Travelling the world.

WorksopRam

I hope throughout my life to see as much of the world as I can, possibly as part of my bob as well.

I contemplated taking a gap year starting September but with Uni prices going up, that'll be on hold until after.

Has anyone travelled the world at all and been to any exotic or breath-taking places? :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not travelled myself apart from the usual holiday spots but my son, who is 27, left to work for a company that provides temporary power stations round the world.

In the last six years he has worked, lived or travelled to,

Dubai (head office)

Kenya

Uganda

Rwanda

Mozambique

Mauritius

Tanzania

South Africa

Somalia

Sudan

Ethiopia

Libya

Morocco

Venezuela

Brazil

Peru

Colombia

France

His next places are to be Argentina and then Bangladesh!

He hates airports!

He was over for Sheffield United away and the Barnsley home game recently.

He has Derby shirts and flags pinned up in a few ex-pat bars here and there and met up with a couple of Derby lads in South Africa during the World Cup.

He has quite a few tales to tell!

That's incredible. I'd be jealous but I'm more excited at the prospect of travelling myself someday! haha.

I think my ideal job would be a camera man or something on the Planet Earth, Life, Deadly 60, etc kind of programmes.

To get to see and experience new sights and cultures all over the world would be enough for me; more than money, fame and what have you.

You get one chance to see the world, gotta make the most of it!

That's incredible. I'd be jealous but I'm more excited at the prospect of travelling myself someday! haha.

I think my ideal job would be a camera man or something on the Planet Earth, Life, Deadly 60, etc kind of programmes.

To get to see and experience new sights and cultures all over the world would be enough for me; more than money, fame and what have you.

You get one chance to see the world, gotta make the most of it!

That would be quality.

2 of my mates have just left to go travelling, mainly across Asia. Worked from September to March and now travelling until the end of August, in India at the moment. Something i would like to do, but not enough to save up for it.

Mmm got me thinking where have I been, travel is good for the soul. Sounds mushy but the more I have travelled the more I have realised people are people. By that I mean the same hopes, dreams, wanting a better life. Anyway I digress, apart from the usual annual euro stuff I've done.

Dubai

Thailand (islands, mainland)

Singapore

Bali

Lombok (including the Gili islands)

New Zealand (North & South Island twice)

Oz (East, North, West, middle but not south coast)

Tahiti

Maldives

US (LA and Vegas)

Maldives was spectacular. But all round beauty and vibe would have to be NZ. Lads stag gotta be Vegas baby :D

To Do - Would love to do South Africa and South America. But now I'm older with a mortgage and all that it's pretty darn impossible. So you young uns, my advice is to do as much travelling as humanly possible and leave the "proper" job till your mid twenties.

Mmm got me thinking where have I been, travel is good for the soul. Sounds mushy but the more I have travelled the more I have realised people are people. By that I mean the same hopes, dreams, wanting a better life. Anyway I digress, apart from the usual annual euro stuff I've done.

Dubai

Thailand (islands, mainland)

Singapore

Bali

Lombok (including the Gili islands)

New Zealand (North & South Island twice)

Oz (East, North, West, middle but not south coast)

Tahiti

Maldives

US (LA and Vegas)

Maldives was spectacular. But all round beauty and vibe would have to be NZ. Lads stag gotta be Vegas baby :D

To Do - Would love to do South Africa and South America. But now I'm older with a mortgage and all that it's pretty darn impossible. So you young uns, my advice is to do as much travelling as humanly possible and leave the "proper" job till your mid twenties.

Some great places there mate, bet you've got some brill stories and pictures!

How did you afford it all at the time? :)

It was broken down. First world trip was in 2001 after uni. Did a crap job for 8 months, lived like a monk and had enough on a shoe string budget.

Next one was 6 years later so had the benefit of savings. For Oz and NZ you can get working holiday visa's. Lots of manual work in oz, NZ a bit more tricky but if you're a graduate you'll find work no probs.

Maldives was a honeymoon, I spent more in that week than I did on my first world trip (gulp).

You've just got to pick your places. Europe is way overpriced. Malaysia/indonesia still relatively cheap. Oz and Nz will eat your money if you don't work 50% of the time and travel 50% of the time.

If you ever need an agent Trailfinders are brilliant. Nearest one in Nottingham (the shame). STA are also good (again Notts).

Yeah lots of pictures although I try not to preoccupy myself with taking too many, would rather enjoy the moment and have the memories!

As a seasoned traveller I would say my best advice is to travel light. Sounds obvious but less to lose and carry, and apart from a few clothes which you can replace country to country, an ipod, camera and memory stick what else do you need!

My advice would be to spend all of your twenties touring the world. That's what I did and I have never looked back. It shouldn't harm your career chances as any employer worth their salt would want to employ someone with a good dose of worldly experience.

I left University in 93, started off in France working a summer for Eurocamp and then lived in many different countries doing many different jobs before finally settling in another country I was only supposed to be staying a year or two in, Japan.

I still spend up to ten weeks a year seeing the world and I am fortunate enough to have a job that can afford me the time off.

There are some great places to see and some great places to live.

Try a company called Peace Boat. They cruise around the world and you can be a part of that. All you have to do is work on the cruise liner and you can tour the world for nothing and meet some lifelong friends and contacts while your there.

My advice would be to spend all of your twenties touring the world. That's what I did and I have never looked back. It shouldn't harm your career chances as any employer worth their salt would want to employ someone with a good dose of worldly experience.

I left University in 93, started off in France working a summer for Eurocamp and then lived in many different countries doing many different jobs before finally settling in another country I was only supposed to be staying a year or two in, Japan.

I still spend up to ten weeks a year seeing the world and I am fortunate enough to have a job that can afford me the time off.

There are some great places to see and some great places to live.

Try a company called Peace Boat. They cruise around the world and you can be a part of that. All you have to do is work on the cruise liner and you can tour the world for nothing and meet some lifelong friends and contacts while your there.

I'm graduating this year (crapping myself too :eek:) and I want to travel but I just can't decide where to start.

I've been lucky enough to see some of Europe but there are some cities/areas I want to see, maybe with Keycamp as an inbetween thing.

How competitive were jobs for Eurocamp in 93?

Gap year is that a new term for being a lazy bummer ?What is it with today;s youth must do a year of touring at the parent's expense fecking lazy ***** get a job and save up you young tossers .

Have no time for these waste of space ***** in my day you got a job after school has education got that hard you need a year out you lazy good for nothing *****.

Not travelled myself apart from the usual holiday spots but my son, who is 27, left to work for a company that provides temporary power stations round the world.

In the last six years he has worked, lived or travelled to,

Dubai (head office)

Kenya

Uganda

Rwanda

Mozambique

Mauritius

Tanzania

South Africa

Somalia

Sudan

Ethiopia

Libya

Morocco

Venezuela

Brazil

Peru

Colombia

France

His next places are to be Argentina and then Bangladesh!

He hates airports!

He was over for Sheffield United away and the Barnsley home game recently.

He has Derby shirts and flags pinned up in a few ex-pat bars here and there and met up with a couple of Derby lads in South Africa during the World Cup.

He has quite a few tales to tell!

Thats the way to do it Uttox see my previous post imo your lad is a credit to you worked his way around the world.

Its a bee in my bonnet about this gap year ***** well done your lad and his like.

I'm graduating this year (crapping myself too :eek:) and I want to travel but I just can't decide where to start.

I've been lucky enough to see some of Europe but there are some cities/areas I want to see, maybe with Keycamp as an inbetween thing.

How competitive were jobs for Eurocamp in 93?

If you apply to a company called Holidaybreak (Keycamp and Eurocamp are both under their umbrella) then you should get something.

Great company to work for in the summer (May~September) and you can work anywhere in Europe.

Gap year is that a new term for being a lazy bummer ?What is it with today;s youth must do a year of touring at the parent's expense fecking lazy ***** get a job and save up you young tossers .

Have no time for these waste of space ***** in my day you got a job after school has education got that hard you need a year out you lazy good for nothing *****.

totally agree with you neo on this score!

The chance to go to uni was never an option for me, coming from a mining village nobody had any money.

I left school on a sunny Friday in '88 and started work on the Monday. Earned £29.50 for a 40 hour hard graft week and most of that I had to pay board. Had enough left for bus fares.

Touring the world? Not a cat in hells chance - so if anybody gets the opportunity, grab it with both hands.

For the past 6 years or so, I've never took a penny from my mum, so I wouldn't call myself one of these young or lazy expletives.

Neo, think before you post mate. Please.

All my friends who are about to take gap years have basically had no lives to pay for their gap years. They've worked their socks off and I completely admire them for it.

They're doing a number of things to give something back to the world, including looking after African orphans, rebuilding parts of Pakistan hit by the Earthquake and working in a wildlife reserve in the Amazon.

To call them lazy is a bit of an insult really.

In your day there were jobs. If you were in their shoes you're telling me you would pass up the opportunity to travel (which over the years has got cheaper). Plus myself and others I know who have travelled have payed for it themselves. Are you Geoffrey Boycott??

Archived