Varney back next week

Day

Luke Varney will return to Derby County next week following his one-month loan at Sheffield Wednesday.

The striker’s stay at Hillsborough ends after the Owls’ home game against Southampton on Saturday.

“Luke will be coming straight back and he will feature against Reading on Tuesday,†said Rams manager Nigel Clough.

Varney has made three appearances for Wednesday and although he has not scored, he has impressed, according to sources in Sheffield.

Illness and injury have restricted the 26-year-old to nine games for Derby since he arrived on loan from Charlton Athletic in November before his £1m move became permanent in January.

Clough allowed Varney out on loan to gain match fitness but said the player was in his plans.

Varney is determined to be a success at Pride Park.

“I’ve got a long-term contract and I’m hoping that I can do the business at Derby,†he said.

His last start for the Rams was in the home defeat by Queens Park Rangers on January 17 – Clough’s first game as manager.

Clough is hoping striker Chris Porter can play some part in the final four matches of the season.

A hip injury has kept Porter out of the last seven games.

“There’s a chance of Chris being available at some point in those four games, we’re not sure when, but he’ll be the main one we are looking to get back,†said Clough.

Leading scorer Rob Hulse is still battling through the pain.

He has been playing with knocks and strains in recent weeks.

“Rob put in three very good performances in the space of six days. If we had a few more like him, we wouldn’t be in the position we are in,†said Clough.

[url=http://therams.co.uk/stories/varney-set-to-return-to-derby-from-loan-spell]http://therams.co.uk/stories/varney-set-to...from-loan-spell

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if he Mr Clough wants to come talk to me, i can tell him iv seen Reg on the buses play a lot more times in league mathes than he will have. Not questioning his ability but that bloke is a shambles no where near worth 1m. A rushed signing when we had a shortage of strikers by Jewell, He has done things with confidence but Varney was his typical sort of player (****) never looked like scoring a goal or bringing a threat! id rather have Sterj upfront and that says a lot because i think little of him aswell.

Did alright at Sheff Wednesday apparently, I wouldn't say he's a natural out and out striker that will score you 20 goals a season and theres the problem, when your a striker everyone judges you on goals.

Originally posted by Boyciniho;10328

I'll get you Matty!

hahahahahahha

Id feel more trusting in having him upfront scoring goals rather than this bloke we wasted 1 million on.

Theres only so much "magic" he can do, because its not magic its good man-management of players which Jimmy obviously didnt do. Wouldnt waste time and effort trying to polish a terd as to say, would be happy shipping him off and getting someone with some actual goal scoring ability and not just a blind signing out of desperation

Archived