Interview with the Doyles

davenportram

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Conor Doyle, he is progressing nicely and should make the grade if he continues in the same vein.

On a lighter note, last year, at the match immediately before Sav's birthday, I called Conor over to the barriers in front of our seats in the East Stand, holding up a card, Conor sprinted over to me, I think he was expecting to sign his autograph and seemed deflated when I asked him to give the birthday card to Robbie. He gave a little chuckle and went back to his pre-match warm up. Next time Conor, I will request your autograph !! Nice lad, very polite, a credit to the club.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's part 2 - Interview with Conor Doyle

http://www.soccerbanter.org/doyle-family.html

Last year at this time Conor Doyle was worried about taking final exams at Creighton University and figuring out his summer plans. Fast forward to today and Doyle is just about to complete his first season as a professional player with Derby County in England and just a few weeks ago represented the United States at the U20 World Cup Qualifiers. It was great speaking with Conor and we look forward to following his future success in England and for the United States.

Soccer Banter: How would you describe the last year of your life?

Conor Doyle: It’s been an incredible year and I couldn’t ask for much more. The only thing that could top it would be scoring a goal for Derby County before the end of the season. Last Spring I graduated High School early and enrolled at Creighton University, which was a great experience. I enjoyed being there and playing with a great group of guys. Following the Spring semester, I came to Derby for a trial and ended up playing in every pre-season game and was offered a contract. It has been an unreal experience and then to represent your country is such a great personal honor.

SB: How did the trial at Derby County evolve?

CD: It actually began two summers ago when I was playing club soccer in Sarasota and again in Greensboro that some coaches for Michigan Wolves noticed me. They contacted Derby County and I went over in 2009 for a few weeks in the summer to train. While at Creighton, Derby County called again and I went over last summer and made enough of an impression to sign a professional contract.

SB: What has your first season of being a professional in England been like?

CD: This first season has been great in a development aspect, getting used to the passion of the fans and the everyday experience of being a professional player. I believe this year will help me push onto a more prominent role in the first team.

SB: How would you compare the experience off the field with fans/media in England compared to the US?

CD: There is no comparison between the fans and the media coverage in England relative to the United States. The passion of the fans is immense, and Derby County have great fans, some of the best. The fans here can’t believe that in the United States, home and away fans sit together. That passion from the fans is getting better in the MLS, just look at Seattle and Vancouver. On the media side, every paper, everyday on the back page is stories about teams, players, and managers. It is all football here everyday.

SB: Your dad is a former professional player and now a coach, what role has he played in your development?

CD: My dad has had the biggest role in my development. Ever since I could walk, I had a ball at my feet and when I was younger I would tell everyone that I wanted to be just like my dad, a professional soccer player. My dad was great though and encouraged me to play other sports and didn’t put pressure on me. I couldn’t of asked for anything more from my dad.

SB: What's the most memorable moment in your soccer career so far?

CD: Most memorable moment was when I started on New Year’s Day against Preston and had my first assist. We won the game 2-1 and my Aunt, Uncle, mom and little brother were all there to see it. Prior to turning professional, my best memory is of winning a national championship for my club team.

SB: I assume you have seen The Damned United, how would you compare Nigel Clough to his legendary dad Brian Clough who is portrayed in the movie?

CD: I actually have not seen the movie and I know I need to do. It’s hard for me to comment but in my short time here it’s easy to see how much of a legend Brian Clough is. There is a statue of him outside Pride Park and in Nottingham City Centre.

SB: There is a bit of a battle between Ireland and USA for your services, have you made up your mind yet or could it be a case of who offers you a cap with the full team first?

CD: After playing in the recent qualifiers for the United States, my mind was made up for me and I always felt more of a tie with the US. It was a good experience with the Ireland team and I will forever be grateful but my allegiance is with the United States.

SB: Robbie Savage is retiring this season and is character that is hated by many but loved by others. How would you describe your experience with him this past year.

CD: Robbie is a great character, he is great in the dressing room and provides great banter. As young as I am, I look up to him as a role model and if you know him personally, he is a great person. He is very professional and will be missed at Pride Park.

SB: In your first year in England, who was the best player you played with and the best player you played against?

CD: Kris Commons who was here at Derby for the first part of the season is a great player. He has true quality and I saw everyday in training and in the games. Earlier in the season, Jimmy Bullard tore us apart, felt like we were all chasing him around the field.

SB: I'm sure over the course of the past 9 months your goals have changed quite a bit as a player, where would you like to see yourself in 3-5 years?

CD: I honestly don’t think that far ahead. Short term I am thinking more about finishing this season strong and then working hard this summer to get into the first team again next year. Long term I want to still be playing and hopefully staying at a high level.

Turns out he was spotted by the Michigan Wolves, our partner club in the states and spent a summer with us in 2009. Wonder if there are any more being spotted?

Turns out he was spotted by the Michigan Wolves, our partner club in the states and spent a summer with us in 2009. Wonder if there are any more being spotted?

......and credit is due here to our owners.

It's interesting to hear what Conor Doyle has to say. Can't imagine playing a game called "soccer" at uni, then getting picked up by a second-tier English club I know little about and then discovering what it's all about. An entirely different world.

Only if he is good enough. Can't just play someone because they give good interviews.:frown:

What a peculiar reply, no mention of playing him just because he gives a good interview.

I for one think Doyle us pretty good for his age and has improve a lot over the season. His time with Irish and US youth teams will have done him some good.

I also hope he has a long career with us because it will mean we will have spotted a youngster with talent and been able to nurture that talent.

What a peculiar reply, no mention of playing him just because he gives a good interview.

I for one think Doyle us pretty good for his age and has improve a lot over the season. His time with Irish and US youth teams will have done him some good.

I also hope he has a long career with us because it will mean we will have spotted a youngster with talent and been able to nurture that talent.

Also might attract other youngsters from America and other places in the world when they see we can work well with them.

Love Doyles story and think its absoulty great!! I really like the guy and really hope he does come into the first team and is good enough..

I will never forget reading a post by the guy after new year. His mum and family came to the Nottingham Forest away game and their reaction on the atmosphere and fans made me laugh they could not believe it. I mean just imagine visiting MLS soccer games where they do **** all in relation to noise, they sit together and not say a peep and then coming to Nottingham Forest vs Derby County on a crimbo evening....it would blow you away!

doyle strikes me as a quintessentially holesome american lad who is truely overjoyed to be playing the game. like he says its what he has always wanted to do! my girlfriend is form the states and i can say one thing of the americans that i know is that once they set their mind to something they go for it. i can see this trait in conor doyle along with a really great level of humility. i have said in other threads that this is the kind of player clough wants. workers, try hards and an attitude of not giving up when things get tough. thats why he loves savage so much. conor doyle will be an exciting player next year and could be a sweet piece of business.

good luck to the kid and i hope he gets his first league goal.

Archived