steve howard

trooper

His build up play certainly helped, but I maintain that it had far more to do with Fielding that we had that run.

Confidence in your goalkeeper is priceless, he really needs signing up.

Besides which, Kuqi was a bloody awful finisher of chances, not really someone you can rely on to score goals for you.

Yes I agree with that, with Fielding in goal, it gave the defenders the confidence to play the ball out, and the full backs the chance to go forward.

Maybe he wasn't the best finisher but he could hold the ball up and others scored. When he started we scored 16 goals in 6 games. When he hasnt started this season (when we havent had him etc.) We have scored 25 in 23 games.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe he wasn't the best finisher but he could hold the ball up and others scored. When he started we scored 16 goals in 6 games. When he hasnt started this season (when we havent had him etc.) We have scored 25 in 23 games.

Indeed, but that was all to due with Fielding, we'd let less in and so confidence throughout the team was massive.

If you look closely at alot of the goals we scored, despite Kuqis hold up play being great, he wasn't involved in all that many goals (creatively).

There was a piece on Rob Hulse when we played Southend in Pre-Season where Clough said that Rob was finding it difficult not doing that much in his role.

I think the kind of player that Clough wants is the one who'll be in the position to score every time and one who's finishing is decent. Build up play is important, but Moore was good with this with Commons.

Alot of people looked at it as laziness, it wasn't. It's just he always wanted to be in a position to score. And it showed, he did very well for us and scored more goals than Kuqi in a shorter stay, plus created goals(his link up play with Commons for the goal against Norwich was excellent).

That's the kind of striker that Clough wants. Unfortunately, Kuqi doesn't fit the bill.

Ah, Steve Howard.

Wouldn't want him back (never wanted him to go though) but a brilliant target man and one of my favourite players.

Thought Barker beat him when he came on last season at PP. But he hammered Barks at the Walkers this season. Barks don't get hammered in the air! He needs to give Howard and Bothroyd a good elbow when he meets them next. Only players i've ever seen too much for him.

Archived