Gary Megson appointed Sheffield Wednesday manager

CumbrianRam

Sheffield Wednesday have appointed former West Brom, Bolton Wanderers and Stoke City boss Gary Megson as their new manager.

Megson replaces Alan Irvine, who left Hillsborough on Thursday with the Owls lying 12th in League One.

The 51-year-old has agreed a three-and-a-half-year contract and again links up with Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric, whom he worked under at Leicester City.

Megson made 286 appearances as a player in two spells with the Yorkshire club.

He was appointed Leicester boss by Mandaric in September 2007.

But he left the Walker's Stadium after only six weeks to take charge of Premier League side Bolton Wanderers.

On Thursday, Mandaric told BBC Radio Sheffield: "I'm interested in Gary Megson. Whether he gets the job, that's different.

"He's top drawer and has tremendous experience. I rate Gary highly."

Megson, who has also had spells in charge of Norwich, Blackpool, Stockport and Nottingham Forest, has been out of work since leaving the Reebok Stadium in December 2009.

"He's worked in the Premier League and the Championship and taken teams up," added Mandaric. "And he has worked in a lot of difficult circumstances."

Irvine left Hillsborough with Wednesday, who were relegated from the Championship last season, sitting five points above the League One relegation zone and eight points off the play-off places.

"You have to make a change," said Mandaric. "We just couldn't justify this, not for me, but for the whole club.

"We had a good man, who worked very hard, but things were not going in the right direction. You can't do anything else but make the change.

"We want to bring in the proper guy who will stop the results we've been having and turn us around."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/9386999.stm

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday fan at work was pleased, he said it would be good to see a 'wednesday fan' at the reigns of the club, suppose I can see where he is coming from, he is certainly somone who will grind out draws, amongst losses and wins, don't think I could stomach his football though.

Archived