diabolical? you mean the guy who did brilliant with charlton was close to europe and the year he left they went down and now are in the third tier? oh yeah he was awful.............

i think it is insane to say at the time that clough junior was the best qualified person for the job in all honesty. Also i didn't mean being blind literally, it is a metaphor you are probably joking but i think just in case you weren't i have explained. I am not suggesting that you have no intelligence, some mad people have been very intelligent e.g. Nietzsche. I would have said megson was more qualified than clough at the time, also i can't remember 2 years back exactly who was available.

I have a different opinion to yours, and you are calling me insane. That's not on.

Well surely if Clough was a more disastrous appointment than your dad, you must have remembered someone, or someone we could have paid compensation for?

And Megson was not more qualified, most definitely not. Do you think our fans would have given him the same patience as Clough when he did the dirty work? And his track record at Forest was not what we needed.

Clough's name is precisely why he was the right man for the job. It gives him immunity. It buys him time. Our fans will blame the manager for anything (see our track record of managers since Brian Clough) and will ignore the fact that the job's impossible.

How we could have hoped for anything more than what we've got I do not understand.

Archived