Owls Sack Irvine

Hartley Hare

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/9385962.stm

Sheffield Wednesday have parted company with manager Alan Irvine with the side lying 12th in League One.

Chairman Milan Mandaric held crisis talks on Wednesday following the club's 5-3 defeat at Peterborough.

Irvine, 52, leaves after just 13 months in charge, with the Owls currently eight points off the play-offs and just five points clear of the bottom four.

The club is yet to comment but an official announcement is expected later on Thursday.

Irvine signed a three-and-a-half year deal at Hillsborough in January 2010 after being sacked by Preston in December 2009.

However the former Crystal Palace and Everton midfielder failed to keep the side in the Championship, and Wednesday have struggled in the League One campaign so far this season.

Former Owls captain Darren Purse, who left the club by mutual consent two weeks ago to join Millwall, told BBC Radio Sheffield: "I'm gutted for Alan.

"I worked with him for a year and I have never known anyone who works as hard as him."

The 33-year-old added: "It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him as we started the season really well but recent results haven't been good.

"The squad doesn't just deserve to be in the promotion places in League One, it should be in the Championship."

The Owls have failed to win in their last six league games and conceded 19 goals, but Wednesday chairman Milan Mandaric had backed the under-fire manager last week.

Irvine had also made several recent moves during the January transfer window, bringing in Reda Johnson, Gary Madine, Mark Reynolds and Michael Morrison to bolster his squad.

Wednesday are currently eight points adrift of the League One play-off places following Monday's 5-3 defeat by Peterborough, which saw Irvine's side lose their grip on a 3-2 lead after Darren Potter was sent off.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have to have some sympathy for the bloke, his managerial record at both Preston and Wednesday is actually pretty good.

....similar to Arthur Cox at Derby in terms of points per game.

Archived