Davies rewarded at Rams with a new contract

NothernRam

STRIKER Steve Davies has signed a new contract with Derby County.

The 23-year-old's current deal was due to expire in the summer and he has agreed a one-year extension.

There is also a one-year option beyond 2012.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Striker-Davies-rewarded-Rams-new-contract/article-3201250-detail/article.html

I think it's a good deal. But i'll be annoyed if Porter gets new deal.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
STRIKER Steve Davies has signed a new contract with Derby County.

The 23-year-old's current deal was due to expire in the summer and he has agreed a one-year extension.

There is also a one-year option beyond 2012.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Striker-Davies-rewarded-Rams-new-contract/article-3201250-detail/article.html

I think it's a good deal. But i'll be annoyed if Porter gets new deal.

I think that is good news. 18 months for him to stay fit and playing to prove his worth for the extra year. Let's hope he has a blinding rest of the season.

You can guaruantee that his wages will be in line.

Davies is an interesting one, as I don't think many people could doubt that he does have the talent to be our best player. It's just just the staying fit part. I think this deal is a good one for the club as we can see if he will stay fit for next season then extend it it so.

Given that one of the reasons coming from the club for not renewing Commons' contract earlier where doubts about his fitness Im astonished.

I can only assume that Daivies has accepted a big pay cut to stay , or at least I hope he has!!

He came from Tranmere with a pretty poor injury record so I doubt he was on much anyway.

Given that one of the reasons coming from the club for not renewing Commons' contract earlier where doubts about his fitness Im astonished.

I can only assume that Daivies has accepted a big pay cut to stay , or at least I hope he has!!

Heres Cloughs reasons - from http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Striker-Davies-rewarded-Rams-new-contract/article-3201250-detail/article.html

"We all know Steven has the ability to become an established player at Derby County but last year we had question marks over his fitness levels," said Clough.

"Steven proved to us in the summer just how determined he was to put a stop-start two years behind him. He reported back in fantastic shape.

"The injury he suffered in pre-season was exceptionally unlucky and throughout his rehabilitation programme his focus was undeterred.

"His character has been a breath of fresh air, he has worked incredibly hard and if anyone deserves a slice of good fortune, it is Steven.

"The contract is a reward for all the hard work he has put in since the end of last season but he knows it doesn't stop here and he has to maintain the standards he has set himself."

He got an unlucky injury in training - prior to that he showed determination to come back early and get fit. He has recovered quicker than expected from the injury he had. Showing good character and that he is working hard to get back into the team.

For me I agree he has shown the desire and want necessary for that 1 year extension to prove his worth and that he can stay fit for a long time. The club has worked hard on his rehabilition too, how would we all feel if we let him go for free and then he played 46 games for his next club next season and set the world on fire. Its not really a gamble on him as it is only for a definite 1 year period with an option to extend if he proves good and consitent enough.

Commons was a different kettle of fish. It was always going to have to be a long contract because of other clubs showing interest over the past two years. So we needed to be sure he would be able to contribut to the majority of games. He proved that and was offered a contract.

Dont get me wrong , Im glad he is staying - Im sure he has ability and as we all know we have little else at the club , I am just surprised at the timing , I would have prefered to see him play a few more games of 90 mins before commiting to another year.

I think his potential (and our ability to have ex rams batter us on return) deserves ayears extension. Lets face it his knee was really bad luck.

I think the optional second year is clever work by clough, glick and Co and is part of them learning from the Commons contract. If Davies stay for and plays well into the start of next season we can tie him down immediately without other clubs having the chance to turn his head.

I'm pleased with this news.

I agree with you there but if he stays fit now and puts away half a dozen or more goals this season and gets a couple more early next season I would imagine there would have been some then. This move by the club has saved us from that worry in a relatively risk free manner.

Archived