Clough joint favourite for sack with Micky Adams

GeneralRam

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he'll be sacked this late in the season. Maybe something might happen in the summer but I think the board will just keep him and keep running the club in the same way for the foreseeable future, unless season ticket sales start to slump dramatically, forcing them into some sort of action.

Clough stays and Derby go down.

Simples!!!

Not neccesarily, Clough has a 10 year plan, but The Board apparently have to cough up extra money if we get to The Premiership within 5 years, so its a toss up who will crack first...

Not neccesarily, Clough has a 10 year plan, but The Board apparently have to cough up extra money if we get to The Premiership within 5 years, so its a toss up who will crack first...

just wondering where this claim comes from - and it is particularly strange that they spent so much on wages and bringing so many players if they had were concenred about paying extra money for promotion within 5 years.

:D:D:D:D i got 10 year plan that includes winning the lottery feck off non league Nigel

Nigel Clough told his job is safe despite Derby County's dismal run• Board expects Clough to be managing Derby next season

• Manager says team needs six players to be competitive

Share Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 2 March 2011 22.30 GMT

Nigel Clough's position as Derby County manager remains secure until the end of the season despite a fifth successive home defeat that prompted supporters to turn on him for the first time since he took charge at Pride Park 26 months ago.

Derby fans chanted "You don't know what you're doing" after Clough withdrew the on-loan striker Theo Robinson moments after Doncaster Rovers scored their second goal in a 3-1 victory on Tuesday night. It was the latest setback in a dismal run during which Derby have picked up only two wins in 16 matches and gone from promotion contenders at the end of November to relegation possibles.

The Derby board, however, has remained supportive of Clough throughout the team's poor run – which also included an embarrassing FA Cup defeat by Crawley Town – and their stance has not changed in the wake of the Doncaster result. The board insists Clough will be in charge until the end of the season and also expect him to be in the post at the start of the next campaign. There is also no suggestion that Clough is considering walking out on the Championship club.

The former Burton Albion manager has, though, sounded increasingly exasperated with Derby's performances over the last few months, and it remains to be seen whether he decides to review his plans in the summer, when he would have another major rebuilding job on his hands if he chooses to continue in the role.

Funds are limited at Pride Park and Clough, who has overseen a significant cut in the wage bill since he arrived from Burton, had not put any pressure on the board to invest heavily in the squad. The Doncaster defeat, however, prompted the 44-year-old to suggest Derby needed to recruit as many as six players in the close season if they are to make an impact in a division where they have been treading water since they were relegated from the Premier League in 2008.

"I think we need more than one [striker]," Clough said. "I think we need about half a dozen good, established Championship players to take us forward. I don't want to sound like somebody else down the road [billy Davies, the Nottingham Forest manager] going on about 'we need this and we need that'. But I certainly think we're at the stage now where we need a few players to move forward.

Asked whether he meant before the loan window closed or in the summer, Clough replied: "That's more thinking into the summer, which might be a bit presumptuous. We've shown a little bit of potential this season but we've also shown how fragile we are at times as well. We need players that don't show that as much. We have experienced players at the moment who I don't think are helping us out as much as they could be."

:redface: (is it me or has this guy got a bit of blind spot)

Nigel Clough told his job is safe despite Derby County's dismal run• Board expects Clough to be managing Derby next season

Share Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 2 March 2011 22.30 GMT

Nigel Clough's position as Derby County manager remains secure until the end of the season despite a fifth successive home defeat that prompted supporters to turn on him for the first time since he took charge at Pride Park 26 months ago.

Derby fans chanted "You don't know what you're doing" after Clough withdrew the on-loan striker Theo Robinson moments after Doncaster Rovers scored their second goal in a 3-1 victory on Tuesday night. It was the latest setback in a dismal run during which Derby have picked up only two wins in 16 matches and gone from promotion contenders at the end of November to relegation possibles.

The Derby board, however, has remained supportive of Clough throughout the team's poor run – which also included an embarrassing FA Cup defeat by Crawley Town – and their stance has not changed in the wake of the Doncaster result. The board insists Clough will be in charge until the end of the season and also expect him to be in the post at the start of the next campaign. There is also no suggestion that Clough is considering walking out on the Championship club.

The former Burton Albion manager has, though, sounded increasingly exasperated with Derby's performances over the last few months, and it remains to be seen whether he decides to review his plans in the summer, when he would have another major rebuilding job on his hands if he chooses to continue in the role.

Funds are limited at Pride Park and Clough, who has overseen a significant cut in the wage bill since he arrived from Burton, had not put any pressure on the board to invest heavily in the squad. The Doncaster defeat, however, prompted the 44-year-old to suggest Derby needed to recruit as many as six players in the close season if they are to make an impact in a division where they have been treading water since they were relegated from the Premier League in 2008.

"I think we need more than one [striker]," Clough said. "I think we need about half a dozen good, established Championship players to take us forward. I don't want to sound like somebody else down the road [billy Davies, the Nottingham Forest manager] going on about 'we need this and we need that'. But I certainly think we're at the stage now where we need a few players to move forward.

Asked whether he meant before the loan window closed or in the summer, Clough replied: "That's more thinking into the summer, which might be a bit presumptuous. We've shown a little bit of potential this season but we've also shown how fragile we are at times as well. We need players that don't show that as much. We have experienced players at the moment who I don't think are helping us out as much as they could be."

:redface: (is it me or has this guy got a bit of blind spot)

Please explain your last comment. Clough is now putting pressure on for money. The board will either crack and sell or crack and invest. We wanted Clough to ask for money and this is what he has asked for. If he is wanting establsihed championship players (6 of them) then this will cost money. Clough over last couple of months has been in a ***** position and if any one of us was in his position you would have bottled it ages ago. Told no money, no wages, no chance to improve, make do can't do your job get on with it and we will support you, how would you feel.

What your entry does say is Clough has reached breaking point with the board and is now starting to put pressure back on their shoulders it is their decisions which decided the squad and wages had to be cut

Unsurprised to see that the blame for the current situation lies with the players again in NC's last sentence, I hope you're right RotherhamRam and he gets the players he needs, time will tell I guess.

Please explain your last comment. Clough is now putting pressure on for money. The board will either crack and sell or crack and invest. We wanted Clough to ask for money and this is what he has asked for. If he is wanting establsihed championship players (6 of them) then this will cost money. Clough over last couple of months has been in a ***** position and if any one of us was in his position you would have bottled it ages ago. Told no money, no wages, no chance to improve, make do can't do your job get on with it and we will support you, how would you feel.

What your entry does say is Clough has reached breaking point with the board and is now starting to put pressure back on their shoulders it is their decisions which decided the squad and wages had to be cut

I had a similar experience in a foreign country many years ago. No money to sign players, simply led to poor level players, poor performances, defeat after defeat, you end up trying everything and anything to try and win, but all one is doing is "plugging gaps" This is possibly the reason for so many changes/players out of position

The opposition now realize you are there for the taking, and just like a team raises its game against the top clubs, they are also smart enough to know this current Rams team will buckle under constant pressure.

Add in missing players with injuries, total lack of confidence, and this is a hole that will be tough to get out of........until better level players come into the club! NC may well be finally reaching his breaking point, but he has known this situation for a long time, and his choices are possibly limited to leaving the club or battling on in the same environment for the for seeable future.

What? We'd all have bottled it ages ago? Comments like this let down what is an otherwise good argument. You have no idea who the people are on this board, what they put up with daily or how they would react in that situation. Comments like this are trying to portray Nigel as some god like creature who nobody else could ever put up with what he has. Leave it out, he's a manager of a football club for crying out loud!

I think Nigel is trying to put pressure on the board now as for the first time he's feeling the tide turning from the fans towards him. It's a very clever comment from him. It shifts focus back on a lack of funding and uses it to explain our current position, if the funding isn't forthcoming then the board will shoulder the blame. He blames the experience in the squad, so therefore the players that he didn't sign. It also serves to try and put him closer to the fans again with a snipe at BD. Some fans will lap that up.

Again blame has gone down to the players, but he's shifted it up to the board too. Funny it's everyone elses fault, think a few fans would have more respect for him if he took a portion of the blame rather than a soundbite about not wanting to be BD by asking for money for players, at the same time as asking for money for players.

I was initially surprised that he only wanted six players, until I remembered that of course, he's only allowed a maximum of 5 loans... :frown:

What experience. Of the starting line up last night the only experience really was Savage and Green

Barker?

I presume he's talking generally, players like Pearson, Bywater, Leacock, Roberts, even Croft, all of whom have been poor this season.

What? We'd all have bottled it ages ago? Comments like this let down what is an otherwise good argument. You have no idea who the people are on this board, what they put up with daily or how they would react in that situation. Comments like this are trying to portray Nigel as some god like creature who nobody else could ever put up with what he has. Leave it out, he's a manager of a football club for crying out loud!

I think Nigel is trying to put pressure on the board now as for the first time he's feeling the tide turning from the fans towards him. It's a very clever comment from him. It shifts focus back on a lack of funding and uses it to explain our current position, if the funding isn't forthcoming then the board will shoulder the blame. He blames the experience in the squad, so therefore the players that he didn't sign. It also serves to try and put him closer to the fans again with a snipe at BD. Some fans will lap that up.

Again blame has gone down to the players, but he's shifted it up to the board too. Funny it's everyone elses fault, think a few fans would have more respect for him if he took a portion of the blame rather than a soundbite about not wanting to be BD by asking for money for players, at the same time as asking for money for players.

Good post Wilko Ram and exactly what I think as well.

Archived